Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

I like both shows a lot, but I don't know which of the two is more popular with people. Might be Clarence because its been around a bit longer but I don't know.

Avaitor

My general opinion of WBB is that it's best when it focuses on the three interacting together. I'm less hot on the episodes when they're separated and do their own thing. It can be a really fun show, but sometimes only registers at just okay for me.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

I'm in the camp that prefers Clarence myself. I enjoy WBB a good deal too, though.

Avaitor

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but there's been something that I've been thinking about for a while-

I think we're no longer in an age where Batman: TAS is a major influence. Action cartoons aren't really being made anymore, and when they are, they feel closer to Marvel's recent stuff, Teen Titans Go! or even 80's cartoons rather than something like the DCAU or Avatar. It already feels like Korra was from a different period, and a lot of the shows that were hot when it premiered are still on!

We're still feeling the importance of The Simpsons, especially as adult animation is appreciating character again, while the reliance on creators and showrunners for the Nicktoons is still going strong. But we're already pretty far removed from what Batman, Gargoyles, Avatar etc were doing.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I'm of the opinion that those who grew up on BTAS, Gargoyles, Avatar (the good one), and other such cartoons, did not go into animation but to other mediums. It certainly shows in what is being made nowadays.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Sooner or later action animation will have a major comeback. Don't know where it will spring off of, might be Netflix but I don't think this action drought will last forever.

FoxKidsLover16

1.I could never get into Family Guy. Not even the first 3 seasons. Honestly, the only appeal I saw in it was sneaking in to watch it when I wasn't allowed to watch it. Honestly though, the show never did much for me. What I saw was humor that was shocking for the sake of being shocking and animation that was pretty stiff and sometimes even lazy. I don't hate the show, but I never really liked it and it kind of scared me off of watching Adult Animation (Anime, Simpsons, and Futurama aside)

2.I could never get into South Park. Like Family Guy, I wasn't allowed to watch it and when I snuck in some episodes, it was just shocking for the sake of it.

3.Stanley is my favorite show created by Jim Jinkins. Most people seem to say Doug was their favorite but that show never made much of an impact on me. Not a bad show and it does have some awesome moments (I still laugh at the one where Doug said he broke Mr. Dinks grill), but it was never really a favorite for me. Stanley on the other hand was an all time favorite and a show that I adored. It was one of the standouts of Playhouse Disney's lineup during that time and was very informative. As an animal lover, I loved seeing the different animals in the show brought to you by The Great Big Book of Everything. The characters were likable and it was relaxing and funny. And that theme song is amazing. Its so nostalgic and catchy. I could go on about this show for hours, but I will stop here. This is my favorite show made by Jim Jinkins and one that I enjoy coming back to from time to time.

4.I never got into the Disney Channels 2000s Original Animated Series. For me, the animated series created for Disney Channel in the 2000s were stuff I felt meh towards. During this time, Disney cartoons were now being made for Disney Channel and not broadcast TV starting with Proud Family in September 2001. Out of all of them, the only ones I enjoyed were Phineas and Ferb (I enjoyed it when it first came out but I started watching it less and less until I completely stopped watching it in mid 2011), Stanley (The Playhouse Disney lineup was awesome during that time), and Lilo and Stitch: The Series (Which wasn't a favorite of mine, but I enjoyed it). The other shows just never did much for me at all (Like Kim Possible, Proud Family, Dave the Barbarian, American Dragon, Replacements, Brandy and Mr. Whiskers, and Emperors New School (Like many others, I thought the movie was a lot better)).

5.I enjoy The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog more than Sonic SatAM. While SatAM is an awesome show with great stories and fun characters, I enjoy AoStH' Looney Tunes esque feel and I feel its funnier. I always love Scratch and Grounder and them along with Robotnik makes for some great comedy. I also love the different disguises Sonic makes to fool Scratch and Grounder. While its sad that Tails gets kidnapped in a lot of the episodes, there are some where he gets his time to shine which is pretty cool. Also, I enjoy how much it feels like the Genesis games right down to the music and even some of the locations. The voice acting is very good as well and its just a fun cartoon. Honestly, AoStH is one of my favorite cartoons of all time.

I will post other unpopular opinions when I think of them.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I can kind of see where you're coming from with South Park but also I'd say that the shock value of it mostly applies to the first few seasons of the show. Even creators Trey and Matt aren't too fond of their earlier work in retrospect. That said the show's sense of humor has drastically evolved since then, mostly leaning towards social commentary and satire. Understandably that's not up everone's alley, but it's definitely not as reliant on shock value since that's nearly impossible to do in today's world overexposing way too much controversial content.

Dr. Insomniac

On that note, I never got the idea that South Park promoted cynicism or apathy to political causes. I've heard the "South Park teaches people not to believe in or care about anything" argument too many times to count, and it always comes from someone who sounds like they've never watched the show in their lives. The show's made many stances in the past two decades. That censorship is bad. That you shouldn't judge people by their religion but by their character. That scaring your kids away from drugs will do more damage than telling them the truth. That Hillary is awful, but Trump is even worse. If anything, the show teaches people to be skeptical, to find another answer to a question if they have issues with the ones they're given.

FoxKidsLover16

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 22, 2018, 01:15:16 PM
I can kind of see where you're coming from with South Park but also I'd say that the shock value of it mostly applies to the first few seasons of the show. Even creators Trey and Matt aren't too fond of their earlier work in retrospect. That said the show's sense of humor has drastically evolved since then, mostly leaning towards social commentary and satire. Understandably that's not up everone's alley, but it's definitely not as reliant on shock value since that's nearly impossible to do in today's world overexposing way too much controversial content.
Admittedly, its been a while since I have seen South Park, but you do have a good point that the shock value mostly applies to those first few seasons. I do remember seeing some social commentary and satire the few times I snuck it in, but even then I got bored. The show just wasn't for me honestly.

Also, just wondering. Are you mad at me for saying that I never got into Family Guy, the fact that Doug isn't my favorite show created by Jim Jinkins, the fact that I could never get into Proud Family, Kim Possible, American Dragon, Dave the Barbarian, Emperor's New School, Brandy and Mr. Whiskers, and The Replacements, and the fact that I enjoy Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog more than SatAM (Even though I enjoy both)?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's fair enough. As I said, I can understand South Park's brand of humor not being up everyone's alley. Just wanted to point out that it wasn't really going for cheap shock value anymore.

As for everything else, I can't personally say that I'm at all bothered by your dislike for any particular show. Aside from just being your own personal opinion, which is fine in and of itself, I happen to be indifferent to most of those shows, myself. I do remember having a thing for American Dragon at one point but even that I haven't watched in at least a decade so I couldn't possibly say how I feel about it now.

Avaitor

They're just your opinions, nothing wrong with having them. I like(d) some of the series you mentioned, didn't really like others. Whatever works for you.

New blog!

Avaitor

Hey Arnold is a good show, but I'll admit that I wince a little when I see people talk about how deep it gets. Just because it acknowledges that unhappy families are a thing sometimes doesn't make it a particularly sharper or more mature than what Rugrats or many other cartoons were doing at the time.

Also, the jungle movie was just a weird idea that doesn't totally fit the show.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Hey Arnold definitely had high moments, but it's strange that people pretend the entire show was nothing but Helga on the Couch, Pigeon Man, and the Christmas special. Especially when those episodes were pretty standalone and didn't shape the show as much as they could have. Mr. Hyunh reunites with his daughter, who never appears again outside of cameos. Helga gets a therapist who completely gets her, and doesn't show up again. Sure, they were wonderful episodes, but they never snowballed into anything more and things go back to usual by the next episode.