Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Music

Started by Avaitor, November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I like a lot of stuff from both eras, although I prefer the Collins era of Genesis before they went increasingly commercia. But truthfully, Gabriel's solo work just speaks to me in a way that Genesis as a whole hasn't been able to.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

No-Personality

In general, I think I have to say I like the Collins/Genesis stuff a little more than Gabriel. The more I listen to some of PG's stuff, some of it is much too harsh on the ears ("Steam," "Kiss That Frog," "Shock the Monkey") or I grab the remote as quick as possible ("Don't Give Up," "Shakin' the Tree"). Surprisingly, I quite like "Digging in the Dirt" though. From that Us period most of his harsher tracks are from.

Sure, a lot of PC/Genesis's stuff just sits like a bump of a log ("Another Day in Paradise," "Jesus He Knows Me," "No Son of Mine") but... wow, their best is pretty freaking killer: "Sussudio," "Invisible Touch," "Take Me Home," "In Too Deep," "Easy Lover," "Don't Lose My Number," "In the Air Tonight," "One More Night"... and, I like "I Can't Dance." I don't really separate the two entities.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Rynnec

Master of Puppets is one of Metallica's most overrated songs. Give me No Remorse or And Justice For All anyday.

Similarly, I'm not too big on Bohemian Rhapsody. I love Queen's other stuff, but that one doesn't really do anything for me.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on July 24, 2014, 11:33:25 PM
Master of Puppets is one of Metallica's most overrated songs.
Agreed. I just... can't listen to that song. I find it really boring and unpleasant. But then again, my opinions on rock and especially metal are not to be trusted.

Avaitor

Have I ever mentioned that "Comfortably Numb" is the only part of The Wall that I like?

It's also the only song that Roger Waters had no control over, so I guess that says a lot about my opinion on Pink Floyd.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

While I don't agree, I do vastly prefer Pink Floyd's earlier days.

Nel_Annette

Most of the wall is incredibly boring filler but I do like more songs on it than just Comfortably Numb. Though that's undeniably the best song on there.

Avaitor

I'm honestly just not much of a Pink Floyd fan. I was when I was younger, but I keep on losing interest in them. I do genuinely love Wish You Were Here, and mostly dig Piper and Dark Side, though.

Most else besides those, I can take or leave.

New blog!

talonmalon333

I love how much more experimental they originally were. Once they stopped that, they were still very good, but not as good.

Echoes remains my favorite of theirs.

Markness

I prefer 90's music over 80's. Sure, a lot of the bands I like originated in the 80's but their best works were in the 90's (Corrosion of Conformity, Godflesh, KMFDM, Ministry, Napalm Death, Neurosis, Primus, Prong, Soundgarden, etc.) The 90's were also when Clutch and Tool were born.

I am a metal head but I prefer bands who prefer making a single riff sound good (Godflesh) before moving onto the next one rather than jamming millions of riffs (Dream Theater) into a song.

Black Flag are so much better than The Ramones.

I prefer Black Sabbath over Led Zeppelin. Both are good but Black Sabbath appeal to me more. Tony Iommi does not get the love he deserves as a guitarist and Iron Man isn't their only song.

Buddy Holly is so much better than Elvis Presley.

The Doors and The Rolling Stones are much more interesting than The Beatles.