The Top Ten Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 06, 2012, 02:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

That's the softer song I was thinking of.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

Aside from the songs I already bitched about, it's a really solid list.  Although I think "Rabbit Run" is the better 8 Mile song over "Lose Yourself"(it's still good though).

I don't know if I could do a top twenty list like this, but I will say that my favorite pop song from the last decade is "Crazy in Love".

Avaitor

Still no replies on tz. Not surprised honestly. Activity has really died in the past year or so, and the Music board was never too active to begin with.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

I don't think most people on tz listen to music, and many of them were probably too young to know what some of the older songs are anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Outkast is the best band/group that I just can't entirely like. They have some phenomenal songs, but still inhibit so many of the problems hip hop has had over the past decade, ESPECIALLY on the album Hey Ya was from.

But that song proved that they're a phenomenal group with massive amounts of untapped potential due to being fixated with all the lesser parts of the hip hop scene.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Yeah, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is pretty weak. It's obvious that 3000 and Big Boi were having creative difficulties and were ready to branch elsewhere, since they're actually both solo albums combined together. Andre's disc is stronger, but you can't say that it completely proves that he was the stronger member of Outkast, since it's still far from perfect.

I will say that Stankonia is one of my favorite hip-hop albums, but the rest of their discography is rather erratic. But I knew right from the beginning what the top 3 were going to be, and the only way "Hey Ya!" might not have been #1 was if I went with my earlier deadline, in which case I could've also gone with "Smooth".

Oh, also, here's a fun fact- SBxxx/TLB is the last album to this date to have gone diamond. Mostly since it's a double album sold for the price of a single one, and the RIAA doubles the sales of 2-disced LPs together.

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Comeau on May 27, 2012, 09:57:01 PM
I don't think most people on tz listen to music
How can you not?

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 27, 2012, 09:57:39 PM
the lesser parts of the hip hop scene.
Can you elaborate on this? I think I know what you're going to say, and if I'm correct then I agree with you, but I'm curious.

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on May 27, 2012, 10:14:05 PM
Quote from: Comeau on May 27, 2012, 09:57:01 PM
I don't think most people on tz listen to music
How can you not?
I think Chalmey means that the vast majority of tzers may not listen to music how we do- as in, listen to full albums from artists all over the place, appreciate the notes, lyrics, melodies, creativity, etc, but rather just listen to what's on the radio or stick to one side of the spectrum.

Because I think he might be right.

New blog!

Kiddington

I could go over there and write something if you want, but it would largely just be a regurgitation of what I've written here. It's probably not even worth it.

Good list, though, by the way. I'm impressed that you had the willpower to keep Demi out of the #1 slot (not that #2 is all that shabby  ;)). Hey Ya is a great choice, too; not sure if it'd be my #1 (I'd have to really think about this before I decided either way), but it'd probably be in my top 5 as well.

Avaitor

I'm just always up for hearing what you guys think about this and my other projects.

I'll probably take a day or two before I start on the Nick list. But I do want to actually work on that fairly soon since I feel like the iron's hot when it comes to my work.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It was a solid list overall. I'm just grateful you didn't put that horrendous Gomez song on the list.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 27, 2012, 09:57:39 PM
the lesser parts of the hip hop scene.
Can you elaborate on this? I think I know what you're going to say, and if I'm correct then I agree with you, but I'm curious.
Thug mentality, glorifying greed and the almighty dollar, waxing poetic about how low you think of women.

I tried so many times to get into them, but their albums are plagued with that stuff. Which is strange because their best songs (and hits) are frequently not.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Yeah, I hate that shit too. Do you like hip-hop at all when the lyrics are good and meaningful? If so, you should check out an artist named Brother Ali. His music is some of the best I've heard in a long time.

Avaitor

You can also add in tons of filler one minute sample demos to that, because that's another major problem I have with their albums and hip-hop in general.

Also, do you have any particular favorites or least favorites from the list? Like, what would've you put on or kept far, far way yourself?

New blog!

Avaitor

haha, already got a post, and it's from someone saying "Skyscraper" is too low. :awesome:

New blog!