TV Sucks

Started by Commode, February 09, 2012, 08:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

Post stuff you dislike or don't understand about TV in this topic, including trends, popular yet awful shows, Snooki, and so on.

The reason I started this thread is what is up with all these weird reality shows they have on cable now?  Stuff like Pawn Stars and Storage Wars and shit?  I just saw an ad for a show about towing cars, and if I'm not mistaken it's not the only one on TV(there's another one called Operation Repo, right?).  How is something as mundane as repossessing cars worth enough to make a TV show about it?
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Why did people let Unsolved Mysteries die but turned around and watched "reality" like the Jersey Shore?

One of those can actually benefit people!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Unsolved Mysteries did make a brief comeback not all that long ago (2008-ish or so; Dennis Farina was the new host, among other things).

I'm guessing that reboot didn't last. I haven't seen it on in ages.

Dr. Insomniac

Despite hating the show myself, I honestly think bitching about Jersey Shore and any other reality show has become overdone. Yes, Snooki is a cunt who does not deserve a single cent that she made from that series. But attacking her will only spread her infamy.

Also, I hate how British sitcoms have entire series that are shorter than most seasons. Know it's due to quality control and a budget, but it just feels wrong having so little of shows like Fawlty Towers to watch.

Commode

Is Unsolved Mysteries not on TV anymore at all?  I remember watching the show on Lifetime(yeah ha ha) with my mom all the time as a kid.  It was a pretty awesome show, and I would like to see it again.

...Remember Supermarket Sweep?  Another show that was on Lifetime that we watched a lot.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Kiddington

The original Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack hasn't been on TV in a really long time; probably closer to 10 years or so, at least.

The revamped version with Dennis Farina was still on as recently as 2010 (and airing on Spike, no less), but I haven't seen it in a while. Of course, I thought I heard something about the rights going back to Lifetime, so maybe it's on there now. I dunno, I'd have to check.

Spark Of Spirit

It's on Lifetime like once a week. Fridays at like 5:30 and that's it. It's such a shame because it really was a good show and it helped a lot of people and families out as well as offering some interesting stories from across the world.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I have a soft spot for Jersey Shore. It's like watching a tanned train wreck. Can't look away.

Besides the lack of good channels I have, I too hate all the family business or whatever shows. So many bad reality shows that I forget what the hell we should be replacing them with. I also hate all of the blow stuff up shows and all the shows about jobs (truckers, oil workers, etc.) Shit, seriously someone tell me what good tv should be like because they made me get lost here.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rosalinas Spare Wand

There's far too many daytime talkshows in the LA area. I thought blocks of court shows were mundane, but after sitting through hours of Anderson/Wendy/Oz/all those other D-tier hosts, I start to wish I could be watching those old UPN dumping ground shows.

Spark Of Spirit

I miss soap operas. Nothing like mixing the bombast of theater with the most mundane plots of television to create some absolutely weird stories.

Too bad the genre is on its last legs.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 10, 2012, 03:40:50 PM
I miss soap operas. Nothing like mixing the bombast of theater with the most mundane plots of television to create some absolutely weird stories.

Too bad the genre is on its last legs.
They're still around and thriving as telenovelas and British soaps. Don't even need to learn that much Spanish to get all of it.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Watch any that feature Malillany Marin. She is hot as fuck and always plays a grey-area character. William Levy is also very english friendly since the dude grew up outside Mexico if I remember correctly.

Avaitor

LUCY LIU AS WATSON?!!!!

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME, CBS?!!!!!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on February 28, 2012, 10:13:34 PM
LUCY LIU AS WATSON?!!!!

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME, CBS?!!!!!
House ending, Sherlock's season finale, the RDJ sequel, and now this. Huh.