Started by gunswordfist, November 15, 2011, 11:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 10, 2017, 06:49:31 PM
Spoiler
[close]
Also, I like how this got completely debunked this episode.  :sly:
Quote from: Painted Outlaw on April 23, 2017, 06:10:15 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Scaramouche hangs around just to get bumped off in 2 seconds when Jack and Ashi raid Aku's palace; same with Ashi's "mother".
I hope he leads Aku's army. Easily the best Season 5 character.

Edit # 255: I wonder if they showed the lighter characters to set up Aku actively oppressing Jack's more relevant allies. Those 3 groups were pretty much the least likely to still be suffering from Aku (like anyone remembers the Woolies) and they probably just didn't want another dark episode in a row. I obviously liked the episode more than most but I got to say I thought the ending was disappointing. I thought The Omen would be much more important than just a baddie or whatever for Ashi to complete her hero's journey. I thought he would actually help Jack improve himself/get a new sword, etc. or at least help advance the plot. Ashi was already going to become a good guy so his involvement basically amounted to nothing. And Jack could have just gone with Ashi on her adventure, met all those guys and gotten snapped out of his desire for suicide after that adventure, instead of just hearing a few word from her.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Painted Outlaw

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 24, 2017, 12:41:08 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Scaramouche hangs around just to get bumped off in 2 seconds when Jack and Ashi raid Aku's palace; same with Ashi's "mother".
I hope he leads Aku's army. Easily the best Season 5 character.

Barring him getting a new body, I'm not sure how that'd happen. I'll give it that it'd be amusing, though.

Dr. Insomniac

gunswordfist

I bet one of them is way Aku's dumb ass stopped going after or watching Jack right after he lost the sword. Or even question or hear from anyone seeing him without it. It took 50 years for Scaramouch to be the first one to even try and tell him lol.
All around amazing episode. I am still in awe at Ashi just ripping through those guys. Also, we all know her old ass mother never stood a chance against her. She would have just originally gone after Jack herself if she was any better.
Edit: Okay, good questions. I hope High Priestess does return just so she can explain her actions. I was waiting for that but that never happened.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Painted Outlaw

I wouldn't be surprised if Scaramouche hangs around just to get bumped off in 2 seconds when Jack and Ashi raid Aku's palace; same with Ashi's mother.

Well, I was half-wrong.
I do agree that it would've been nice if they explained anything about her, though. And no, that doesn't mean I want everything to stop for a pointless flashback; that'd be worse.

LumRanmaYasha

Why'd they think devoting an episode to Jack and Ashi's sexual tension was a good idea? Why'd they think having a romantic relationship between Jack and Ashi at all was a good idea? Why did we devote time to this filler shit with only two episodes left to go? This episode was like something out of a bad light novel anime, complete with the obligatory female character getting attacked by slime monsters and her clothes dissolving just for a naked fanservice scene where the MC gets flustered in the name of "comedy."

And the season was so good until now too... :imnothappy:

The Shadow Gentleman

Rynnec

Well that sucked. At least we still have Castlevania to look forward too, right? RIGHT?

Peanutbutter

I had a feeling all along Ashi would end up being Jack's love interest so the episode didn't bother me. Just didn't like there being so many rapid-fire hints. I liked the episode otherwise, though that cheesy Dean Martin song at the end was unneeded.

Love it or hate it, next week WILL be better no matter what; because Jack returns to some familiar territory where a particular obstacle that hindered him before awaits......

Avaitor

This episode had pretty colors, but was easily the weakest to date.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

Yeah, I won't lie, this episode was pretty damn awkward to watch. Everything felt so forced. I mean, I can accept them being love interests, but it all happened so... weirdly. Easily the first "bad" episode of the season. The beginning with the ship falling to Earth was so interesting. I was hoping it was going to play up more as an Alien homage.

Painted Outlaw

We still got time for the show to recover, right?

>> two episodes left to go
Goddangit.

Dr. Insomniac

Nel_Annette

Everyone on the AV Club seemed to love it. Only place I've seen positivity.  :lol:

LumRanmaYasha

My thoughts exactly doc. My problem isn't merely that they're romantically involved, but that they developed their relationship in a juvenile way using cliche tropes that were just groan-worthy. A big problem I have with it is also the fact that Ashi is still emotionally immature, still not knowing much about the world and formed any relationships with anyone other than Jack. She's essentially went from worshipping Aku to idolizing Jack instead. I saw their relationship in the previous episodes as one between a father and daughter, so the sexual tension between them was extra uncomfortable, as are the implications of how dependent Ashi is emotionally on Jack, and even vice-versa considering Jack also probably hasn't had a real connection with anyone in a few decades. Their romance is just a bad idea all around, and if they wanted to do it, they needed to develop it more maturely and thoughtfully, and shown more why they would form a romantic connection instead of a familial one, actually talk about those feelings openly and discuss whether it's the right thing for them, you know, go about it like adults. But I guess their idea of adult content is dick jokes and crude sex metaphors, which to be fair this is [adult swim], but I expected better writing out of Genndy. Like you I'm also dreading that this will end with Ashi pregnant or killed off just to make Jack more incensed to kill Aku, or some other cliche like that.