Pixar! Their Films, Your Favorites, and More

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

The last time I checked, The Good Dinosaur has 79% on RT. And I know a handful of people who have gone to see it, an while most do like it, I haven't seen anyone put the film above too many Pixar films, let alone Inside Out.

I'm not too surprised about its reception. This is what I was expecting- a solid entry into their canon, but hardly a 5-star outing. I'm waiting to go next week, when I'll have a group with me, but I'm still fairly excited.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Wasn't expecting it to top Inside Out in the first place, so I'm not surprised to hear "good but not great" reactions to this. Still very interested in seeing this, and hopefully I'll be able to get to it this weekend while I'm still with family.

Avaitor

Really meager numbers for The Good Dinosaur.

Dang. I'm going to see it on Thursday with a group, but I'm not expecting too much. I know a couple of people who really do like the movie, but no one who would consider it one of their best. Still, solid Pixar is at least worth a look.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Meh, I'll wait for this one on DVD. It doesn't really seem like my cup of tea, to be honest, but I could be wrong.

Inside Out was a surprise, though. That one really was an emotional journey on par with Pixar's best efforts.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nameless

I saw it yesterday. Although it's somewhat distressing to see a dent in Pixar's armor, it's understandable why that is. The movie is alright, but it's got a lot of clichés and I would describe it as "manipulative" at times. It feels kind of like the execs' idea of what a "Pixar movie" is. The seeming lack of marketing (Disney must be saving resources to push TFA) doesn't help at all.

And it was a troubled production anyway. Director switched out six months before release, movie delayed by a year and a half, story completely redone...this should be a warning sign to Pixar and to Disney, and I hope they respond to it with something other than forcing Pixar to make more sacrifices to Iger's franchise monster.

Daikun

Finding Dory comes out this Friday. While you wait, enjoy this Honest Trailer.

Avaitor

The reviews have been strong; I think it was at 92%, the last time that I checked. Some are more glowing than others, but the general consensus is that this is among Pixar's stronger sequels.

But I also hear that it is samey to Finding Nemo, so it may not be worth going to if you're not a big fan of it. And I'm not, so I'll probably wait until the Blu goes on sale for Black Friday.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

Still love Finding Nemo, so I imagine I'll enjoy this when I get to see it. Not surprised it got good reviews, though other than Cars Pixar is always a critical darling.

LumRanmaYasha

Finding Dory was pretty good. I'd say it's among the weaker Pixar sequels (excluding Cars 2), but the emotional center of Dory trying to find her family and learning to have confidence in her abilities was well-done, and pretty much any scene with her as a child was tear-jerking/heartbreaking/heartwarming/the feels. The side characters were a riot too, and there was a lot of creativity in how they moved the characters from one location to another. When this movie was first announced, I was skeptical that they could make a sequel to Finding Nemo that wouldn't just feel like a tired re-tread of it, but they really made it work and stand strong as it's own thing.

Spark Of Spirit

After Toy Story 3, it was the only one I wanted.

Good to hear. Maybe now they can get back on track.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Yes, great news. I need to catch up. Haven't watch a Pixar movie since....Cars.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Peanutbutter

The Toy Story sequels and Finding Dory from the sound of it were good, whereas half the people hated Brave which was original.

As long they deliver I don't care if we get sequels or originals. All they have to do is not spread themselves too thin.

gunswordfist

I am shocked that Finding Dory is supposed to be good. Has there ever been an unneeded sequel that was actually good before this?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody