Author Topic: What Movie Did You Just Watch  (Read 70525 times)

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
Re: What Movie Did You Just Watch
« Reply #1935 on: April 17, 2017, 01:42:13 PM »
One of these days, I'll try to watch the rest of the Furious movies. I've seen the first 2, which I thought were fine, 2 Fast's weird Drive-esq subplot aside, but I haven't seen anything special yet. But apparently it gets a lot of fun with the fifth film?

It's weird that a franchise doesn't get particularly good until the fifth entry, but I do enjoy mindless action as much as the next person.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
  • "And all that'll be left is pure, white ash..."
    • Email
« Reply #1936 on: April 17, 2017, 03:06:05 PM »
I've never really cared for these movies, myself. The closest I came to really enjoying one would be with Fast Five, in which Justin Lin really managed to step up as a director in terms of action and pacing, but even that didn't rise up much beyond the level of dumb fun.

Even the seventh film, which I specifically watched because it had James Wan attached to it (being that I'm a fan of his recent horror films) really did nothing for me.

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1937 on: April 19, 2017, 12:15:52 AM »
I haven't caught up with the franchise or saw F8 of the Furious yet, but I saw something that I'll probably enjoy more- Raw. It's a weird little horror flick that I can't really put a finger on what sect it belongs to.

But it doesn't matter, since it's hella enjoyable throughout.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1938 on: May 01, 2017, 02:25:22 PM »
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is no more.

It's probably for the best, since he isn't a very good director. I'd like to see Ripley again, but maybe we shouldn't? I still don't know how I feel about Covenant.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

• Forward & Up!
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Head Of City Security
  • Keep Moving
« Reply #1939 on: May 01, 2017, 02:59:15 PM »
Blomkamp shared some artwork he made for a proposed Alien 5 that would bring Sigourney Weaver’s Ripley and Michael Biehn’s Hicks back into the fold, essentially serving as a direct sequel to Aliens.
:cry:

Bad director or not, this was the only good idea the movie franchise has had since the early 80s.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1940 on: May 06, 2017, 05:36:10 PM »
I saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 last night. The short summation of it is that it's a lot of fun, but not quite as good as the first movie.

That said, when I heard early criticisms of the film, I was worried that this would be another case of Iron Man 2 or Age of Ultron (I enjoyed Age of Ultron, but it still had problems with staying focused on its main story at times). That's really not the case here. Despite juggling so many characters, the movie actually manages to let them all be fleshed out in equal parts. I think where a lot of people have issues with the movie is how the plot essentially splits up the Guardians into two parties for most of the movie, and also the lack of a central villain until the end. On the first point, I actually appreciate that the movie took an Empire Strikes Back approach, not so much in the tone as this movie is still fairly light-hearted, but in terms of not just copying the first movie and actually splitting up the characters to further develop them on their own. While I don't like this as much as the first movie, I like it a whole lot more than if the movie just would have done the first movie again by recycling the same general plot. As for the second criticism, I'm actually glad that the movie didn't take so much time to focus on another uninteresting villain. The MCU movies are notorious for having a plethora of lackluster and forgettable villains, and while I would prefer to see a good one, I'm not opposed to seeing them take more focus away from having a weak central villain throughout the plot to instead put more focus on the characters that we care about. That's probably a big reason for why this movie is actually able to handle so many characters without it feeling like a clusterfuck, which is a pretty amazing feat if you really think about how many other movies fumble with trying to do the same thing. And the character writing and performances still stand out as much as in the original, with a good number of funny and memorable lines and moments through the run-time.

While it's still only fresh in my mind, I'd personally say that this movie is around Ant-Man or Doctor Strange levels of quality. Pretty decent and entertaining spectacles with some good dialogue and interesting characters, though ultimately not nearly the best that Marvel has to offer.

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1941 on: May 06, 2017, 08:14:50 PM »
I really enjoyed the film, myself. It's not as striking as the original (which at the same time wasn't exactly that original to begin with), but it's nearly as fun. I do think that the music isn't as useful or iconic as the first one's choices (although I don't really like most of the songs from the first one either- their placement is where a lot of the movie's charm comes from), and some characters get a bit too many cheap laughs.

But the development among the characters is great, and what helps to keep this feel much more fresh than your average sequel. I especially like getting plenty of time with Rocket and Yondu, two of my favorite characters, together. They worked wonderfully together.

I think this is the most fun I've had seeing an MCU since the first one. I'd probably call Civil War a better movie, but I wouldn't call it fun. The only thing I'm worried about is if Gunn will be able to keep the mojo going with Vol 3. It's clear that he knows what he's doing with the characters, but there are times where it feels like he's resting on the first film's laurels. You can get away with that once, but it'll get old if he doesn't find a way to make the next one really stand out.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1942 on: May 06, 2017, 09:57:17 PM »
I actually feel that while not as good, this movie did quite a bit to differentiate itself from the first, so I'm not worried about Gunn playing it safe and resting on his laurels. I also feel that with the success of films like Deadpool and Logan, Marvel as a studio is realizing that they will need to take more risks in order to stay ahead of FOX, which has gradually been becoming steeper competition for Marvel against all odds.

LumRanmaYasha

• Beautiful Dreamer
  • ACROSS Star 1
  • Love is a Boomerang
    • My Art Blog!
« Reply #1943 on: May 06, 2017, 10:57:03 PM »
Guardians 2 was a lot of fun, and that's all I was hoping it would be. Yondu had a good arc and his dynamics with both Rocket and Starlord was great, and I was legit moved by his sendoff. Movie never lost sight about what's fun about these characters and Ego was handled pretty well for a Marvel villain even if the plot beats was pretty predictable. Baby Groot was also not nearly as annoying as I feared he would be, though his cutesyness was a bit overplayed at times. Overall it wasn't a movie that left a strong impression on me like the first one did, but I think it's a worthy sequel. Glad GOTG wasn't a one-hit wonder.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1944 on: May 07, 2017, 05:02:05 PM »
I just picked up Alien and Aliens on Blu-Ray in preparation of Alien: Covenant. I re-watched Alien last night and it's still a classic in my eyes. That said, I'm personally of the opinion that the middle third suffers a bit from becoming a bit too much of a typical horror movie what with all of the tropes and characters acting dumb in certain situations. It's still expertly designed and directed, but it does drag the overall quality of the picture down for me a bit. That said, the first and final acts of this movie are some of the most masterful pieces of film-making that I have ever seen to this day.

I'll try to give Aliens a re-watch later this week.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1945 on: May 21, 2017, 01:05:23 AM »
Just saw Alien: Covenant. Really mixed feelings about this one. There were some fascinating concepts explored throughout the film and some really brilliant moments of directing. However, the overall structure of the film was a mess and for every good moment there was something equally as stupid when it came to the plot or how the characters acted. It seems like outside of the first two movies, nobody has ever been able to find a way to write an Alien story in which the plot can progress without some characters acting like idiots.

For the record, I don't agree at all with the general hate that Prometheus gets. It's certainly a flawed film, but it does some fascinating stuff with the Alien lore, and the general mystery element of it is quite compelling. It has its dumb moments, but there's a lot of genuinely good stuff that makes it worth watching, at least for me. Covenant, on the other hand, seems to break a lot of rules and ignore the previously established lore of the older films, and in general it doesn't come off that interesting in regards to its overall story. There is one really interesting character that is quite a memorable antagonist, and is easily my favorite part of this movie, but I'll refrain from going into detail about it here for spoiler reasons.

Overall, though, while the movie was admittedly entertaining to watch once, I have no desire to ever really go back to it like I did for Prometheus. Say what you want about that movie, but at least it had a clear vision of what it was and didn't compromise on it. Covenant, meanwhile, felt like it had a story that Scott wanted to tell, but it got lost in so many elements that tried too hard to pander to what fans wanted and didn't get in Prometheus, leading to a final product that's all over the place.

Dr. Insomniac

• Thaumatrio
  • A Duck, Amuck
  • I Startled a Cult
« Reply #1946 on: May 21, 2017, 03:03:58 AM »
I'm still not sure what Scott wants to do with the Alien franchise. He states he has several movies' worth of stories to tell, but it mostly amounts to a couple fascinating ideas combined with character idiocy and recreating scenes from past Alien movies and watering them down instead of re-interpreting them the way the Fargo series twists and innovates on various Coen Brothers movies. The Alien franchise is going through this same crisis the Terminator series is, where they obviously can't die because Hollywood wants to keep churning installments out of them, but they often have to choose between letting new blood direct the movie while under heavy executive control (leading to talents like David Fincher to make tripe), or let the original directors come back to make anything they want despite having a questionable record of recent films. Which makes news that David Cameron will step in to produce Terminator 6: Schwarzenegger's Alimony questionable to me.

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1947 on: May 31, 2017, 10:28:18 AM »
I saw Alien: Covenant last night, and it was thoroughly okay. Some of the action sequences were cool, but god damn are the characters unmemorable or unrelatable. Only Fassbender makes some kind of impact, give or take Danny McBride. I feel that if the cast had some fine-tuning and this wasn't tied to Alien, it would be a better experience.

Also, the white Xenomorphs were disappointing.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1948 on: May 31, 2017, 04:53:31 PM »
Nerd mode: I'll have you know that only Protomorphs and Neomorphs appeared in this film, my good sir. There were no Xenomorphs whatsoever.[/nitpick] :>

Overall, though, the more I think about this movie the more I dislike it. I have problems with Prometheus, but overall still liked a lot of things about it and what it tried to do. This movie seemed like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a sequel to that or a prequel to Alien, thus it had this strange identity crisis. Prometheus at least tried to be thoroughly different from Alien and knew what kind of movie it was. It felt rather self-indulgent at times, but at least some of that indulgence was earned. Alien: Covenant feels like it's trying to be an Alien movie at times, but that makes it all the more frustrating when all of those elements are interceded with Ridley Scott's pretentious "look how smart I am" bull-shit. Doing a smart Alien movie can and has been done. Just look at the original film. It has smart themes and subtext, but do you know why it worked so much better? At no point did it forget that it was supposed to be a good monster movie first and foremost. Even back when I didn't understand some of its hidden meaning, I still basically saw Jaws in space, and it was excellent. The nuance to its story and narrative only helped enhance the experience on repeat viewings. It never once overtook the rest of the film. With Covenant, we start out with a scene so out of place that I momentarily wondered if this was originally supposed to be part of Blade Runners 2049, but even the original Blade Runner worked better because it knew to be a good futuristic detective noir story first with the philosophical elements complementing the main story.

For whatever reason, Scott these days seems more obsessed with exploring interesting ideas rather than actually telling a cohesive and engrossing story that can more subtly convey those same themes. I mean, if that's the case....why not just write some books instead?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 04:55:31 PM by Dr. Ensatsu-ken »

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1949 on: May 31, 2017, 11:11:25 PM »
It's weird how Wagner's work is meant to be a bookend and set piece to a film where a murder takes place during a shower sex scene. It's not a great balance.

New blog!