Favorite Artists

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

I also still kind of like stuff like this and this.  It takes me back to middle school, when I actually still listened to KISS FM.

(Wow, that was ten years ago.)

I'm comin' out, so you better get the party started...
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

P!nk was the definition of guilty pleasure for a lot of people around that time. Well, her first three albums anyway. Then she kind of got boring.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Wow, I haven't heard that P!nk song in a while. Never been something I particularly liked to listen to, but like a couple of her songs like this, I wouldn't mind dancing to it at a party.

Also used to hear this a lot. I still remember that vocal spike after chorus, even though I haven't heard this song in years.

On another note, she has some pretty good songs in her own right. "Sober", "Stupid Girls", and "Fucking Perfect" are all good songs which contain a lot of range and emotion from her. I'm not a big fan of P!nk at the end of the day, but compared to the Britneys, Katys and Ke$has, she is by far a better option.

Edit: What the hell is up with the guy with the jalopy in 2:45? Feels really out of place.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

P!nk was kind of like the non-rock version of Eve 6 or Third Eye Blind. Kind of quirky with some good songs, but it doesn't stick around too long.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Speaking of middle school guilty pleasure blah blah, am I a bad person for still liking this?

Goddammit, now I'm cruising YouTube for all my favorite hits from yester-decade.

Spark Of Spirit

That song ruined muchmusic, dammit.

Avaitor

Way to mention another guilty pleasure of mine.

I think P!nk made a somewhat successful transition from a quirky, harder edged pop star to an older voice of reason with years of experience for younger fans. I can't defend her stuff like "Raise Your Glass" or "So What", but I still like the songs I mentioned in my previous post.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

Also, remember when Nickelodeon used to show videos like that one, and New Found Glory's "My Friends Over You", and Good Charlotte's "The Anthem", and Box Car Racer's "I Feel So"?  Seems like so long ago.

Spark Of Spirit

New Found Glory was once a guilty pleasure of mine... Well, the self-titled. The stuff after that had the songwriting slipping hard.

It's kind of hard for me to listen to a lot of that kind of music now, though.

Avaitor

Nickelodeon used to air videos that weren't Britney Spears or Aaron Carter?

That's all I remember.

New blog!

Commode

Oh yeah, Aaron Carter.

Yeah, I remember watching The Brothers Garcia or some shit, and that NFG song came on, and being super excited.  Fuck, I still love NFG(Sticks and Stones was a killer record in like 8-9th grade), and Sum-41, and I guess Box Car Racer, considering it's 2/3s of Blink-182.  Don't really give two shits about Good Charlotte though.

Also, a little further back, but I remember watching The Disney Channel back in 1998 when both NSync and A Bugs Life were coming out, and there was some NSync song that they played with footage of ABL playing in the background.  Can't remember for the life of me what the song was though...

Avaitor

Heh, I don't remember that. Didn't get Disney Channel full time until around the time Lizzie McGuire premiered, though.

I do remember that one of those boy bands did a duet with Stevie Wonder for the Mulan soundtrack. Didn't really fit in at all.

New blog!

Avaitor

So now that tz is getting a music board, I'm considering making album reviews/talkbacks. I've been thinking about this for a while, and now's the perfect chance for me to.

I'll stick with mostly stuff everyone knows for a while then go to less-known albums for recommendations, and only do one album per artist.

I think I'm going to start off with every hipster's least-favorite band. :D

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

New York Dolls? The Ramones? The Rolling Stones? Metallica?

Avaitor

Nope, but I am planning to do at least 2 of those artists.

I'll just say this one is a bit holy.

If you remember my short-lived album series where I reviewed Piece of Mind, it'll be like that, but with a different structure, broader focus, and more user participation. And I'm also planning on coming back to Maiden as well.

New blog!