DuckTales

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 06, 2012, 05:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I don't really see the point in remaking episodes from the classic show. I'd rather them do their own thing or adapt stories from the Barks and Rosa comics that the original show didn't touch.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

I wonder what celebrity they'll get to voice him when he comes, or if they'll stick with Jim Cummings voice like they're planning with Donald Duck & Ludwig Von Drake.

Spark Of Spirit

It better be Jim Cummings!

But this is a good confirmation.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

I just got done watching the hour-long premiere. (Don't worry, it airs repeatedly for 24 hours, so there's no rush.)

Disney has certainly kicked CN's ass in the reboot department. Go watch this as soon as you can!

Avaitor

So Cape Suzette and Spoonerville are canon in this verse. As is St. Canard, which shouldn't be as much of a surprise, given the announcement of DW being a part of the show.

This is a pretty terrific premiere, and has me excited for more of the show.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

Very good pilot. I loved the references to some of the original cartoon's episodes in Scrooge's garage. Loved Huey, Dewey, and Louie's personalities being individual. Dewey being the troublemaker will be interesting, Huey seems to be an enthusiastic voice of reason, and Louie is close to Webby. Webby too was pretty great, thanks to her being done by the girl who plays Sadie from Steven Universe. I loved all four of them in original, but let's face it the nephews only shared one character between and Webby was cute but there were some parts where things got close to mushy with her. They did a great job with casting on this show.

Speaking of which, David Tennant owned Scrooges. I hate that we lost June Foray and Alan Young within one year of each other, but Tennant did a terrific job. His infectious adventure lust and depression when burdened by Launchpad was great. I also can't say enough about how well done Launchpad and Mrs. Beakley are too. Launchpad is the closest to sounding exactly as in the original. Meanwhile Mrs. Beakley is different but in a more no-nonsense manner which fits her as someone dealing with an eccentric billionaire as their boss. Even Glomgold was done spectacularly! The only performance that will take getting use to for me is Donald. My mom complained she couldn't understand him. I translated some of his lines for her, but there are some lines that even I couldn't make out. I hope the voice direction improves on that. Donald's actor was ok in sounding like him but I blame direction in not emphasizing the annunciation that's needed with his distinct voice.

That one nagging point aside, the reboot is off to a strong start! Can't wait for more episodes.

Dreamer2

Yeah, there were times where it was hard to make out what Donald was saying. Which is a little weird, since he was voiced by Anselmo, and I can usually understand him as Donald. He is THE voice of Donald after all. Hopefully it doesn't become too distracting.

Spark Of Spirit

I was pleasantly surprised by it. Interesting that they went out of their way to mention Cape Suzette, Spoonerville, and St. Canard in the first few minutes, too. The biggest change from the first show was definitely Donald being present and, aside from a few lines that were hard to hear, was probably the best part of the whole thing. They fleshed out the cast well in only an hour time.

I'm missing Duckworth though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Quote from: Dreamer2 on August 13, 2017, 08:43:56 PM
Yeah, there were times where it was hard to make out what Donald was saying. Which is a little weird, since he was voiced by Anselmo, and I can usually understand him as Donald. He is THE voice of Donald after all. Hopefully it doesn't become too distracting.

Yeah, for some reason even though they have Anselmo in Ducktales and I have been accustomed to his voice over the years, there were some lines of dialogue that were hard to make out. When I find the fact that I can understand the VA of Donald in the newest Disney Junior show "Mickey and the Roadster Racers" (Who isn't Tony Anselmo btw) better than Ducktales, there's a problem.

All in all, it was off to a great start. The animation is fluid and captures a comic book feel quite well, the boys having different sounding voices is pretty neat and every about this felt like the crew behind the scenes knew it was doing. I'm interested in seeing this story about the boys' mother this time around and how it played into the current state of why Donald probably took care of these boys since at least babyhood if the pictures of Dewey taking his first steps is any indication.

Avaitor

I can't tell if we've been given audience surrogates to explain what Donald's saying in other recent works, or if he's just talking more than usual here, but yeah, I had a tough time understanding Donald, too.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Caught the pilot a while ago, and I loved it. Great characterization, reverence for the source material, beautiful backgrounds and excellent animation, all in all it has the makings of a great adventure-comedy just like the old show was. The strained relationship between Donald and Scrooge is particularly interesting to me, as is the reveal that the nephews' mother was a part of their adventures. I like the idea of having a plot thread underlying the show, so I can't wait to see where it'll go. Like everyone else, I did have problems understanding Donald at times, though I feel it got better in the second episode.

FoxKidsLover16

I just watched the pilot for the revival. It's really good. Honestly, it has potential to be better than the original and this is coming from someone who really enjoyed DuckTales (haven't seen it in about 2 years though). The adventure was awesome and I am really liking Webby's character. I am glad this reboot is doing well and it's pretty faithful to the DuckTales universe. Great stuff. I should probably go back and rewatch some DuckTales episodes some day

Avaitor

When I went home, I put on "Armstrong" and a couple of other episodes from the first volume. I think the original series was perfect for its time and holds up pretty well, and the new series really does feel like a modern version of the show, at least from what we've seen so far.

I hope it stays that way.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Funny thing, I went to a con the day the premiere came out, and I saw Don Rosa looking utterly miserable. Like if someone ran over his dog. I almost wanted to ask him if he had any thoughts regarding the new show and how the writers are fans of his work, but I didn't want to make him madder.