Seriously?

Started by Avaitor, February 01, 2012, 10:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I don't even know what to think but I'll probably end up reading these anyway.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

I'm sure Moore is thrilled.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Foggle on February 01, 2012, 12:39:20 PM
I'm sure Moore is thrilled.
They actually offered Moore the opportunity to do this in exchange for giving him and Dave complete ownership of Watchmen.

Well, at least they got seasoned writers.

Spark Of Spirit

Then he should have done it and just made a nonsensical prequel that had nothing to do with the original.

It's not like it's beyond him to do it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 01, 2012, 03:14:44 PM
Then he should have done it and just made a nonsensical prequel that had nothing to do with the original.

Alan Moore's pretty much "DC RAPED MAH BABBY" whenever the issue is discussed, so it's kind of hard for reason to be made.

Quote"I don't want money. I want this not to happen."

"I tend to take this latest development as a kind of eager confirmation that they are still apparently dependent on ideas that I had 25 years ago," said Moore, also the writer of the acclaimed League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Lost Girls and Swamp Thing. "As far as I know, there weren't that many prequels or sequels to Moby-Dick." The writer also said the Before Watchmen news reminds him of the "draconian contracts" he signed with DC at the time.

That said, Dave Gibbons seems pretty cool with the idea. And it's just as much his work as it is Moore's.

And wait a minute, Moore's complaining about doing sequels to his work, when he's basically done sequels to War of the Worlds and Dracula through LOEG. Butthurt hypocrite, much?

Foggle

Reminds me of a funny story.

Thomas Harris never wanted to write any sequels to Silence of the Lambs. When the movie got really popular, the studio demanded he produce a third book, or else they'd take the story in their own direction. Because of this, Harris turned the series into self-parody with Hannibal in hopes of killing the franchise. Unfortunately for him, the screenwriters were competent enough to keep his original story while making the film's script much more competent, thus raking in the cash and prompting Hannibal Rising. Thomas Harris wrote Rising to be as shitty as he possibly could so that no amount of editing could make it worthwhile... and that time it worked.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 01, 2012, 03:35:51 PM

Reminds me of a funny story.

Thomas Harris never wanted to write any sequels to Silence of the Lambs. When the movie got really popular, the studio demanded he produce a third book, or else they'd take the story in their own direction. Because of this, Harris turned the series into self-parody with Hannibal in hopes of killing the franchise. Unfortunately for him, the screenwriters were competent enough to keep his original story while making the film's script much more competent, thus raking in the cash and prompting Hannibal Rising. Thomas Harris wrote Rising to be as shitty as he possibly could so that no amount of editing could make it worthwhile... and that time it worked.
That explains a lot.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Metal Gear is a similar case. Kojima wanted to end the series with MGS, but Konami was having none of that. He intentionally wrote MGS 2's story and dialogue to be terrible and purposefully made many of the gameplay scenarios insulting to players because he wanted to be done with it then and there. We all know how well that turned out. MGS 4 actually contains many subtle allusions to Kojima being sick of Metal Gear Solid and wanting to move on with his career. It's depressing, really.

Dr. Insomniac

Daxdiv

I'm going to read this just because. Helps that I already think of Alan Moore as someone that got burned by the industry, much like John K. However unlike John K., Alan Moore still contributes to his medium.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on February 01, 2012, 03:48:36 PM
Metal Gear is a similar case. Kojima wanted to end the series with MGS, but Konami was having none of that. He intentionally wrote MGS 2's story and dialogue to be terrible and purposefully made many of the gameplay scenarios insulting to players because he wanted to be done with it then and there. We all know how well that turned out. MGS 4 actually contains many subtle allusions to Kojima being sick of Metal Gear Solid and wanting to move on with his career. It's depressing, really.
And here I thought he original wanted it to end in MGS2 with Otagon and Snake dying for their country at the end of the game (he said that, can't make this up).

Anyway, I've been waiting Kojima to just move on for awhile now. MGS4 was more than enough. People need to also learn what spirtual sequels are, ask him for that and then leave him the hell alone. Also, in before Desen goes on about this..again.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 02, 2012, 02:33:45 AM
And here I thought he original wanted it to end in MGS2 with Otagon and Snake dying for their country at the end of the game (he said that, can't make this up).
That was his original idea, yes. Konami wouldn't let him do it, though, so he tried to find other ways to bring about the definite end of the series.

Personally, I think every Metal Gear game is excellent (never played Acid, though), so I'm okay with all the stuff we got. But I really wish Konami would let Kojima move on with his life.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on February 02, 2012, 10:35:13 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on February 02, 2012, 02:33:45 AM
That was his original idea, yes. Konami wouldn't let him do it, though, so he tried to find other ways to bring about the definite end of the series.

Personally, I think every Metal Gear game is excellent (never played Acid, though), so I'm okay with all the stuff we got. But I really wish Konami would let Kojima move on with his life.
Amen. MGS4 is still my favorite game (still need to actually play the 1st one though) but it's time for Kojima to move on. He needs to change his fucking email address, get some addition personal security and do what he wants to.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Is Kojima contractually obligated to stay with Konami and keep making MGS games for them? Because if not, he is now popular enough to leave that company whenever he wants and get support from another big 3rd party developer that won't force him to milk out the same series for years and years, if he really want to move on. That said maybe he is kind of stuck with Konami for some reason.

Spark Of Spirit

Konami needs Metal Gear to survive, basically. How did they survive between the MSX and the PS1, you might ask? Well, Konami sure doesn't remember.

Anyway, on topic some things are meant to come to an end. DC needs to just let Watchmen go, it wasn't meant to be made into a franchise and because of that it simply can't be one.