Christmas music

Started by Daikun, December 04, 2012, 11:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Let's talk about those seasonal tunes that would drive retail employees to near-suicide and cause family members to avoid listening to the radio over the next month. :thumbup:

Songs you love, songs you hate, custom playlists you would rather listen to instead of Bing Crosby...or hell, more Bing Crosby...

Talk about it here!

Spark Of Spirit

O Holy Night is probably my favorite Christmas tune. I also really enjoy Il Divo's version of it. But I'm also a big fan of the traditional stuff.

As for the other side, Chuck Berry's Run Rudolph Run and Brenda Lee's Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree are excellent.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Goldstar

I'm not a huge fan of holiday themed music myself. One of the few Christmas songs that I genuinely like is "We Three Kings" (especially The Roches' rendition and the version which is on the Narada Winters' Solstice album), which is interesting, since I'm not a Christian.

Another Xmas song that I like is "The Night Before Christmas" by Eek-A-Mouse, which is actually an original number played to the tune of "We Three Kings".

Yet another favorite Xmas song of mine is "The Way That Christmas Used to Be" from the 1977 Nelvana animated TV special A Cosmic Christmas. That one is really hard to find.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Commode

I like most Christmas songs really, the only one off hand that I can say I dislike is "Grandma Got Ran Over By a Reindeer".  It's just a really stupid song.

Doesn't Desen or DLA hate that Eagles christmas song?  I remember something about that a while ago.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

The Eagles have a Christmas song?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

The Christmas song that annoys me is the Paul McCartney one. Too many synths.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

That wasn't annoying, so it was a considerable step up.

Daikun

Quote from: Comeau on December 05, 2012, 03:15:13 PMthe only one off hand that I can say I dislike is "Grandma Got Ran Over By a Reindeer".  It's just a really stupid song.

I used to like that song when I was a kid.

Then my uncles overplayed it, and now I can't stand it anymore. :imnothappy:

A song I really like is "Nuttin' for Christmas" - the Stan Freberg version. It's the only version of this song that isn't annoyingly saccharine.

Chiron Beta Prime by Jonathan Coulton is also really good.

Now, for a song that I can't stand: Santa Baby. The worst Christmas song EVER.

Avaitor

I dunno, "Baby It's Cold Outside" is too misogynist for my tastes.

New blog!

Silverstar

Quote from: Avaitor on December 05, 2012, 07:23:16 PM
I dunno, "Baby It's Cold Outside" is too misogynist for my tastes.

Yeah. As Key & Peele pointed out, it's a little rapey.

Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

No-Personality

I like "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer."

Of course, my favorite (and the one I'd listen to anytime of the year) is... :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCBhQCCyhTo
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...