Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Music

Started by Avaitor, November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Just go on his Twitter.

I used to not be a fan of the man, but a couple of plays of I Get Wet and perusing his Twitter made all that change for me.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

He's an insanely nice guy who makes some pretty good music.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

I don't think there is any one band or artist that is truly timeless.  Sure, people say that The Beatles are timeless, or that Elvis was timeless, but I don't think so.  I mean, Beethoven and Bach and all them were supposed to be timeless right?  But I don't really think they are.  Sure, there's a good amount of people that look to them as an influence, but as time goes on less and less people know who they are, much less actively listen to their music.  Things fade over time, and music is no exception.

There will always be people that will listen to and be great fans of Beethoven or The Beatles or Led Zeppelin, but none of them will ever be truly timeless.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

I find the term "timeless" just refers to what decade the music can be listened years from its release and still appreciated. In that aspect, I think all good music is timeless.

The only shaky music is bubblegum pop because it isn't made to be anything but in the now.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 24, 2012, 02:10:35 PM
I find the term "timeless" just refers to what decade the music can be listened years from its release and still appreciated. In that aspect, I think all good music is timeless.
This! :joy:

Avaitor

"Pull Me Under" is a really cool song. There's a reason that it's Dream Theater's only hit when Rock Band isn't considered.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Angus

timeless reminds me of the phrase "instant classic"

give it a couple of generations before calling any music classic.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Foggle

Is it just me, or are most of Richard Cheese's covers far better than the original songs?

Spark Of Spirit

If any of you caught the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame inductions, can you tell me if Dave Navarro was included with RHCP? It seems weird that only certain members seemed to be included in the induction since Cliff Martinez was included but I don't think Jack Sherman was.

They should have played Funky Monks for the full band jam at the end. Give It Away doesn't lend itself well to that sort of crowd.

Foggle

Didn't even know it was happening.

I'm pretty sure Sherman wasn't inducted because Kiedis hates him, or something like that. No idea about Navarro.

Avaitor

New blog!

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 08, 2012, 10:19:36 PM
Neither were included.
Jack Sherman contributed to their first two albums, and Navarro contributed to some of their biggest hits. Picking and choosing who is relevant to a band is pretty despicable.

Then again, T. Rex still isn't in. So this isn't surprising.

Avaitor

They also didn't let Dave join them for Metallica's induction, even though he wrote pretty much every song on their first album and like half of RTL.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 08, 2012, 10:43:51 PM
They also didn't let Dave join them for Metallica's induction, even though he wrote pretty much every song on their first album and like half of RTL.
If it wasn't for Dave, they never would have gotten off the ground. What bull.

If there's any justice, this will be next year's inductees:

T.Rex
Rush
New York Dolls
YES
Megadeth
Nick Drake
Iron Maiden
Linda Ronstadt