Beware The Batman

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 04, 2011, 01:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Bader and Greenwood are really good too.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I don't mind other people playing Batman, the Joker, or anyone else, really. The DCAU cast is perfect, but they're not exactly the first to do the characters, and we've had a lot of good performances since then.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

As long as your last name is not Clooney, you're all right with me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The guy who does the voice of Batman on Young Justice is pretty good, IMO (I never actually bothered to find out his name, though). Also the dude who does Batman's voice in The Brave and the Bold is great (I don't know his name, either), but that's specifically for that golden age campy portrayal of Batman.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 10, 2012, 10:08:16 PM
The guy who does the voice of Batman on Young Justice is pretty good, IMO (I never actually bothered to find out his name, though). Also the dude who does Batman's voice in The Brave and the Bold is great (I don't know his name, either), but that's specifically for that golden age campy portrayal of Batman.
Bruce Greenwood is on Young Justice (He's also really good in Under The Red Hood) and Diedrich Bader is on TB&TB  (He also does serious pretty good on Chill Of The Night), and honestly I find them as good as Conroy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 10, 2012, 10:08:16 PMbut that's specifically for that golden age campy portrayal of Batman.

Right, so I can set it apart.

It's just that, with a darker Batman, every line he says just makes me think "I wonder how well Kevin Conroy would do that". He simply is that Batman to me.

Goldstar

Eh, I say. The fact that Beware the Batman is being done in CGI doesn't bother me. Green Lantern: TAS did alright, but I'm not jumping for joy at the prospect of yet another Batman animated series. I'd personally rather get a new Superman animated series, or Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel or a new Justice League animated series before the umptee-seventh take on Batman. I mean, yeah, Bats is cool and all, but how many different takes on Batman can we have before it starts to get old? Put the spotlight on some other DC characters for once, WB. Beware the Batman is just using money, time and effort that could be spent on a more deserving franchise that doesn't have a handful of series under it's belt already.

Ironically, I like Batman's character more when he's part of a team like the JL than when he's on his own.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

The only reason we're getting another Batman show is to plug it alongside TDKR. Which is also why we got the Green Lantern show shortly after the movie and we'll likely get a new Superman series when the next film comes out.

It's a major trend for DC and Marvel to make cartoons out of their properties as soon as their next movies come out, no matter how long it's been since we got the last one. And it's a trend I'm getting tired of personally.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

So am I.

They could have simply ordered more TNBA instead of making The Batman and it probably would have done better in the long run, and we could be getting new TB&TB episodes instead of more sub-BTAS material, but no instead we get another show just like the one everyone has already seen.

hobbyfan

Where I have a problem with Beware the Batman is who's also involved creatively. Mitch Watson.

If you have seen his take on Scooby-Doo, then you can understand where I'm coming from. He tore down one icon, and reinvented it as he saw fit (Scooby). He rebooted Dynomutt for a new era, and, even though I didn't see any season 2 eps of Sccoby-Doo: Mystery Inc., I am told this made some semblance of sense. Still, I disagreed with his handling of Funky Phantom in season 1 of SDMI, and it suggested to me that if he's as young as I think he is (30-something at the most), he has little care for some of the marginal characters from before his time. I shudder at the thought of what he could do with Batman. I don't like the design on Katana, either.

Glen Murakami, I am hoping, has more writers other than Watson writing eps for this show.

Spark Of Spirit

So we're going to see an overdose of shipping?

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 09, 2013, 12:56:05 PM
Well this is the age of blatant fanservice in entertainment. As long as there are tumblr fangirls to pander to, there will be needless shipping and callouts to write.

Look at Supernatural, for example.

New blog!

hobbyfan

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 09, 2013, 12:56:05 PM

Perish forbid if that happens.

Peanutbutter

Did anyone catch the premiere? I missed it because I was on the computer and thought they were playing it at 9:00 not 9:30. Hopefully someone will put it on YouTube this afternoon.

hobbyfan

There was a review in the NY Daily News by David Hinckley earlier this week. Show was to air at 10 (ET) this morning. Missed it due to doing laundry (like, hey, it happens), but I imagine before this time next week, it'll be On Demand.

They're using unknowns on this show for Batman & Katana's voices (and Hinckley got Katana's name wrong), and probably most of the cast. Time for a new star to be born, I suppose. Hinckley liked it, and I'm waiting to see if I end up agreeing.