DuckTales

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 06, 2012, 05:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I'm surprised this thread wasn't made already, but I finally got a hold of volume 3 today since it was on sale at Walmart during their post-Christmas sales and just finished watching through it.

The show is still great, and most episodes on this set is still great fun to watch, but the show started to slide a bit with the Bubba 5-parter and it's easy to see why. The character never really did much for me and he mugs the screen constantly so he gets on my nerves a bit. Super DuckTales was a lot better since we get to meet Fenton and Gizmoduck, but unfortunately that's where the set ends. Shame we'll never get the final volume as I've really enjoyed rewatching the series, it's dated really well aside from a few episodes.

Do you guys love this show as much as me and Avaitor?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Both 5-parter arcs are pretty good, if horribly disjointed. Bubba does ruin his arc for me especially though. And the rest of the episodes after that are just as hit-or-miss.

But those first 65 episodes? Classic.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Looking over descriptions for the remaining episodes, I'm not sure if I actually remember much of any of them. Still, the 75 episodes actually released on DVD are pretty great for the most part so even though I'd like them to finish I'm not all that disappointed that they stopped where they did.

But I do miss 5 parters like TDA used to do. It leads to some pretty exciting stories like how big Super DuckTales can get at times.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Hmm, Desen, name an episode from volume 3 for me to rewatch. I'm in the mood for some DT now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

That's a thinker since I enjoyed pretty much all of them, but I think Dime Enough For Luck is a particularly fun one.

Avaitor

25 years old.

Wow, dontcha feel old?

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Meh. I watched this show on syndication anyway.

Silverstar

Quote from: Avaitor on January 06, 2012, 05:44:10 PM
Both 5-parter arcs are pretty good, if horribly disjointed. Bubba does ruin his arc for me especially though. And the rest of the episodes after that are just as hit-or-miss.

But those first 65 episodes? Classic.

Yeah, the problem with Bubba was that he really didn't do anything significant after his introductory arc. For the rest of his episodes he was kind of just there. I think Bubba only had 2 major roles after that: the one where he becomes really intelligent (and of course he has to lose his intelligence when the gang gets in a situation where only savage Bubba can save them) and "Bubbeo and Juliet". Part of why Bubba didn't really make an impact on DuckTales was because the show already had enough kid characters with Huey, Dewey, Louie and Webby. The show didn't really need another kid.

Fenton at least brought something different to the table, what with him being Scrooge's accountant and a superhero, he had things to do in both of his identities. The Gizmoduck episodes weren't as good as the first crop of DT episodes, but they were still enjoyable.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Kiddington

Something interesting I seen while in Best Buy the other day; apparently, the DVD sets (which are still very much in-print) have been repackaged to include an inflatable beach ball (?!), just for summer. I'm not sure what this is about exactly; I wanted to take a picture of it with my phone, but the damn asset protection guy was hovering around me the whole time (because I look the part of such a rotten criminal, apparently; although I suppose to his credit, the store was just about ready to close), so I never got a chance.

It is interesting though, in that Disney is still acknowledging the existence of these sets, albeit in a strange way that makes very little sense. Not quite sure what to think of it, really; they've pretty much abandoned the idea of ever giving us Volume 4, so why they've chosen to repackage these sets now, at this point, is anyone's guess.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This is probably better suited for the comics/manga board (though I didn't feel like creating a new thread just to post a single video link), but after seeing this video, I really have an urge to hunt down some classic Donald Duck/Uncle Scrooge comics. Those seem like some really entertaining stories.

Avaitor

So Disney Movie Rewards updated their reward of the movie's Disney Movie Club-exclusive DVD release by adding a couple of lithographs along with them, in honor of the show's silver anniversary. Since I hadn't actually ordered the movie yet, I decided to hit that up, and here's what it all looks like it my above post.

Great deal! The crazy thing is, I ordered this on last Tuesday, and it's here today.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

That is neat! I like.  :thumbup:

Avaitor

This is taken from a 1988 TV Guide Cheers & Jeers page.

It's great to see the show get some love outside of the demo even that early on!

New blog!

Inkwolf

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 21, 2012, 03:05:16 PM
This is probably better suited for the comics/manga board (though I didn't feel like creating a new thread just to post a single video link), but after seeing this video, I really have an urge to hunt down some classic Donald Duck/Uncle Scrooge comics. Those seem like some really entertaining stories.

Yeah, I have a whole bin full of them. ^^  It was my fandom for the Uncle Scrooge comic books that originally drew me to Ducktales...and also what made me unsatisfied with the show. (The comics are just so much more amusing!)

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Avaitor

So this is happening.

This mentions Donald, so I guess he'll have a role here after all, but I do hope that he doesn't overshadow Scrooge. But most of the DuckTales cast is also mentioned, which is great, since I really missed Launchpad.

As for voice acting, we may not have Alan Young and June Foray for too much longer in this world, but I would love to have them for at least some of the early episodes. I'm sure there are people who can pull off Scrooge and Magica themselves, but these are the voices I'll always know them for best.

New blog!