Anime Movies

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, February 09, 2012, 03:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I haven't watched a lot of these, but its really nice when I get the opportunity to watch an animated Japanese film, as to me they are very different entities from the various anime TV series and OVAs that we are so accustomed to seeing. For instance, many of them have actual real talent behind them, both in terms of animation and story-telling. I mean, while I'm not a fan of his movies, I have a lot of respect for Miyazaki and his films, and I recognize the extreme level of talent that a man like him has. Its the same with people like Satoshi Kon even though I'm not a fan of his movies, either, except for maybe Tokyo Godfathers, but unfortunately I never got to see more than half of that movie.

Anyways, in terms of what to discuss, I guess I'll just mention that I finally just got to see Summer Wars. I thought it was really good. Its sort of like Digimon: Our War Game, except with better writing and story-telling, better animation, more 3-dimensional characters, and a MUCH better dub that doesn't completely and utterly butcher the script and change all of the music with painful to listen to pop songs. So yeah, other than being better than that film (which to be honest I still really, really liked) in just about every conceivable way, its pretty much the same thing. :>

At any rate, this has gotten me interested enough to try and check out Mamoru Hosoda's other works in animated films, though when I say that the only one that I know about is The Girl Who Leaped Through Time, so basically its just gotten me interested in seeing that film. :D

gunswordfist

My favorites are:
Cowboy Bebop The Movie
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
Lupin III Secret Of Mamo
Lupin III Castle Of Cagliostro
Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal

I want to see:
Lupin The III Episode Zero
Appleseed Ex Machina
and most importantly, Sword Of Stranger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS3Zr8C96KI
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daxdiv

Who's going to see the Secret World of Arrietty coming out tomorrow? My current plans are to go there tomorrow.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Daxdiv on February 16, 2012, 07:28:13 PM
Who's going to see the Secret World of Arrietty coming out tomorrow? My current plans are to go there tomorrow.
Yeah, if the time's right, I'll be going.

Avaitor

We don't have a Ghibli thread? Well, I'll just post here.

Another Miyazaki movie with war and aviation themes. Does he have any other interests?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/