TV Sucks

Started by Commode, February 09, 2012, 08:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I hear that The Walking Dead season premiere broke some record. If the show is even half as bad as it was when I caught the first 6 or so episodes in a row and THE record (highest rated premiere) was the record they were referring to, then it's safe to say that tv audiences are stupider than ever.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

The ratings improve all the time for this show.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Makes me want to slap talon.

Avaitor

In all honesty, a lot of the people whom I know watch the show, especially those who read the comics, do agree that it isn't necessarily great TV, but they like the action and some of the characters enough to stick around.

There are also some people who stick around just for the end game, but I don't think even Kirkland knows how it'll end.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on October 17, 2014, 02:43:42 AM
In all honesty, a lot of the people whom I know watch the show, especially those who read the comics, do agree that it isn't necessarily great TV, but they like the action and some of the characters enough to stick around.

That's about how it is for me. The show has an intensity to it and atmosphere, and I like the characters to a certain extent. As a whole, though, the show doesn't really stick with me much. I can get engaged with it when it's on, but every time the season ends and I'm away from it, I lose all ounce of attachment to it.

Kiddington

I dunno, count me in as another that just can't get into it. I feel like I'm watching the same thing every episode; like yeah, it's brutal and intense, which I guess makes it entertaining, but.....eh, it's just not for me. I feel like it would've made a great mini-series though.

Speaking of everything being the same, you know what I just noticed today? There's a third NCIS now (with Scott Bakula!). Like I kinda get the appeal to the original (the cast all being quirky as hell, with standard procedural platitudes thrown in), but it's hard to believe this went from being "just another cop show" to its own major franchise. What did I miss in the period that this went from middle of the pack, to the highest rated show on TV? Is it literally any different now than it was 10 years ago?

Avaitor

NCIS is that weird kind of show that is supposed to be insanely popular, but I couldn't tell you anyone I know in real life that actually watches it. And I know that the show's ratings in the 18-49 demo aren't all that impressive, but the people I know outside of it hate procedurals.

And then you compare that to the other big shows on TV- Walking Dead, Big Bang Theory, Game of Thrones, the Shonda Rhimes trifecta (although Grey's is falling into the same exact trajectory that ER did- we're at the phase where less people are watching it each week, but good timing and control from its creator is keeping it around for now)- where I can't tell you how many people I know keep up with them, and NCIS seems like an afterthought.

New blog!

talonmalon333

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/28/syfy/

QuoteSyfy knows they messed up. Now they have a plan to win you back.

The cable network's top executives won't say this in such blunt language, but they acknowledge that somewhere along the line, the network missed an opportunity to have more great scripted dramas.

I always forget that channel still exists. :P

gunswordfist

i had to turn after seeing jimmy fallon on stephen colbert. fallon is like the worst late night tv host ever. he is not funny and is one of the main reasons why i liked mad tv more than snl as a kid. his skits are only funny when the rock is onscreen.

gunswordfist

the slap. clear overreaction bait. i hope it tanks and i never hear about it again.

gunswordfist

Is it safe to say that all ARers hate lip sync battles already?

and nice change, commode.

Daikun

Commode

I demand royalties.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

A year supply of all the toilet cakes you can chew on then.

Spark Of Spirit

Thinking of the disaster that is season 2 of True Detective, I was curious of your thoughts. What are some of the worst second seasons you can think of?

A few I remember include:

Dark Angel: Season 1 was a pretty good action adventure show. Season 2 was Buffy-lite and blew chunks. Shame it got canceled, but it really was lousy.
The OC: Season 1 was a pop culture phenomenon-- it even momentarily made Death Cab For Cutie relevant (like Garden State did for The Shins who were also promptly forgotten) before season 2 sent a wrecking ball to the whole thing. It was amazing how fast this fell apart.
Heroes: I have yet to see beyond one episode of this show, but am assured that it gets stupid really fast after season 1.

Any other examples?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton