Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Music

Started by Avaitor, November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Walkabout and Transcending are probably the best songs the band's ever done.

Spark Of Spirit

One Hot Minute better than BSSM? Ugh, I don't agree. Though I would put it on par with Mother's Milk, that album is pretty overrated.

Here's something extreme. If you have never listened to any music before the 1970s (other than the Beatles, they don't count) you should not be allowed to form a band, group, or participate in the music industry. It should be a law.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on November 16, 2011, 01:50:16 PM
Here's something extreme. If you have never listened to any music before the 1970s (other than the Beatles, they don't count) you should not be allowed to form a band, group, or participate in the music industry. It should be a law.
I want to agree with you, but there wasn't a whole lot of funk before the 70's. :(

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on November 16, 2011, 01:52:38 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on November 16, 2011, 01:50:16 PM
I want to agree with you, but there wasn't a whole lot of funk before the 70's. :(
Well, what did those 70s funk artists listen to to get their style? It was a style they formed after listening to the roots of their chosen style.

If you want an original sound or approach you have to go to the original source and form your own style off of it. That's why the best punk was based on 50s rock n roll, and the best funk came from soul music, and even rock n roll that has roots in the blues. When you get too far away from the original intent, you lose the soul of the music.

Hence why all modern rock is garbage.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on November 16, 2011, 01:57:24 PM
Well, what did those 70s funk artists listen to to get their style? It was a style they formed after listening to the roots of their chosen style.
Good point and well said.

QuoteThat's why the best punk was based on 50s rock n roll
Fuck yeah, rockabilly!

Avaitor

Don't forget that the best metal takes on cues from classical and jazz.

Although that's probably another unpopular opinion.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Personally, the worst metal comes from groups who only listen to metal, so it wouldn't be too far off.

I personally prefer the slower stuff that tends to be more based on early 50s instrumental and such, but there's no hard rule for that.

Avaitor

I think the bands that listen to as much if not more hardcore than actual metal are even worse. That's when you get shit metalcore, nu-thrash and watered-down crust.

Also, my favorite type of metal in recent years tends to be either black metal which takes heavily from shoegaze,  Sabbath/Maiden fappage doom/traditional which also try to sound like The Doors/The Kinks, or uber-technical death which hints grossly on jazz and whatever the fuck else they feel like adding in, depending on my mood and current releases.

That said, I find more interesting metal releases on a regular basis than any other type of music.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

Now for some unpopular opinions I hold towards certain bands.

*I have found myself unable to listen to most of The Beatles output.  I don't know what it is, but I had all of their music on my iPod and damn near every time one of their songs came up in the shuffle, I skipped it.  Some of the music really is that bad(the weird psychedelia type tracks off of albums like The White Album and Sgt. Pepper's; "Piggies" immediately comes to mind), and while some of it I don't mind, nine times out of ten I still didn't want to listen to it.

*I don't really like Pink Floyd anymore.  Most of their music bores me now, and I've found that albums that are held in high regard like The Wall have a staggering amount of filler on them. 

*I simply cannot listen to anymore AC/DC.  At all. It's been like this for quite a while now, with the exception of Highway to Hell, but now even that's got to go.

*I don't understand the popularity of Queen.  I like "Killer Queen", and can tolerate "Bohemian Rhapsody", but the rest I find annoying.

*I don't care for Oasis, and Wonderwall is up there as one of my most hated songs of all time.  The dude's voice is whiny as shit, and it's rather grating to listen to.

Yeah, it was just a way for me to voice my displeasure for bands that I see people praise a lot.  I don't really hate any of these bands(except Oasis), and I recognize their influence and place in music history(unlike a band like The Sex Pistols), but for the reasons I listed above I just can't listen to them.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

I despise "Bohemian Rhapsody" so fucking much. Yet I think "Under Pressure" is one of the greatest songs ever written.

So yeah, I have a bit of an odd history with Queen.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I love Queen.

In my opinion, Rock Box is better than every single rock song written in the last decade just as Run's House is better than every single rap or hip hop song. Run DMC should be required listening for every music fan.

Avaitor

After Bruce, I think the most gifted vocalist alive is NPH. Same for acting.

And I normally hate Broadway.

New blog!

azureskies

I think the only controversial opinions I hold are about who should and shouldn't be on the metal Archives. Damn I'm boring...

Avaitor

Oh, back to Queen for a sec.

Jefferson Airplane's "Somebody to Love">theirs

Hell, JA>Queen period.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Best songwriters of the 1960/1970s:

Brian Wilson
Smokey Robinson
Ray Davies
Marvin Gaye
John Fogerty
Sly Stone Stewart
Marc Bolan
George Harrison
Ronnie Van Zant
David Johansen

More than just lyrics, but general songwriting. They might co-write with others, but as a catch all I just included the main songwriter for most songs they are involved with.