Pixar! Their Films, Your Favorites, and More

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

Modifying my list since I saw Cars 2 last Monday.

1. Up
2. Wall*E
3. Toy Story 3
4. Monster's Inc
5. The Incredibles
6. Toy Story
7 Cars 2
8. Cars
9. Ratatoullie
10. Toy Story 2
11. Finding Nemo
12. Bugs Life

Yeah, I rank Cars 2 over Cars 1. I thought it had a better story and the spy stuff worked pretty well. My only complaint was how little the racing scenes were in this film, but the spy action and having a new depth to Mater's character was a nice change of pace.

Eddy

Alright, why not? Here's how I'd probably rank Pixar's films...

01) WALL-E
02) Toy Story 3
03) Toy Story
04) The Incredibles
05) Up
06) Ratatouille
07) Finding Nemo
08) Monsters Inc.
09) Toy Story 2
10) A Bug's Life
11) Cars

WALL-E is just a masterpiece from beginning to end. I have a hard time thinking about anything I don't like in that movie. And while I rank Toy Story 3 above Toy Story, the first one is a better standalone movie as what makes the third film so amazing is the fact that these are the characters we've grown up with going on one last adventure (so long as they don't make Toy Story 4 please god don't let that happen). The Incredibles and Up were both amazing, I had a hard time picking one over the other.

Toy Story 2 may be low on my list, but I still think it's a great movie. I honestly forget almost everything about A Bug's Life, though.

As for Cars, I just saw it for the first time recently, and... I really wasn't impressed. Easily Pixar's weakest movie for me. I mean, it was an alright film and I don't regret watching it, but I just didn't find the story all that interesting or the characters all that appealing. I also have a really hard time getting behind this world of sentient cars. I can accept some crazy stuff in movies and cartoons but a world full of living cars, living like people, is just strange to me.

I'm in no rush to see Cars 2.

talonmalon333

I actually found Cars 2 to be enjoyable. Not great, but good. They are both Pixar's worst though.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

The trailer for Brave is up. A legit trailer too, not just a brief teaser like we usually get first.

To be frank, I don't like it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It looks like HTTYD. Which is... kinda odd.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Desensitized on November 16, 2011, 02:22:41 PM
It looks like HTTYD. Which is... kinda odd.

So does that mean we've somehow jumped to the point where Pixar is trying to rip-off Dreamworks?

Preposterous, I say....:thinkin:

Avaitor

Honestly, I don't like the designs at all. I hated the way the main character looked the first time I saw her, and seeing her and the rest of the cast again only confirms my dislike of them. Pixar's always had a weird history with human designs, and this seems a little unnatural, like a weak attempt at going for exact humanism in their characters. I don't know how else to put it, but the designs just don't look right to me.

And the story just seems lame. It's only a trailer, yes, but trailers are meant to draw you in, and so far it looks like a lame attempt at recreating Disney's more recent films. They've already shown a rough draft out to reviewers, and the reception was quite negative, saying that among other things, it's very undeveloped. While I'm sure that they've worked on it since that, I don't think Pixar has it in them to tell a fantasy story.

It's too soon, but I'm really not feeling it yet. I'm hoping that my mind will be changed when I go see the film, but it seems a little too ambitious for the studio.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

This is more the type of film Disney itself did and its peak, Pixar has its own style. But I do agree, something about it seems off.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

Yeah, I'm not feeling this either. The trailer left me unimpressed.

Daxdiv

I'm not wild about Brave either after watching the trailer. Sort of feels like something I would see another animation studio that's trying to become the next Pixar or Dreamworks. In fact, if it wasn't for the reminders that this came from the guys that brought us Up, WALL*E and Finding Nemo, I would have just assumed that this was another studio's output.

Avaitor

I'm still on my major Disney kick, and I just watched Finding Nemo for the first time in years. It holds up a little better than I remember, but it's still not a favorite by any means.

Emotionally, it's very strong. Marlin's anxieties are completely understandable, while Nemo and Dory's dilemmas are about equally likable. I just don't think it's that funny. I only got a couple of laughs overall. Dory still annoys me more than anything, and I think the script is considerably more juvenile than any of Pixar's films up to that point. There's more reliance on gross-out humor and pop culture references than you probably remember, and the puns just aren't that good.

I just don't like it that much. It's not an awful movie, but I think Pixar has done so much better. I can understand why it did so well, since the humor's just right for younger kids and the emotional factor is perfect for adults. But I feel alienated by it in comparison, and would still pick most of Pixar's other works to it.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I think the worst thing about Finding Nemo was that it lead to Shark Tale. I do feel FN itself is a pretty safe movie, though, I agree.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on January 17, 2012, 07:44:35 PM
I'm still on my major Disney kick, and I just watched Finding Nemo for the first time in years. It holds up a little better than I remember, but it's still not a favorite by any means.

Emotionally, it's very strong. Marlin's anxieties are completely understandable, while Nemo and Dory's dilemmas are about equally likable. I just don't think it's that funny. I only got a couple of laughs overall. Dory still annoys me more than anything, and I think the script is considerably more juvenile than any of Pixar's films up to that point. There's more reliance on gross-out humor and pop culture references than you probably remember, and the puns just aren't that good.

I just don't like it that much. It's not an awful movie, but I think Pixar has done so much better. I can understand why it did so well, since the humor's just right for younger kids and the emotional factor is perfect for adults. But I feel alienated by it in comparison, and would still pick most of Pixar's other works to it.

Understandable. I agree that things like the gross-out humor is dumb. But other than that, I really like the movie. Alongside WALL-E, it's my favorite non-Toy Story Pixar film. I enjoyed most of the other humor, and the characters as well. It's got a cute story, too. And maybe this is mostly my love for the ocean talking, but I just adore the atmosphere, which is only aided by the wonderful animation (much more impression than Shark Tale's if you compare the two). Technically, WALL-E is has the most impressive animation for Pixar. However, I prefer the look of Finding Nemo.

Avaitor

Oh, the animation is top-notch. I forgot to mention that, but I always felt that away about Nemo. The water effects are out of this world.

New blog!