Author Topic: What Movie Did You Just Watch  (Read 71943 times)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
  • "And all that'll be left is pure, white ash..."
    • Email
Re: What Movie Did You Just Watch
« Reply #1995 on: September 10, 2017, 10:40:20 AM »
I feel bad for clowns in real life because of how IT, the Joker, and John Wayne Gacy have painted them as crazed murderers. I want a movie where a clown is the guy who saves the day just to fuck with viewer expectations.

Just for fun they should make the villain of that film an evil cosmic turtle.

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1996 on: September 15, 2017, 05:36:49 PM »
RIP Harry Dean Stanton

The man had a long life and incredible career. And it's been way too long since I've last seen Paris, Texas.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

• Elite Beat Agents
  • Slave To The System
    • Email
« Reply #1997 on: September 15, 2017, 10:10:31 PM »
I feel bad for clowns in real life because of how IT, the Joker, and John Wayne Gacy have painted them as crazed murderers. I want a movie where a clown is the guy who saves the day just to fuck with viewer expectations.
Then gets shot by Deadpool.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

• Thaumatrio
  • A Duck, Amuck
  • I Startled a Cult
« Reply #1998 on: September 20, 2017, 09:54:31 AM »
So I have no interest in watching the movie, but it's been fascinating to see guys like Half in the Bag and Critikal give their takes on mother! by Darren Aronofsky.

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1999 on: September 20, 2017, 12:04:37 PM »
mother! sounds like a trip, but not really in a good way. I'd consider using it for a bad movie night, but it sounds too bleak for that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

• The dude who runs this joint, more or less
  • The Epic Trinity
  • Slave To The System
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • Email
« Reply #2000 on: September 20, 2017, 10:54:13 PM »
I'll check it out on DVD probably, but yeah, more interested in people's reactions to it than actually watching it.

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #2001 on: September 23, 2017, 05:26:10 PM »

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

• Thaumatrio
  • A Duck, Amuck
  • I Startled a Cult
« Reply #2002 on: September 25, 2017, 07:23:57 PM »

But I thought this was a movie about religion...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #2003 on: September 25, 2017, 10:03:52 PM »
So, a whole eight years after it came out, I finally saw Watchmen for the first time. Originally when the movie was coming out I planned to read the graphic novel before it released, but I didn't really get a chance and with the polarizing reviews, I just decided to skip it altogether. I did eventually read the book, and then just recently re-read it which got me thinking that it's about time that I checked out the film version just for the hell of it.

Keeping my expectations relatively low, I ended up finding it to be not nearly that bad. It's riddled with a lot of Zack Snyder's obsession with style over substance, though not anywhere close to as much as something like Batman V. Superman, as there is at least a little bit more cohesion here. Really, this movie to me, as an adaptation, is the equivalent of what Game of Thrones is in comparison to ASOIAF when Dan and Dave don't have George to hold their hands and guide them along. That is to say that it's reasonably entertaining on a base level despite a fair share of cheesy and over-the-top moments, but it thoroughly misses the point of the source material by essentially glorifying the very things that its counterpart is specifically so critical of.

Also, what was with all of those insert songs popping up randomly during big scenes? This move came out last decade, well before this annoyingly overused trend was even a thing, but then again I suppose you could say that Snyder helped contribute to that very trend. It certainly wouldn't surprise me.

Still, it's alright for a Snyder film. I'd day that it was worth one watch. But it's certainly not the type of film that I'd ever care to revisit beyond that. Though, I will give it props for having a pretty excellent opening credits sequence.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:07:08 PM by Dr. Ensatsu-ken »

Dr. Insomniac

• Thaumatrio
  • A Duck, Amuck
  • I Startled a Cult
« Reply #2004 on: September 25, 2017, 10:15:59 PM »
What amused me the most about Watchmen's production history was when David Hayter of MGS fame wrote a script for Watchmen that would've set the story in the early 2000s and done some other changes, and it was the script that convinced Alan Moore to bite his lip and reluctantly say it was the closest Hollywood would ever get to adapting Watchmen correctly. Of course, Snyder got somebody else to heavily rewrite that draft for the final product.

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #2005 on: September 26, 2017, 10:11:21 PM »
Snyder doesn't seem to get the point of Watchmen, but it's a strong enough story and he gets enough of the basics right that it still turns out enjoyable.

Although I don't really get why he changed Rorschach's way of getting vengeance for the child killer, aside from wanting to make it more gruesome, I guess.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

• The Elephant's Peanut
« Reply #2006 on: September 27, 2017, 09:26:06 PM »

But I thought this was a movie about religion...

Oh, but it was. The Church of Our Holy Mother Nature.

Spark Of Spirit

• Forward & Up!
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Head Of City Security
  • Keep Moving
« Reply #2007 on: September 27, 2017, 10:17:04 PM »
Aronofsky is a weird guy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #2008 on: September 27, 2017, 10:25:18 PM »
Although I don't really get why he changed Rorschach's way of getting vengeance for the child killer, aside from wanting to make it more gruesome, I guess.

Most likely to avoid people complaining about it being directly lifted from Mad Max. The comic could get away with it because it was a different medium and could be seen as more of an homage, whereas he probably figured that people would bitch about it being a complete rip-off of that scene in the movie.

Of course, I could be giving Snyder too much credit and the more gruesome manslaughter may have been one of his "artistic" touches to "improve" the scene. Either way, it still fit in line with Rorschach's character, so it didn't really bother me nearly as much as some other changes that he made.

Like, I can understand him omitting the Giant Squid Monster at the end since it'd be too much for a common movie-going audience to take, but what he chose to replace it with doesn't even begin to make sense as soon as you stop to actually think about the logic of it (or lack thereof, in this case).

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #2009 on: October 10, 2017, 01:24:00 AM »
Stallone's taking over for Creed 2.

I gotta admit, this kills my excitement for the film. I'm not a big Rocky fan, but really liked the first one, a big part of which coming down to Cooglar's direction. I'm not sure if I needed to see more of Adonis and Rocky anyway, though, so it's not a big loss for me.

New blog!