Hunter X Hunter current manga discussion (Major Spoilers!)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, October 05, 2011, 06:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Chill, man. Spark and I joke around about Togashi all the time. I'd think you'd know better by now than to take us so seriously when it comes to poking fun at him. :humhumhum:

In fact, as the resident Togashi fanboy on this site, you've probably seen me praise him a lot more than I critique him for his sheer talent as a storyteller.

LumRanmaYasha

Sorry for misunderstanding. As someone who has had to take a medical leave from school for physical and mental health problems that were actively and painfully getting in the way of completing my thesis film, Togashi's circumstances hits a sensitive nerve. Not to mention I've been seeing similar statements about "what does he do in all his downtime" "why isn't he more productive" said unironically by fans beguiled by entitlement a lot already and it's a little irritating.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Sorry to hear about your medical issues. I've had numerous family members who've had to deal with the same sort of thing, especially my older brother who has been battling severe depression for years, so I'm definitely sympathetic to those circumstances.

And I understand the notion of being irritated by less understanding fans. The way I see it, that's just a level of ignorance that you will see from many fandoms, so I personally choose to ignore such comments. In the end, people will think what they want to think, but if you know better than it shouldn't affect your viewpoint.

Avaitor

It speaks to Togashi's impact and talents that Shueshia is so understanding of his hiatuses. But the man is in constant pain, and his stuff sells. Not to mention that he's one of a select few mangaka who have made multiple successful series for Jump.

It sounds like he's planning to make at least a volume's worth, and good for him.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, if you really stop to think about it, it's hard enough making it big in the biggest manga anthology publication of all time, but to strike gold twice is just absurd. Plenty of renowned mangaka in Jump have gained that status with one major hit, but only a select few like Akira Toriyama (though the West doesn't seem to ackowledge that anything he wrote before Dragon Ball even existed), Tsugumi Ohba partnered with Takeshi Obata, Masami Kurumada, and of course Yoshihiro Togashi himself have really ever managed to make it big after their first major success.

Spark Of Spirit

None of that excuses Greed Island or the first part of Chimera Ant.  :awesome:

He will write enough to make another volume for Shueisha, at the very least. One volume of the series sells gangbusters. If they get that much out of him he's basically worked enough to pay for his stay in the magazine.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Markness

Even though hiatuses get tiresome, it always feels like something is missing when HxH isn't around so it's always relieving when it comes back. As long as there's enough material for a full volume, I will be fine with it. The dark atmosphere of Togashi's world and quirky characters will always hold a place in my heart.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 27, 2017, 03:48:50 PM
Yeah, if you really stop to think about it, it's hard enough making it big in the biggest manga anthology publication of all time, but to strike gold twice is just absurd. Plenty of renowned mangaka in Jump have gained that status with one major hit, but only a select few like Akira Toriyama (though the West doesn't seem to ackowledge that anything he wrote before Dragon Ball even existed), Tsugumi Ohba partnered with Takeshi Obata, Masami Kurumada, and of course Yoshihiro Togashi himself have really ever managed to make it big after their first major success.

I'd wager that most of the West doesn't even know his post-Dragon Ball output. In my area, I am probably the only one who has read Cowa!, Kajika, Neko Majin Z, and Sand Land.

Avaitor

I only got around to reading Sand Land because it was serialized in the first few Shonen Jump issues we got stateside. But yeah, even Dr. Slump is fairly obscure here.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Markness

Quote from: Avaitor on May 30, 2017, 02:12:16 PM
I only got around to reading Sand Land because it was serialized in the first few Shonen Jump issues we got stateside. But yeah, even Dr. Slump is fairly obscure here.

I wonder why Viz skipped Kajika, though. It's older than Sand Land but younger than Cowa!, which both got licensed.

Has anyone seen the Viz release of HxH Vol. 33 out in the wild? None of the stores I go to have it at all.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The local BAM in my town has it, but their manga selection is pretty random since they rarely seem to restock anything. For example, they have a bunch of Ranma 1/2 two-in-one volumes and Ajin and Assassination Classroom and various other manga series of mid-tier popularity presumably because nobody over here is buying them. However they have been missing several volumes of series like Dragon Ball/Z, One Piece, and Yu-Gi-Oh, among other really popular ones, for months now.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Daikun

Daikun

HXH has reached chapter 400 and is going on hiatus again.
However, the manga is moving away from weekly serialization, so this won't be a long hiatus.

https://twitter.com/TheHxHSource/status/1605431262285553664

Daikun