Reviews & Features Discussion

Started by Foggle, December 27, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Interesting selection of titles.

Some of these sound kind of interesting, some sound horrible.

Everything has a chance to improve, so who knows how they'll turn out. But I don't think we'll get enough Bebop anytime soon.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Angus on January 14, 2011, 11:31:17 PM
If that's the best Japan has to offer this year, then I have to take back my statement refuting that anime was going downhill.
Well for all that matters, the output actually looks a bit better than what we had last winter, in that I found 2 relatively good shows this season instead of just 1.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

**Semi-Spoiler-ish Level E stuff below**

Spoiler
Whether people will continue to like Level E depends on whether they can see it for what it is (assuming that the anime follows the manga). In truth, it was more of an experimental manga for Togashi that was meant to be short and try out a mesh of different ideas. For what its worth, it tells a few story arcs over its run which have really good ideas; one that Dr. Insomniac might like would be one that deals with a group of people getting trapped in the mind/subconscious of someone (the arc itself feels very akin to Inception in quite a few aspects), but nobody knows who's mind their trapped in among them. I found it to be an interesting mix of really well-done, and mostly well-executed ideas. My problem that really prevented me from truly loving the manga, though, was that it honestly really had no central theme, aside from the fact that Ouji is the main character throughout all of it.
[close]

Level E to me still proves that Togashi can really come up with some brilliant ideas and execute them with writing ranging in quality from decent to great (in most cases its well above average, IMO).

Foggle

Nice synopses! Sounds like this season will be just as shitty as the last 20. I think I'll watch Level E sometime soon, though.

Spark Of Spirit

My Cats Don't Dance review is up.

I like this one, so I hope you guys do too.  :happytime:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Man, I love this movie.  It's a shame that Space Jam was the more successful Warner film at the time, since CDD has more of the Golden Age of Animation spirit than Space Jam will ever have.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Yeah I dig it too. Always reminds me of Singin' in the Rain and classic CN, two great things to make me think backo n.

i'll have to read that after school today.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Great review, Desensitized. Its been ages since I've seen CDD, but your review really makes me want to check it out again.

Quote from: SNES Chalmers on January 24, 2011, 06:50:50 AM
Man, I love this movie.  It's a shame that Space Jam was the more successful Warner film at the time, since CDD has more of the Golden Age of Animation spirit than Space Jam will ever have.

Space Jam doesn't have ANY animation spirit, period.

Spark Of Spirit

I hadn't seen the movie in ages when I got it, and just sitting down with it and watching it all the way through was an absolute joy.

The film really should have done better than it did.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Great review. Just looking at the images you posted reminds me of how vibrant the entire film is. The last time I saw it was a couple of years ago when CN randomly decided to air it, and I DVR'd the film.

It's a lot of fun, and if this is an example of what Turner's animation studio would have been capable of making for theaters, I'm saddened that we didn't get anything else from them.

New blog!

Commode

Quote from: Avaitor on January 24, 2011, 04:01:07 PM
Just looking at the images you posted reminds me of how vibrant the entire film is.

Love this establishing shot of Hollywood, right near the beginning of the film.  It is really beautiful artwork, and it is too bad we couldn't see more of this come from them.

And yeah, I have a copy of it on my computer. :thumbup:
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Yes, the art in this movie is phenomenal. The whole time watching my eyes were darting all over the screen to catch anything I might be missing.

Foggle

Good introduction! I can't wait to see your opinion of the APC episodes (I hope you watch ALL of them). :joy:

Spark Of Spirit

There's only six of them... So I am.

I honestly think this is going to get harder for me, because I actually know how good the show can get. Watching it get flushed down the crapper is bad enough, but... this later stuff sounds dreadful.

Foggle