Reviews & Features Discussion

Started by Foggle, December 27, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Discuss our various articles in this thread.

Avaitor

Hey guys, the year is almost done, we've added some new blood to the staff, and we have had plenty of reviews done over the year.

Do you guys have any favorites? I'll get a bit more into mine in a few.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

I asked this before but didn't get much of a response.

But do you guys have any personal favorite reviews or features from the year? Anything that you did or maybe someone else on staff took on?

If you want a reminder of everything we did this year, here we go.

Reviews

Features

I liked just about everything you guys did this year, and I'm especially proud of my Disney Afternoon articles. I'll try to add some more later.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

16 reviews and 24 features. Not a bad amount of output.

I did like in the period between July and now we had an average of about 3 reviews per month. I thought they were all pretty solid though I couldn't choose between mine since they were pretty different but I think Avaitor's best was the Tangled review, Insommy's was Summer Wars, and Foggle's was Ookami. Great job this year, guys.

Feature-wise, they were all pretty crazy and all over the place (in a good way), but my personal favorites were Chalmy's Tiny Toon pieces, EK's 2 Stupid Dogs article, and Avaitor's Disney Afternoon series.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I think this was a banner year for the blogs. I added three great new members to the blog who contributed a lot to them, and Foggle and I put out some pretty good reviews and features. EK only had one feature, his 2 Stupid Dogs one, but that was also really good.

My only regret was the lack of material Daemon put out in 2010, but he pulled a lot of weight in 2009 and already started the year off with a bang in his Nicktoons feature (good job, btw), so I can't feel too bad. His Mad review, the one thing I can think of that he did, was fair as well.

I loved your K-ON and Batman: TB&TB review, Desen, as well as your Duckman feature, which reminds me that I need to check more of it out soon. I also enjoyed Insommy's Summer Wars and Eden of the East reviews, both yours and Chalmer's THOH lists, and Foggle's Soulja Boy critiques. I could just say that I liked every article this year, but these were among my personal highlights.

New blog!

Commode

Yeah, it was pretty cool working on these things, although I guess we kind of crapped out on the Christmas features(oh well).  I still really want to do a review of How I Spent My Vacation, so I'll get working on that in a little bit, and I am pretty stoked to do the Nicktoons ones too, if we are still going through with that.

As for this past years, of course I liked my own, but yeah, DLA's Disney Afternoon reviews were really good, considering the amount of shows he had to do in a couple of months.  All in all though, I think we did a good job, and the articles are still worth checking out months later(I coincidentally re-read Foggle's piece on Soulja Boy and anime today, for whatever reason).
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Insommy kind of exploded with content in the last few weeks. It was stunning how much he put out, really.

This year I'll try to aim for about at least one review a month and a feature at least every two or three months to get a constant stream going. I still have to finish my Ren & Stimpy part of our masochism feature, and I'll probably be working on a review in the near future. (Hopefully within the next few weeks)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Are we still doing that masochism thing?

I don't even know what I'm doing now.

New blog!

Daxdiv

I was really looking forward to reading you Masochism review, if only to see Desensitized reaction to being forced to watch Ren and Stimpy. Really, I only remember that and you guys making Insommy watch the bad parts of CN, which should be interesting considering the time frame.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm still doing my R&S part of the review if you guys want to choose something else to do that's fine.

I can't actually remember what anyone else was doing other than I wanted Foggle to do Kiba.

Commode

I was apparently supposed to watch some Peach Girl anime or some shit.  I don't really know.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Insomniac

My CN part's kind of down the drain given that it's since been showing cartoons of actual quality, and Johnny Test is more boring than rage-inducing for me, so no fun out of a review for that.

Avaitor

Okay.

Wanna watch Fish Hooks, and see Maxwell Atoms and Greenblatt on a bad day?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I think Chalmy should get something better. I kinda just pulled that one out of nowhere.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Avaitor on January 04, 2011, 12:39:44 AM
Okay.

Wanna watch Fish Hooks, and see Maxwell Atoms and Greenblatt on a bad day?

Dude, I was going to suggest the same exact thing.

Also, since I heard the crew of Foster's is working on Fish Hooks, time to see how much Craig and Lauren held their hands during the production of Foster's.