Pixar! Their Films, Your Favorites, and More

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Daxdiv

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I gotta admit, this one really surprised me. I would have honestly suspected Iger before Lasseter.

But shit.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

Definitely a huge disappointment.....really hope Pixar doesn't dip in quality because of this.

Avaitor

Over the past few days, I got around to Cars 3 and Coco.

Cars 3 was nice, but hardly essential, just like the first. The film wisely returns the focus to Lightning, while only occasionally giving Mater stuff to do, and while the side characters are similarly decent, there just isn't much here that stands out. I wouldn't even call the animation that much of an improvement over the last one, which for all of its problems, still looks pretty damn good. If you ask me, there just isn't much to these movies.

Coco I did like a lot more, but I'd be lying if I agreed with the mentality that this is one of Pixar's greats. The main problem for me comes to the surprising lack of strong characterizations. Pixar's strong suit has always been their ability to make even the smallest rent character lovable and iconic, but very few members of the cast stick out. Miguel in particular is a generic protagonist, all but missing his own "I want" song. On top of that, the story tricks that Lasseter and co have been recycling for decades- the buddy comedy pairing, easy to call twist, sob factor during the climax- is really starting to feel old. I'm seeing some call it their best movie in a decade, when hello, there's Wall-E, Up, and Toy Story 3, each of which run laps around this one.

But hey, when it's good, it's pretty darn good, and unbelievably pretty. More than enough of the film works for me to call it their best since Inside Out, but even that is a lot stronger and employs its tropes better IMO.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Daikun

It looks like I2's new villain has been teased.

Daikun

Avaitor

Here's a pretty damning article on Lasseter. It doesn't surprise me that he's really so bad, but I'm a little shocked to find out how much credit he seems to have stolen. No wonder Cars always seemed so derivative and compromised!

New blog!

Peanutbutter

Also explains the problems surrounding Brave and The Good Dinosaur. Simply put, they should have canned the guy when the first set of complaints came in. God forbid they try to find someone to replace him.

Daxdiv

Lasseter will leave Disney by the end of the year Rumor has it that his replacements are gonna be  Jennifer Lee for the Disney Animation Division & Pete Docter for Pixar.