Reviews & Features Discussion

Started by Foggle, December 27, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on October 08, 2016, 11:27:33 AM
It looks like I'm not missing much by not watching any anime this season. Sounds like slim pickings.
We actually skipped a fair amount of shows. No great loss.

Dr. Insomniac

Lord Dalek

True story: I turned Heybot off after five minutes.

LumRanmaYasha

I don't mind most of the SOL SU episodes when they focus on Steven, Greg, or the Gems, but since the show's plot is more interesting it is kind of frustrating to have to wade through them sometimes, especially when they focus on insufferable or uninteresting Beach City characters like Lars, Onion, Mr. Smiley, the Pizza family, etc. The show also has problems with it's subtext and metaphors being confusing and having unfortunate connotations like with Smoky Quartz. I get that they were going for Amethyst and Steven finding confidence and strength working together after always seeing themselves as the weakest gems and having their own individual inferiority complexes and whatnot, but the message is definitely muddled by a lot of what fusion has commonly been used as a metaphor for and other stuff you've mentioned. SU has a lot of ideas that sound good on paper but don't quite work in execution, though it's heart is always in the right place and I think that goes a long way in selling some moments even if they don't quite make sense if you really think about them with a critical lens. Overall I still enjoy the series, but I think it would be better if they took a more serialized direction and let some plot threads and emotional arcs linger throughout most of a season rather than just small couple-episode arcs.

I haven't watched AT since last year, though I remember seeing that Bee episode you mentioned, but what's wrong with the show now? I definitely remember a stretch of uncomfortable and weird for weirds sake episodes a few years back, but I felt the show was on an upswing the last time I started catching up with it.

Dr. Insomniac

The last time I watched Adventure Time, it just felt like something was missing. The lore had become stagnant. The characters unwilling to change at times, and the charm wasn't there anymore. I guess it's also because I had a discussion about how the show often goes back on character changes like Bubblegum becoming a little girl and Finn losing his arm.

LumRanmaYasha

Funny enough, around I time I last stopped watching AT they were really diving deeper into the lore with episodes like "Evergreen" that explained the origins of the Ice King's crown, which also later ended up factoring into to the show's story arc with Betty and the Ice King, and there were some genuinely funny episodes I liked a lot like "Pajama War." But the show unwilling to change can be a problem for sure. I think SU suffers from it as well - not wanting to disrupt the status quo too much and trying to stay in it's comfort zone of SOL episodes for as long as possible before it by necessity has to do another storyline to move the plot along.

Lord Dalek

Yes Hand Shakers really is that bad.

Yes LWA is worth pirating over.

Yes Rewrite is the worst Key ever.

Yes I never want to talk about this season ever again.

Dr. Insomniac

Rynnec

And only three weeks late too!

Dr. Insomniac

Says someone who made multiple spelling errors in their entries that had to be corrected before publishing.