"Beauty and the Beast" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Avaitor, January 18, 2012, 08:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Release Date: November 22, 1991
Studio: Walt Disney Productions
Directors: Gary Trousdale, Kirk Wise
Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1

Plot Summary: Belle is a girl who is dissatisfied with life in a small provincial French town, constantly trying to fend off the misplaced "affections" of conceited Gaston. The Beast is a prince who was placed under a spell because he could not love. A wrong turn taken by Maurice, Belle's father, causes the two to meet.
COMMENTS?

So I wanted to do this as soon as the 3D release came out, but I kept on forgetting and got lazy. It's still out, but I haven't had a chance to go yet. I want to go with the same friend who saw TLK 3D with me, but I'm not sure if she'll be able to.

What about you guys? Have you gone to see it yet, or do you have plans to?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Saw it with my friends last Friday. The 3D is great. However, that first shot of the castle in the opening nearly gave me chills. Best use of 3D ever.

Still the best of the Disney Renaissance movies, after maybe The Lion King.

Spark Of Spirit

I'd love to go, if I could find someone who actually wants to see it. :/
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

By the way, to the delight of some of you, "Human Again" was left out.

Now it's a good song, and I don't mind it being there... It's the scene before it that I despise. It feels like it was added in much later, as the animation and style of humor stick out from the rest of the film. Doesn't fit at all.

Avaitor

The song itself isn't awful, but I think it's horribly placed, smacked right inbetween "Something There" and "Beauty and the Beast". Three straight songs from start to finish is a lot to handle and kills the pacing, especially since I find that the other two compliment each other perfectly.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on January 19, 2012, 03:52:02 PM
The song itself isn't awful, but I think it's horribly placed, smacked right inbetween "Something There" and "Beauty and the Beast". Three straight songs from start to finish is a lot to handle and kills the pacing, especially since I find that the other two compliment each other perfectly.

That, too.

Avaitor

We got to go see it today after all. It was a great experience to finally see it in theaters. I've seen the movie a million times and it admittedly does lose some of its magic for me in repeat viewings as opposed to some other Disney classics, I still really adore the whole thing.

The 3D really helped to compliment the gorgeous backgrounds, and looked pretty good throughout, aside from the village people, who looked strangely artificial and 1-dimensional (Jerry Beck complained about this when he saw a preview showing about a year ago, and I can see what he means). It worked about as well as Lion King did overall, though.

Oh, and Tangled Ever After was great. I got a lot of laughs from it. Since I greatly preferred Pascal and Maximus to Rapunzel and Flynn, I really enjoyed how it turned out.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This is another feature I wanted to see, but I'll probably end up missing it like I did with The Lion King. I was planning on taking my little sister to see it, originally, but I'll be stuck at college this weekend and probably next weekend as well, so that plan is pretty much gone, now. None of my friends want to see it (though they were all up for seeing The Lion King, until we had to cancel that plan), and I don't really feel like going on my own to see the movie, so I'll unfortunately have to end up passing this one up again.

Avaitor

I think that the moment where Belle arrives in her famous golden gown is one of the greatest little scenes in all of Disney's films. There isn't really much to it, but it just highlights Belle's beauty and the opening notes to the number are just brilliantly added in.

I also adore when the violin peaks after the line "Just a little change". Again, a bit subtle, but very nice.

New blog!