Pixar! Their Films, Your Favorites, and More

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

I thought I wrote a piece about Finding Nemo here, but it doesn't appear to be in this thread. Perhaps somewhere else on AR?

...anyway, I'm too tired and lazy to look for it right now, but basically, I just said that I never understood why the internet grew to hate this movie so much as time went on. Often times I'd see words tossed around like "awful", "uninspired", even "shit" and other things of that ilk to describe it, and I don't get it. I mean, yeah, compared to Toy Story or Monsters Inc. or what have you it is a bit of a step down, but by no means was this a bad movie. Even if it is does skew to a younger audience more than the average Pixar flick, I still find a lot of enjoyment when watching it today (seen it a few months ago, as a matter of fact; holds up quite nicely).

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Before I head off, I just want to say that after seeing the new trailer for Brave, I have quite a bit more hope for it. It looks a lot better than the earlier ones did.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Daxdiv

I saw the new trailer for Brave in front of Avengers. First time seeing it and the story is better presented in this one than the past trailers.

Goldstar

Brave is Pixar's first animated feature with a female lead. Yeah, the main character is another rebellious princess, but her mother is alive and well, so that's already a change of pace for Disney.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I saw the trailer too. It was much better than the first one.

Once again Pixar's early trailer makes their film look less than it actually is.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Oh, this reminds me, you know what I thought was interesting with the trailer? You know how in every Pixar trailer, they say that it's from the makers of... and list 2 or 3 of their movies, and one of them is always their most recent one? For Brave, it stated  "From the makers of Wall*E, Toy Story 3, and Up".

Shows how bad Cars 2 is if they wouldn't even acknowledge it here.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, my friend at the theater pointed it out. He was like, "it's weird that they picked the emotional movies, isn't it?" which is true.

I'm just glad we finally got a non-sequel from them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

The first review for Brave is up. The catch? Ignorance.

Despite who it's from, this does kind of confirm some of my beliefs that can and might go wrong with the film. And most of my friends tend to agree with me there, as well.

New blog!

Avaitor

IGN is not the only one knocking the flick down it seems.

The reviews aren't too negative overall, but they do confirm my fears by saying that there really isn't anything new or special about Brave. It does look like that they might have fixed their earlier problems from its screentests, but it still won't rank among their best.

I wasn't expecting this to be like a Cars 2 (but I'm sure that there will be plenty more duds from Pixar in the future. If you don't think so, you're a fool), but I also wasn't setting my hopes up for another Wall*E or Up.

New blog!

Kiddington

The negativity is surprisingly contagious.

Remember the days when Pixar could seemingly do no wrong, and the only ones that had the guts to knock them down were people like Armond White, who were contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian?

Welp, looks like those days have drawn to a close. Granted, it's still pretty early, but I'm already getting the feeling that this isn't going to be an overwhelming critical darling either (I mean, at their peak, do you ever remember a Pixar film getting this many bad reviews right out of the gate?). It was bound to happen eventually, though. Just the way things go.

*cue the "Pixar has lost its magic" periodicals in 3... 2...*

talonmalon333

So if this doesn't do well, that's two Pixar movies in a row. Not good.

Spark Of Spirit

Of course there's also the possible case that critics are wrong. It has happened before, after all.

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 15, 2012, 11:42:13 PM
Of course there's also the possible case that critics are wrong. It has happened before, after all.

Well... yeah, but...

Look, after Cars 2, can you really blame anyone for being just a tad skeptical? I mean, that one was even directed the man himself - John Lasseter - and yet it was just about as average and forgettable as an animated movie I've ever seen. Who actually thought it was a good idea to give Mater his own movie? They might as well have just called it "Cars 2: Larry Needs a Paycheck". I still can't believe it even came from Pixar, to be totally honest. Felt more like an early Aughts Dreamworks offering.

I think Brave still looks really good myself, but when I see the critics already starting to pour it on... well... it leaves me feeling a tad uneasy, just to say the very least. I'm still expecting it to be good, but we'll see.

talonmalon333

How much money did Cars 2 make in comparison to last Pixar movies?