Hunter X Hunter current manga discussion (Major Spoilers!)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, October 05, 2011, 06:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Looks like Togashi's artwork took a huge dip in quality again for now apparent reason. I guess he must have had a shit-ton of time to make the chapters that were running up until a couple of weeks ago, but now he must be making them weekly like normal mangaka, except without assistants or tons of time to do the artwork himself, the quality of his art becomes crap.

Anyways, I didn't like how he handled Gon finally meeting with his father. After an entire series worth of build-up, it was just brushed-aside and treated like such a minor thing, IMO. Well, it doesn't appear that he plans to end it here, though, given how Ging use a loophole on Gon and is now waiting for him at a new destination. I think I smell another arc coming up. I'd say that it could possibly be the last arc in the series, but we still have tons of unanswered shit left to see, like who the hell Gyro/Jairo is, and where the fuck Kurapika is. Perhaps in the next arc Leorio will decide to become a companion to Gon in place of Killua who now seems to have other priorities, such as protecting his younger sister.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

OMG! Kurapika! Togashi hasn't forgotten about him. All of a sudden this series feels like it may be relevant again after a string of nonsensical chapters. It was a rather....interesting choice on Togashi's part to do one of these so-called light-hearted chapters as a completely silent piece (save for the first 2 pages where Gon's dad tells him about his goal). Overall, though, I REALLY hope the next big arc which will probably start with the next chapter involves Kurapika. I really want to see what he's been up to after all of these years. Either that, or at least have Leorio become Gon's new main partner since Killua has split up on his own. I'd be totally up for Leorio taking Killua's place. I mean, I really like Killua as a character, but I feel that throughout the series he's reached the height of his character development and we've really seen all that there is to see about him and we know all that there is to know about him. Kurapika also got a ton of exposure in the York Shin City arc (though I wouldn't mind him become a primary focus of the next arc since we haven't seen him in so long). That said, I think that Leorio is WAY overdue for a chance to shine in the spotlight.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU, TOGASHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK YOU!!!! FUCK YOU!!!! FUCK YOU!!!! FUCK YOU!!!!

:anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :burn: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger:

Seriously, I might as well just wait until this series is done and then read it from start to finish rather than trying to foolishly read it as it releases.

Spark Of Spirit

Niizuma did it first!  :P

Anyway, I'm completely lost again. and I'm starting to think he is too.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 14, 2012, 03:38:44 PM
Niizuma did it first!  :P

Anyway, I'm completely lost again. and I'm starting to think he is too.

Actually, if anything this hiatus came at the clear conclusion of an arc (with the last chapter sort of transitioning into the next major arc), so if anything its at a nice set-point. I felt more lost when he constantly kept interrupting the run with hiatus after hiatus in the middle of the goddamn longest arc in the series (since it was impossible to remember everything that happened up to that point without re-reading the arc from scratch every time before he started re-serialization).

Were this Togashi's first hiatus, I could deal with it. But this is like, what....his 7th time going on a major hiatus after just a few months of serialization?

Spark Of Spirit

I think it's time to accept that this series is never going to end. I think I'm just going to stop reading it until someone outright tells me its done. I'm done being invested when the author clearly isn't.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The series is never going to end because Togashi makes way too much money off of it. He can take as long a break as he wants, but whenever he comes back and puts out new chapters and makes enough to get out a new volume or 2, they sell like crazy.

When I think about it, as much as I hate the manga's ending for YYH, I'm now glad that Togashi didn't prolong that series. It may have had a weak ending, but that's MUCH better than what it would have become had Togashi decided to drag it through the mud and go on hiatus after hiatus without any clear sign of an ending. Hell, if he was doing that, I wouldn't be surprised if the series was still continuing today, which if its not clear would NOT be a good thing (IMO).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its worth mentioning that even the most devoted HXH and Togashi fans are pissed at him now. Even the people who defended him the last 5 or so times he pulled this shit are finally fed-up with him doing this. I think the most infuriating thing about it is that he doesn't even try to come up with an excuse for it. Of course anyone is going to naturally assume that he's just being lazy, because neither he nor Shonen Jump will ever comment on the matter as to WHY exactly he takes such long and frequent breaks from serializing his manga.

Keep in mind that I still think Togashi is a very talented mangaka. Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter X Hunter are 2 of the best shonen series I've ever watched and read (well, the majority of HXH anyways, as it has dipped in quality at times, and that's assuming that it doesn't totally go to shit whenever the hell it actually resumes). Those are still 2 of my favorite manga/anime and that hasn't changed. What I have seen over the years, though, is what an ass-hole Togashi is to his own fan-base. I don't mind mangaka taking well-deserved breaks after working hard on a series, but Togashi's ridiculous abuse of this is pretty despicable, IMO (which is insulting to other talented but much less popular mangaka who work almost every single day of the year and just barely make ends meet in popularity rankings). You could say its a testament to the quality of his work that I'm still interested enough in it to care so much about it going on hiatus yet have still kept up with it despite this happening with it frequently, but I have my limits and Togashi has just about broken past them for me, and for most other fans of his work from what I've seen regarding fan reaction to this news.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I just read the 2-chapter HXH special detailing a piece of Kurapika's past (leading up to the release of the film, which may already be out, though I'm not sure). It was a fun little story for what it was, and I like that Togashi actually showed restraint and kept it self-contained without actually showing the Kurata clan being massacred. It was just described in words at the end. At one point in time I feel that Togashi would have shown this happening in all of its gory detail because apparently has a fetish for that sort of violence, but this story didn't contain any strong visuals like the main manga does. For the most part, its just a simple tale of Kurapika's inspiration to want to go into the outside world.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think that D Hunter is a reference to Vampire Hunter D, if only because the name is so similar. :D

LumRanmaYasha

Hunter X Hunter will resume publication in June.

Took long enough. I'm looking forward to seeing what Togashi has in store.

VLordGTZ

LumRanmaYasha

The Dark Continent arc better have been worth two years of waiting. He also better keep it going for a while this time.

Oh, another thing to note, the english version of Shonen Jump will also be running the new chapters. Viz clearly knows people are excited to see the series return.