DuckTales

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 06, 2012, 05:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

So here's the show in action.

What I like-

-David Tennant as Scrooge. He's not Alan Young, but he seems to have good energy.
-Launchpad and Webby sound good, as well.
-The animation looks good in motion, which I was expecting.

What I wasn't crazy on-

-The nephews sound a little too old for their characters. I'm all for them being given more personality, but I'm not impressed yet.
-Is that Tony Anselmo as Donald? I honestly couldn't tell, and of all the people to recast, why him?
-I honestly didn't laugh once, but I'll give the show the benefit of the doubt for now. The original series and comics built their humor up by getting you invested in the characters before you could really start to gel with the jokes, so I can give it time.

It's a pretty decent start so far.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Wow, I can actually watch this. Weird.

My opinions are pretty much the mirror to yours. The preview doesn't really tell me a whole lot yet. I'm not crazy about the style of humor they're using, and the Quack Pack style of approach to the triplets, but I'll still give it a shot.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

The other thing is that it's an interesting call to make this a redemption story of sorts for Scrooge. It's a little different from the comics and original, where his exploits are still renowned, but he never really stopped going on adventures.

I don't think it's a bad idea, really. It's different, but I think Scrooge is similar to Sherlock and Batman where he's such a larger-than-life persona, that different interpretations are welcome. I know that Don Rosa and some other Barks purists don't care for the original show too much as they find Scrooge to be a little softer, but I think that works for its benefit as a series. Not to mention how Barks' Donald is less irritable than the cartoons make him.

So I hope this turns out to similarly be its own, good thing.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

The show looks awesome, but I'm not really sold on the characterizations and voices of Huey, Dewey, Louie, and Webby. In one sense they're less annoying without buccal speech, but I can see their too-cool for school attitudes getting on my nerves. Webby is basically a different character altogether and I'm not a big fan of the overexcited fan-girly character archetype they seem to be going for with her. 

I have a feeling I'm going to end up appreciating the animation and artistry more than actually enjoying the show. But Scrooge and Donald seem pretty on point and this kind of adventure show has been sorely lacking nowadays. I'm hoping that will keep me engaged even if the humor isn't to my taste.

Daikun

Peanutbutter

Glad they're confidant about this!

gunswordfist

I didn't really like any of the voices and the art direction will take some getting used to but besides that, I liked what I saw. I'm all for adventure shows
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

DuckTales and Tangled comics are coming.

Check out that preview- it looks like we get a peek of Duckworth here. Not sure if I'm into his design.

New blog!

Avaitor

Treasures of the Golden Sun really is a terrific introduction to the show and characters. You get a good feel of Scrooge and why he is the way he is, while the nephews and Webby do a fine job of softening his core, and finding his loyal side. I know Webby has never been the most popular character, but I felt she added a sweet side to the series and Scrooge in particular that the nephews would be afraid to. Frankly, I like the show's more sentimental Scrooge, even if it's kind of a controversial opinion. He's still a hardass, but the show gave him more moments to show how much he cares for his family, which was more subtext for Barks and Rosa.

Besides that and additionally solid introductions for Launchpad and Miss Beakley, the adventures they go through in here are fun and help to build the show's tone. I don't think every series need a five-part pilot, but we got a lot of good out of these episodes. Enough to where I say it works.

New blog!

Daikun

Spark Of Spirit

Ehhhhhhhh...

Not a fan. Just gonna say it. The Gizmoduck suit isn't clunky enough, which was part of a good portion of the humor, and Fenton's new design looks nothing like the old one. Like at all.

Might as well be a new character at this point.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

I'm a little sick of seeing Lin Manuel Miranda in everything, but I don't dislike the design here.

Foggle

The design is alright but I definitely prefer the old one. I don't know much about Lin Manuel Miranda except that Hamilton is the corniest hip-hop sensation since Crank That (Soulja Boy). I think I made it through maybe a fifth of the soundtrack before giving up due to cringe overload. I have no idea why people would pay thousands of dollars to go see it.

Avaitor

My girlfriend is obsessed with Hamilton, but I think it's cheesy af. I much prefer the soundtrack for Moana, but even then, I'll just say that there's a handful of reasons as to why I preferred Zootopia last year.

But he's a talented guy, and I'm sure he's a fan of the show and character if he's excited to get the role. The design is so-so, though.

My next concerns are Gyro and Magica. I would also like to see what they're doing with Glomgold, if they'll get Craig Ferguson or stick to Rosa's intent of him being African.

New blog!