Favorite Manga

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 15, 2011, 01:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Literaly the first time I've ever heard of Dr. Stone.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

It started this year. It's a series by the writer of Eyeshield 21 and the man behind Sun-Ken Rock. Dr. Stone really does feel like a combination of the two of them.

It's gonna be a while before it gets an anime, though. In the meantime, you might enjoy Kimetsu no Yaiba. That'll probably be getting an anime by the end of next year.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've had my issues with some of SEW's videos lately, but this look back at what Shonen Jump was like 30 years ago is one of the better ones that he's put out in a while: https://youtu.be/wIh85_bCudk

VLordGTZ

Yeah, this was a far better effort than his previous Jump video! My only gripe with it is that he seems to brush off the importance of Jump's 80s gag manga at the end by claiming they've been forgotten by time, which is simply not the case.  Sannen/High School Kimengumi ran for 26 volumes in total and had an 86 ep anime plus a movie.  I think that's enough to say it was a success (he also wasn't aware that Sannen and the movie have English fan-translations).  Plus, both Kimengumi and Tonchinkan are available on digital platforms like BookWalker and Ebook Japan, so it's not like they aren't accessible nowadays.  They just aren't fully translated like the vast majority of gag manga.  Still though, those are only minor problems since the core focus of his video was the masculinity aspect of 80s Jump manga, which he handled quite well.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Thank you, Super Eyepatch Wolf: https://youtu.be/zFFru4q_4H8

Wish more anime YouTubers would view the series in this light instead of just remembering the flaws from its later arcs.

Avaitor

I saw that Uniqlo had 50th anniversary Jump shirts, so I went to the local one at Disney. I was worried that they'd have just the basic stuff for the west- DB, OP, Naruto, Bleach, Death Note- but there were plenty of different series. From some that have no stateside presence otherwise like Kochikame, Cobra, and Captain Tsubasa (seriously, when will we get a legal stream/similcast?) to ones with limited presence such like Gintama, Prince of Tennis, and Kinnikuman/Ultimate Muscle.

To most exciting for me- YYH and HXH! I got a shirt with both versions of Kurama, and one of the Phantom Trope. They also had one of Yusuke and Kuwabara, which didn't excite me as I own a cool fanmade shirt of them as Vincent and Jules from Pulp Fiction (one of two unofficially made YYH shirts I own, the other of which I'm retiring for looking too bootleggy), and one of Toguro, which looked great but wasn't available in my size. There was very few of that one left, which I hope means that it's a hot seller.

These use actual panel and original artwork from the mangakas, and are well worth a look. I also want to note a lack of Kenshin. Which is probably for the best.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

VLordGTZ

Yeah, the Uniqlo shirts are awesome!  On Friday, I went overboard and ordered the Kurama YYH, Captain Tsubasa, Rokudenashi Blues, Fuma no Kojiro, Cobra, Kochikame, and Dark Magician YGO shirts.  :sweat:

The next wave in July is also looking pretty cool (I definitely want that shirt of Raizen from YYH).

Avaitor

I'm going back on Friday, and may pick up the Kochikame and/or Cobra shirts just for the hell of it. I've only skimmed some of the next wave of shirts on their site- I'll probably wait to find out what they are when they arrive. I just hope Slam Dunk's a part of it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/