Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Music

Started by Avaitor, November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Since we have one for animation and video games, I might as well make one for music too. I also want to do one for film, but I'm going to do that a couple of days later to see how a viewing of a particular movie stays in mind for my ideas of a certain genre.

Anyway, here's a few of my opinions:

• If I can blame any one thing for the death of rock, I'd probably go all the way back to the release of The Joshua Tree as the starting point. Maybe even 5150 for a pre-cursor.
  • I'd rather listen to the artists that inspired the Beatles' later albums (Dylan, Zappa, Beach Boys) than the Fab Four themselves.
  • Conversely, I'd rather listen to Led Zeppelin than the artists they supposedly plagiarized.
  • I have never liked an album or song released by Bruce Springsteen. The Boss is mighty talented with what he does, but his work does nothing for me whatsoever.
  • Kurt Cobain was a shoddy songwriter. His talent relied on his stage presence and vocal abilities, but even that could get tiresome.
  • Metallica really get more credit than they deserve for contributing to the metal scene. They weren't the first thrash band and certainly were never the heaviest, and while they certainly exploded moreso than all the others, they didn't even have as much street cred as the rest of the big 4 or whoever else. I also think that Death were far more influential in the underground scene than them, and continue to be to this day.
  • At this point, I greatly prefer top 40 to modern rock. To the point where I gave up on keeping up with which bands are popular today and don't give any new act with radio play the time of day. There's still tons of crap on top 40, but at least Rise Against, Bullet for My Valentine and their ilk stay away from there.
  • I think John Darnielle and Neige are the two best things happening in music now, and I won't stop pimping them until I get more fans of their stuff on here. :P
  • I don't think Mick Jagger is as great of a frontman as he's made out to be. The more I study his stuff, the more he comes off as nothing but some white kid trying to act black and barely passing at it. I also hate the current trend in music where dropping his name suddenly gives you more cred or whatever. It's not cool, it's fucking stupid.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

*I still don't think that Nevermind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols! is a good album at all.  I don't know why the band gets so much credit or why they are so "influential", but the album itself is mediocre at best.  Give me Rocket to Russia before it anyday.  Hell, give me Bad Religion's "Suffer", that one defines punk rock more than this shit.

*While I don't like it as much as I love Kerplunk!, Dookie, Nimrod, or Warning, I don't think that American Idiot is as bad as people say it is.  21st Century Breakdown however is as bad or worse than what others say.

Uh...more might come soon.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM
  • At this point, I greatly prefer top 40 to modern rock. To the point where I gave up on keeping up with which bands are popular today and don't give any new act with radio play the time of day. There's still tons of crap on top 40, but at least Rise Against, Bullet for My Valentine and their ilk stay away from there.
I honestly can't believe the genre has fallen this far. Musicians have become such self-absorbed insular and above all arrogant, that their style of music is so niche, but they do little to change that fact, and I can't stand it any more.

I'd also like to add that Motown music may have the highest concentration of outright quality than any era of music. It's also the only music that pretty much everyone loves and anyone who doesn't usually has horrible musical taste.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

- Funk and jazz are better than rock and hip hop.
- Psychobilly is the best kind of punk.
- Dubstep and pop-punk are the worst genres of all time outside of crunkcore (but everyone with an IQ above 70 hates that last one).
- By The Way is the biggest piece of shit the Red Hot Chili Peppers have ever taken. Horrendous album.
- Metallica and Nirvana have recorded some of the most boring music I've ever heard. Especially the former.
- Radiohead and Tool are total garbage.
- Glee is an affront to the concept of music in general and should be cancelled post-haste.

Avaitor

So how is the Chili Pepper's new album? I stopped caring ages, so I didn't check.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

It's okay overall. A few good funky jams reminiscent of tracks like Walkabout and Charlie in there, but only about half of it really stands out. It's definitely better than By The Way and Californication, and possibly Stadium Arcadium, but nowhere near as good as anything from their self-titled LP through One Hot Minute.

Commode

That song they have the radio, "Adventures of Raindance Maggie" or some shit, is pretty terrible.  I swear, RHCP seem to have the worst lyrics.  "Tick tock, I want to rock you like the 80's", I mean come on, what the hell does that mean?

And I loves my pop-punk(not too poppy like Simple Plan or Good Charlotte though.  Gotta set some boundaries).

Foggle

Quote from: SNES Chalmers on November 12, 2011, 02:50:54 AM
That song they have the radio, "Adventures of Raindance Maggie" or some shit, is pretty terrible.  I swear, RHCP seem to have the worst lyrics.  "Tick tock, I want to rock you like the 80's", I mean come on, what the hell does that mean?
The actual music on that track is... decent, IMO. But yeah, the lyrics are horrifyingly bad. And not funny bad like their older stuff... just bad.

I was referring to the more intense pop-punk crap (like Simple Plan). My fucking suite-mate listens to that shit all day and it physically hurts me because the dorm room walls are so thin.

Spark Of Spirit

RHCP lyrics have been terrible since BSSM. The lyrics might have been only about sex, but other than Sir Psycho Sexy they were just tasteful enough to be a bit clever and fun without offending anyone and the music was great. I heard the lyrics from some of their newer songs and I think they are simply not for me anymore. They're so far away from UMPP and BSSM (their best albums) that I just don't care anymore.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I don't think this is too much of an unpopular opinion, but I miss guitar solos. One of my main beefs with modern rock is that they either cut down the instrumentals to just the basics, pseudo-post-punk ideas stolen from Britpop acts from over a decade ago, or in the case of "metal" acts like A7X, lame Maiden or Pantera fappage riffs that do have solos, but are super condensed and barely fit in.

Even a lot of metal bands that I do listen to don't necessarily do solos any more, but rather focus on ambiance or experimentation. Which is great, because I really like that, but I still like a good guitar solo. Be it an eloquent mess like Page, neoclassicism schlock like Yngwie, or twin trade-offs like in Maiden and Priest, I miss this in music and it seems like the guitar solo is becoming a dying art.

New blog!

Commode

I have a strange fascination for one hit wonders.  I don't really know why, in most cases there's a reason why they are one hit wonders, they're terrible, but I still like to listen to them.

Lord Dalek

Avaitor

Oh, here's one I have about the RHCP. One Hot Minute>any album with Frusicante

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on November 16, 2011, 01:08:58 PM
Oh, here's one I have about the RHCP. One Hot Minute>any album with Frusicante
BSSM? Nah. Mother's Milk? Maybe. Everything after One Hot Minute? You better fuckin' believe it.

Avaitor

When all's considered, I think BSSM is a better album, but it's so overplayed to me that I kind of get tired of it. Same with Mother's Milk. Granted it's not as overplayed, but it also feels like they were trying to settle on how to sound without Slovak and weren't quite comfortable yet, and it kind of shows in a lot of it.

I always found OHM overlooked. There's some pretty cool stuff in it.

New blog!