Input Required: Your Thoughts On Moving Web Hosts?

Started by Foggle, January 23, 2012, 04:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

As we all know, I made a big fucking mistake when I chose to go with the cheapest hosting plan I could find, because it turned out to actually be shittier than our free hosting. The site moves slower than an old man's bowel movements and often fails to load pages. The blog is practically unusable due to the horrifying capabilities of the server we're currently on. I hate flushing money down the toilet like this, but that's basically what happened, and I'm pretty fucking mad about it. Have been for months.

I would like to know your opinion on the matter. I have sold some things that I do not need to be able to pay for migration to a different hosting service. One that's actually not complete horseshit (or so I hear). Unfortunately, I do not exactly have lots of free time these days, so the move could take awhile (a week, say).  Is it worth it to you guys for me to go through with this, knowing full well about the possible large amount of downtime and possible data loss? I personally think so, but if no one else is actually bothered by the fucktardedly bad hosting we have, then I won't do anything about it.

I would also like to know if anyone would perhaps be willing to help me pay for the hosting. Keep in mind that I am not really looking for donations, as I will be switching hosts even if all the money comes out of my own pocket. But if anyone wants to give me a tiny bit to help with things, I would be grateful.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I really wish that I could help donate money to the site, but since I'm in college right now, I have no time to work. I am however in the process of getting my Pharm Tech license so that I can work at a local community or hospital pharmacy over the summer and earn some money. Once I start earning, I'd be happy to contribute to the site with what I can. That said since I currently don't have the means to help pay for hosting at all, I can't exactly fairly ask you to move hosts. That said while I do fully agree with you that our current host is shit, to be honest I can still live with it, since I found our previous hosting to be even worse (I mean, this site IS slow, but at least it works more than half the time). A better host would be nice, and I'd certainly be fine with it, but its really up to you whether you want to put the time and effort into switching. Either way, I commend you on single-handedly being able to keep this site running up until now. Its easy to forget that we probably wouldn't have this site in-tact if it weren't for you. :thumbup:

Foggle

Thanks dude. I definitely understand about the college thing. Money's tight for everyone.

I don't want to see our community die, though. I want new people to sign up and have folks who actually read our reviews/features blog. We won't be able to move forward as long as our hosting remains so bad.

Daxdiv

How much would you need to help for hosting? I wouldn't mind donating money to keep this site running.

Foggle

The hosting is on sale for something like $66/year. I can keep the domain so we're good there. It really doesn't matter how much you donate, if at all. I can set up some kind of paypal thingy if you feel like going for it.

Kiddington

If I could ever find a job, I'd be more than happy to help... but given my state of unemployment at the moment, I'm really not in the place where I'd be much good.

I'd certainly hate to see this site die, though. If things do take a financial upturn for me at any point in the near future, I'll let you know; I'd like to help in any way I can.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Foggle on January 23, 2012, 04:29:12 PM
The hosting is on sale for something like $66/year. I can keep the domain so we're good there. It really doesn't matter how much you donate, if at all. I can set up some kind of paypal thingy if you feel like going for it.

I'll give you about $20 for now if that's an option and helpful.

Foggle

Quote from: Kiddington on January 23, 2012, 04:40:19 PM
If I could ever find a job, I'd be more than happy to help... but given my state of unemployment at the moment, I'm really not in the place where I'd be much good.
Thanks anyway mate. Glad people are willing to help even if they can't.

Quote from: Daxdiv on January 23, 2012, 04:53:00 PM
Thanks a ton! I'm not really sure how this stuff works yet, so I'll have a donation link up tomorrow or something.

Commode

This is the second forum I frequent that is asking for monies, but unlike Nohomers I actually care about this site.  So I'll be glad to help out.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Foggle on January 23, 2012, 05:16:15 PM

Quote from: Daxdiv on January 23, 2012, 04:53:00 PM
Thanks a ton! I'm not really sure how this stuff works yet, so I'll have a donation link up tomorrow or something.

Well, I only know how to send money to you right now if you need it. I just go to Send Money, enter the email, write up the amount I'm giving to you. I'll going to say it's more of a personal thing rather than a purchase. Not sure how it works for websites or whatever since I never had to do that before.

Avaitor

I'm still job hunting, but considering how important this board and all of you are to me, as soon as I land a job, rest assured I will help pay.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on January 23, 2012, 06:42:54 PM
I'm still job hunting, but considering how important this board and all of you are to me, as soon as I land a job, rest assured I will help pay.
Quote from: Comeau on January 23, 2012, 06:05:19 PM
This is the second forum I frequent that is asking for monies, but unlike Nohomers I actually care about this site.  So I'll be glad to help out.
Thanks so much, guys. :joy: I really hate asking for donations because I know a lot of webmasters abuse that shit. Rest assured that I would not be doing so had I not already paid for our current hosting myself.

Quote from: Daxdiv on January 23, 2012, 06:24:34 PM
Well, I only know how to send money to you right now if you need it. I just go to Send Money, enter the email, write up the amount I'm giving to you. I'll going to say it's more of a personal thing rather than a purchase. Not sure how it works for websites or whatever since I never had to do that before.
I know the PayPal thing is just like making any other purchase online. If you don't want to do that then just shoot me a PM or email about what you're talking about. :)

Daxdiv

Well, I did donate to money to Strong-World one time since the admin needed the money for hosting and stuff and she basically walked me through it so I'm aware of how to send money to another account. I'm just curious if you're making a separate PayPal account for forum donations, or are you using your personal one. If you're using a personal one, just PM me the email address. If you send to me after 9 where  I live, don't expect to hear back from me until like 11 or so. Wrestling and all that.

Foggle

Not sure which I'm going to do yet. I'll be handling it tomorrow sometime.

Spark Of Spirit

My internet already runs slow, so I honestly don't really notice a difference.

It doesn't really matter what you choose to do as far as myself.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton