"North by Northwest" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, September 24, 2011, 03:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

THE MASTER OF SUSPENSE WEAVES HIS GREATEST TALE!

Philip Vandamm: "Has anyone ever told you that you overplay your various roles rather severely, Mr. Kaplan? First, you're the outraged Madison Avenue man who claims he's been mistaken for someone else. Then you play the fugitive from justice, supposedly trying to clear his name of a crime he knows he didn't commit. And now, you play the peevish lover, stung by jealousy and betrayal. It seems to me you fellows could stand a little less training from the FBI and a little more from the Actor's Studio."
Roger Thornhill/"George Kaplan": "Apparently the only performance that will satisfy you is when I play dead!"
Philip Vandamm: "Your very next role. You will be quite convincing I assure you!"

Release Date: July 17, 1959
Studio: MGM
Director: Sir Alfred Hitchcock
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 (VistaVision)
Starring: Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason, Jessie Royce Landis

Plot Summary: Middle-aged Madison Avenue advertising executive Roger O. Thornhill is mistaken for a government agent by a gang of spies. He gets involved in a series of misadventures and is pursued across the States by both the spies and the government whilst being helped by a beautiful blonde.

COMMENTS?

LD Talkback #157

About time I did this...

Avaitor

I think I've said this before, but I believe that this film is responsible for the modern blockbuster more than any other film.

Dashing lead? Check.
Gorgeous love interest? Check.
Tons of explosive thrills? Check.
A menacing villain played with relish along with likable goons to spare? Check.
Cutting edge special effects? Check.
Twists and turns abound? Check.
A quick sense of humor? Check.
Oversized length to balance out narrative and entertaining scenes? Check.
References to the human anatomy? Check.

That said, it's better than just about anything that's taken the formula since.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/