Pixar! Their Films, Your Favorites, and More

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I'm still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Cars is an outlier as far as I'm concerned. Remember the movies we got after the first one? And most think Cars 2 was better than the first one.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 16, 2012, 12:15:58 AM
How much money did Cars 2 make in comparison to last Pixar movies?
A LOT.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

When you look at it, the reviews aren't too negative, but they are saying that you shouldn't expect the next epic from them. Really though, this doesn't seem like the type of story that Pixar should make, and the weak reception is proving it.

As for it's score raising up? It might, but not too high. Usually the most positive reviews come first. Cars 2 was fresh at first, you know.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 16, 2012, 12:37:42 AM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 16, 2012, 12:15:58 AM
How much money did Cars 2 make in comparison to last Pixar movies?
A LOT.
...less

It didn't even crack 200 mill here, and it made about half of TS3's box office worldwide.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 16, 2012, 12:37:42 AM
And most think Cars 2 was better than the first one.

Really? From what I've seen, most think Cars 2 is worse. In fact, it seems to be the only Pixar movie that's downright disliked (whereas most like Cars 1, but agree it's low tier for Pixar).

I thought both were fun for a single watch, but that's about it. I think 2 was worse though. Way over the top.

Avaitor

I see a few people who prefer Cars 2, but yeah, the vast majority of fans, even those who do like both movies, agree that they're among Pixar's weaker entries.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Yeah, they are probably my least favorite Pixar movies... I wasn't a big fan of The Incredibles when I saw it ages ago. But I was young. I fully believe I would enjoy it nowadays.

Kiddington

Honestly, I have a hard time believing that. Most people I talk to agree that Cars 2 was definitely the weaker outing (as do the majority of critics; I know you don't like going there, but it's the only Pixar movie to date with more negative reviews than positive, and that has to account for something).

But hey, to each their own I suppose. I didn't really like it (but I do like Cars 1; always thought that one took a lot more flak than it deserved, even if it's still a bit weak by Pixar standards), but the pace wasn't nearly as slow as the original Cars, so I suppose it does have its merits.

talonmalon333

I just think the whole secret spy storyline was overkill for a movie about cars. The original movie didn't capitalize on the car aspect enough. The sequel completely missed the boat.

Avaitor

I still haven't seen Cars 2, but the trailers made me think that it was just Cars on Steroids. Is that what it pretty much is?

New blog!

Kiddington

Pretty much. The pace is a lot faster, and things are a lot more hectic than the first movie. I'd say that's an apt comparison.

Once you see it, you'll realize what everyone means when they say it's "Mater's Movie". I mean, Lightning McQueen and the gang are all here obviously, but almost all of the big spy stuff was saved exclusively for him (which, I still don't get; IMO he's not an interesting character in the least, so why they felt the need for him of all people to "steal the show" is anyone's guess).

So, Avaitor, can I just ask; what did you think of the first Cars? The second is different in a lot of ways; it's not nearly as slow or emotional, so if you didn't like that aspect of the first movie, you might like this better. Then again, it's pretty much all about Mater, so if you're not a fan of his character, you probably won't care for it too much (like me).

Avaitor

Quote from: Kiddington on June 16, 2012, 02:48:20 PM
So, Avaitor, can I just ask; what did you think of the first Cars?
I thought it was slow and juvenile. Although I can appreciate if they sped things up, I still don't think Cars 2 it sounds appealing to me.

New blog!

Angus

Any thoughts on Brave (upcoming DisneyPixar princess movie)?
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Rynnec

It looks...pretty generic and uninspired actually. Then again, so did A Bugs Life and Ratatoulie, and those still got warm receptions, but I'm just not feeling anything with this one, though that may change once I actually see the film. Still, I guess it's great that Pixar finally made a film with a female in the lead role.

Avaitor

A Bug's Life is usually considered one of the weaker Pixar films (I like it, but it's not at the top for me), and Ratatouille is mid-tier at this point as well. Brave might be around there when all is said and done.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't know, I just can't get interested in Brave. I respect that they are doing a film with a female protagonist and all that good stuff, but the story itself feels like its been done a bunch of times before, and Brave seems to have no real twist to it save for the fact that its a female protagonist, which really doesn't do anything to make me more interested since the trailers just make the story look cliche and predictable. A young person wants to go on some special journey and prove themselves....yeah, seen it before. Maybe the movie will be much better than the trailers make it seem, that has certainly happened before, but I still don't plan on seeing this in theaters. Maybe it'll be worth checking out once it comes to Netflix, though.

Spark Of Spirit

You guys get Disney films on Netflix?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton