Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Music

Started by Avaitor, November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I'd agree with a lot of these, but I'd also add Zappa and Iommi to the list.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

In my mind, not only is Amy Winehouse not a part of the 27 club, neither is Cobain. Or at least, he shouldn't be.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

The Monkees were actually a really good band when they were allowed to be a band. Seriously.

Listen to these songs and tell me differently. They were legitimately talented.

Starting with their third album when they were allowed to play and write all their stuff, they really proved they were more than a boy band. That's more than the Sex Pistols can ever claim.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on March 02, 2012, 06:35:27 PM
In my mind, not only is Amy Winehouse not a part of the 27 club, neither is Cobain. Or at least, he shouldn't be.
Eh, I find that music shouldn't discriminate and that any singer who died at that age should be considered a member. Thinking otherwise is just personal bias.

Avaitor

I guess. I'll admit that my reasoning is mostly out of personal bias.

New blog!

Commode

I don't really understand the whole 27 club thing.  Yeah, I get that people in it all died at 27, but that's it, that's all it really is to me.  People talk about it like its supposed to be a measure of influence or importance, but all it is is a bunch of people who died young.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Comeau on March 03, 2012, 03:34:21 PM
I don't really understand the whole 27 club thing.  Yeah, I get that people in it all died at 27, but that's it, that's all it really is to me.  People talk about it like its supposed to be a measure of influence or importance, but all it is is a bunch of people who died young.
Yeah, that's all it is to me.

Spark Of Spirit

Because if you die that young everyone thinks your best material is yet to be heard.

Which is lame because there's tons of artists who don't get really good until after that age (with years of crap before then) and plenty who peak way before then. It's completely weird that such a club even exists since most artists in it were already heading for a slump. But I digress.

It is a shame that they all died young, nevertheless.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, I forgot to mention that my letter to the editor was published. If you know me, you can pretty much guess what it was about.

I've gotten a few positive reactions so far (outside my folks), so I'm glad I was able to put it out there.

Nel_Annette

As a prog metal fan, I will never understand the love for Pain of Salvation and why many put them alongside other prog metal giants. Daniel Gildenlow is an awful singer, you can't convince me otherwise.

...Well, that felt good.

Avaitor

They're "deep". That's why.

I think they're decent, and nothing more.

New blog!

Nel_Annette

I dunno about deep, man. Every other song just seems to be him trying to sing as poetically as possible about banging someone. XD

Remedy Lane has some great moments musically, but that's about as far as I'll go. Scarsick was awful with the pseudo-rapping, and the two Road Salt albums just killed it for me.

Commode

Can someone tell me what people see in Andrew W.K.?  I don't get it, I don't hate him or anything, but I am a bit puzzled by his high status on the internet.  From what I've heard his songs don't really have any depth or anything, so... what?
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.