Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Music

Started by Avaitor, November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Personally, I think Blurred Lines is a very deep and philosophical song about the human condition. Every time Pharrell says "woo!", it represents the innermost fabric of Robin Thicke's brain deteriorating ever so slightly, until the end of the track, when it is clear that he has lost all motor functions and gone insane. This song asserts that all men are rapists, and it could not be any more correct, as I have witnessed my peers and myself at clubs. Against our own will, our bodies are controlled by alien ray beams that disable men from hearing or understanding the word "no."

"Everybody get up," indeed. Get up on top of the desk and fling your own feces at the wall like a good man.

Commode

Quote from: Homura Akemi on March 29, 2014, 11:53:00 AM
I prefer the original Summertime Sadness over the remix. The remix is shit. Also, the Kidz Bop version of Thrift Shop is better than the original in my honest and humble opinion.
This version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVjsGKrE6E8

Yeah, I like this one quite a bit more than the club-sounding version.  I've been meaning to listen to the actual album though.  One of these days.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

No-Personality

I really don't care what other people think about Robin Thicke. I am not impressed by the claims that he is stupid or that the song is about rape. I admit his lyrics are sleazy and not, by themselves, intelligent to any degree. Maybe one day, my tolerance for them will be gone. But, the music is good. "Blurred Lines" is a good song. His album is good. His songs don't have to be deep for the intention of the songs to not be what people who are not very interesting in the first place claim They Must Be. And if the likes of Todd in the Shadows want us to realize that music criticism is self-righteous and just looking to turn anything into controversy, then Lorde and Thicke are not automatic exceptions to the rule. Especially not because of overplay.

Meanwhile, yes, my Macklemore nitpick is no more than the same thing you guys are doing with Thicke. Yes, I said his wordplay is as annoying to me as the alleged rape lyrics are to everyone else. And...

wow, what's this? I still don't care. I would be interested in hearing thoughtful debate but this is ridiculous. At least my arguments are a matter of taste- I am now getting people telling me that I'm stupid. That's crossing the line.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Foggle

I wasn't actually trying to insult you, I just made a silly and nonsensical post as per my usual M.O.

No-Personality

Quote from: Foggle on March 29, 2014, 12:20:44 PMI wasn't actually trying to insult you, I just made a silly and nonsensical post as per my usual M.O.
Then I withdraw that part of my reply.
and I love it.

Dr. Insomniac

A reminder that this is an Unpopular Opinions thread, not a soapbox for you to antagonize other users just because they disagree with your musical tastes. Several users and moderators have criticized your behavior on the forum, and insist that you learn civility. If you cannot abide by that, then leave.

Lord Dalek

Avaitor

Can we all agree that Franky Z>Beatles and Dylan combined?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

I'll need time to think about that one.

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on April 13, 2014, 01:32:02 PMCan we all agree that Franky Z>Beatles and Dylan combined?
I am so with you there on Dylan. As I'm sure you know.

But I didn't realize Frank Zappa made pop music. Like real pop. The sugary stuff. The jangly stuff. (Did I spell that right?)
and I love it.

Avaitor

Well more doo wop than pop.

That's actually one of things I like about Zappa so much. He was emphatically NOT a Beatles fan. He was way more into doo wop, blues, and jazz compared to most rock. Even now, Freak Out! still sounds unique compared to the period, even though Sgt. Pepper stole a lot from it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on April 16, 2014, 02:13:28 PMWell more doo wop than pop.

That's actually one of things I like about Zappa so much. He was emphatically NOT a Beatles fan. He was way more into doo wop, blues, and jazz compared to most rock. Even now, Freak Out! still sounds unique compared to the period, even though Sgt. Pepper stole a lot from it.
I haven't listened to much Zappa. Or anything beyond "Valley Girl" but I will check him out soon.
and I love it.

No-Personality

I'm waiting 'til I see the movie until I hear the song. It's incredibly easy to avoid. I don't even know anyone Offline who has seen the movie.
and I love it.

Avaitor

Quote from: Avaitor on April 13, 2014, 01:32:02 PM
Can we all agree that Franky Z>Beatles and Dylan combined?
I'm still holding this opinion, and I'd also say that Simon & Garfunkel are completely superior to Dylan and the Fab Four, as well.

Also, solo Gabriel>solo Collins or either Genesis era

New blog!

Nel_Annette

Nah, I'd still take both the Gabriel era and the Collins era of Genesis, and then Gabriel's solo stuff. If we're going by albums, anyway. Individual songs is way more of a jumble. Never could get into Phil's solo stuff though.