Beware The Batman

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 04, 2011, 01:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I thought it was pretty good - surprisingly so. Still not on board with the art/animation, but I quite liked everything else.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 07, 2011, 01:56:41 PM
Hell no. I NEVER want to see Cassandra Cain animated. Worst Batman character ever. It's like having a bad anime character in the Batverse /rant
Note to self: talk about Cassandra as often as I can from now on, even in irrelevant threads.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Foggle on July 14, 2013, 12:07:05 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on October 07, 2011, 01:56:41 PM
Hell no. I NEVER want to see Cassandra Cain animated. Worst Batman character ever. It's like having a bad anime character in the Batverse /rant
Note to self: talk about Cassandra as often as I can from now on, even in irrelevant threads.

Foggle

Goldstar

The premiere episode of Beware the Batman was OK. I wasn't surprised by the lack of citizens in the backgrounds of Gotham City, since this series is being done in CGI and animating extras would have cost money. The fact that the show is being done in CG didn't bother me either; it was just like on Green Lantern: TAS where the characters looked like action figures come to life.

I didn't know what to make Pyg and Toad, since I know next to zip about the characters, but is Toad supposed to be some kind of mutant? I only ask because he doesn't appear to be a guy wearing a mask like Pyg.

I didn't even mind the more active, muscular and fit version of Alfred. My only complaint was his design; the artists should have given Alfred a mustache or some hair on the sides of his head, because here he looks too much like Lex Luthor to the point where I actually thought that he was Lex when I first saw him.

Also, guest appearance by Michael Holt, aka Mr. Terrific. Nice.

Generally, I would have much more preferred a new Superman animated series, but I suppose that this will do.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Lord Dalek

The main question in my mind when watching this: why is Alfred played by Lex Luthor with a butter roll glued to his chin?

Nel_Annette

I caught it before I had to leave for work...

>_>
<_<

I liked it...

Spark Of Spirit

Well, if you guys like it then I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Silverstar

Beware the Batman was OK for what it was, I just can't get excited about another Batman show. I'm basically Batmanned out at this point.

Now if we get a Superman series a la Green Lantern: TAS and this, particularly one which takes place in the super-ultra-modern looking Metropolis (as opposed to the ordinary-looking one from Man of Steel) and chronicles his own adventures with his co-stars and rogues' gallery combined with team-ups with other DC heroes, eventually culminating in the formation of the Justice League, then you've got my attention.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

hobbyfan

Watched it On Demand. I wish the nimrods would stop putting it up w/commercials included. They timed it to exactly 30 minutes, which meant the closing credits were cut off.

Like the Star twins, I'm not familiar with Prof. Pyg & Mr. Toad, since I didn't read Grant Morrison's Bat-books, but I'd imagine that Toad, in particular, might come from one of Kenneth Grahame's books, or was inspired by such. That said, that would explain the British accents on the villains. Stagg being there means we'll probably see Metamorpho, and Michael Holt, this generation's Mr. Terrific, may be back in that capacity.

As I wrote at TZ, this is a spiritual successor to The Batman in that it's still early in Bruce's career, but a clean shaven Alfred is a mistake. I gave it 2 1/2 stars (a B+ rating on my blog), taking points off for the 'tache-less Alfred. The CGI needs work, and you'd think WB would know better, but this is 3 CGI series (Clone Wars & GL being the others) that have their characters looking more like they were designed for a video game. Subtle hint at merchandising, perhaps?

hobbyfan

Ok, caught the show today. Not waiting around for On Demand this time.

Magpie looks better than her original design in the comics some 25-odd years ago, so that's a plus. I'm guessing Watson wants to posit her as his Catwoman, since she seems to be flirting with Batman. Problem is, she's schizoid, which the original Magpie wasn't, IIRC. First clue regarding Anarky, so he'll be along soon, and we haven't seen Katana in costume just yet. That's still to come.

Watson knows how to bring things along slowly, as he did with Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc.. However, there's a whole boatload of lesser-known villains, other than what's been announced, for him to play with. Done right, this could work real well. Done wrong, well, let's not go there just yet......

The Shadow Gentleman

Finally got around to watching this. It was good, but nothing really caught my interest. I'll just see where it goes.

Fingers crossed for a new Superman show.

Peanutbutter

I'm liking it so far. Nice that they're focusing on Batman's detective work, and how they're going about his budding relationship with Katana. I also like that Gordan isn't an immediate ally of Batman. That leaves a lot of good room for development. I thought Pyg and Toad were fun, but Magpie was cooler than them.

I didn't like her "Shiny, Shiny" catchphrase though, that wasn't needed because she's already established as a kleptomaniac. I get she's a psychopath like Batman's traditional villians, but it just made her sound like a Kindergartener. I can also say that I don't like when the backgrounds have so much empty space, now I'm getting why people don't like the CGI in this.

That aside, I'm looking forward to more episodes. Just hope this Anarky is worth the tiny buildup he's gotten.

Peanutbutter

Well, that's the third, fourth, and fifth episodes that went by. Anyone else catch them?

The third episode with Anarky was a little bit weak to me. I didn't like how the graffiti artists he employed were typical idiot henchmen we've seen before. Anarky's first appearance was okay, but he didn't blow me away. Hopefully, they'll show what he can really do the next time he shows up.

I'm not sure he should be the main villain in this series though, when they set up Ra's Al Ghul in the next two episodes. Katana gets fleshed out a bit in both. I loved the scientist she had to protect, he was funny. The atmosphere around the episode was good. Silver Monkey I think has one of the best designs in this show so far. Glad they didn't have Batman capture him so easily, and I'm sure Lady Shiva should be interesting. Can't wait to see how Al Ghul is in this though.

I also enjoyed the Humpty Dumpty episode. They did a great job making him creepy. Nice buildup between Gordon and Batman too.

Peanutbutter

Some episodes to discuss.

I'm really enjoying the arc with Ra's Al Ghul they have set up. Also, Katana has been handled pretty well with her learning different things from Batman. He's slowly but surely gaining trust and confidence in her. I just wonder what will happen with that scientist boyfriend of hers, considering he's still infected with Cypher.