TV Sucks

Started by Commode, February 09, 2012, 08:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I haven't really seen enough shows, but I could list my least favorite seasons from certain other shows:

Buffy Season 4
Angel Season 4
Dexter Season 6
Boy Meets World Season 2
Monk Season 3 (not bad, but the transition was awkward)

I can also list some of my favorite TV seasons as well:

Breaking Bad Season 4
Game of Thrones Season 2
Boy Meets World Season 4
Buffy Season 2/3
Angel Season 5
Arrow Season 2
Dexter Season 4
Malcolm in the Middle Season 3

Spark Of Spirit

I liked the transitional episodes of Monk because they played well into how awkward Monk's life was. On normal shows, it would bug me, but Monk I just dug from start to finish. I do wish they would put it back on Netflix-- I've been wanting to rewatch it for a good while now.

My personal favorites right now are Arrow season 2 and Person of Interest season 3. They just nailed everything in those two.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

In terms of shows I've actually finished, I can only really think of the last 1.5 seasons of Battlestar Galactica. They weren't awful by any means, but a lot of the plot developments were very stupid and sometimes even cringe-worthy.

As for favorites, seasons 1-4 of The Wire are perfect television, with each one better than the last.

gunswordfist

The last season of Burn Notice is frustrating. I'm still giving it a break
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

As far as sophmore slumps go, I think that Glee's pretty much destroyed any potential the show might have had and subsequent seasons got even worse. Heroes' second season also destroyed that series' momentum and it never got better afterwards.

As far as my least favorite seasons of shows, go, that would include:

That 70's Show seasons 7 & 8
30 Rock season 6
The Office seasons 8 & 9

That's all that I can think of right now that I really didn't like. There are other seasons of shows I wasn't big on, like Community season 4 and Louie season 4, to name a few, but I liked too many episodes or moments in those seasons to think of them as outright bad. I'd probably be able to list more if I included animated shows.

gunswordfist

Kind of a random thought but pretty much every new character after Leo in That 70s Show seemed out of place to me. In later seasons it made it seem like a straight up [bad] parody of the show.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

... Why?

The show just ended, NBC has The Voice, and these kinds of shows aren't as popular as they used to be anymore. At least wait until the decade's over to reboot it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Peanutbutter

The Flash/Supergirl's showrunner has been fired.

https://www.thewrap.com/flash-supergirl-ep-andrew-kreisberg-fired-sexual-harassment-accusations/

Somehow I don't feel guilty about not catching up on Flash's second season still.

Avaitor

I've been seeing others bring up how TV seasons are shortening themselves, primarily on streaming. Only the networks and kids shows on cable are still doing 20-something episode seasons, while cable and streaming have cut things down from 13 episodes, to 10, and now they're doing 8 or less.

I understand that episode budgets are getting bigger, and the shorter seasons can work well depending on the series. Game of Thrones, for instance, probably couldn't have afforded to have more than 10 episodes a season, and it did a good job of making a season feel full at least early on. It also works that The Queen's Gambit only had 7 episodes, as it's an adaptation of a novel, and makes each episode count. But the recent MCU shows feel undercooked with little breathing room, and I'm noticing that other shows are feeling similar. Sometimes, it feels like some of these showrunners would rather be making a movie instead.

It's funny, a couple of years ago, I probably would have been in favor of the shortened seasons, and brought up how a lot of network shows had plenty of fluff in their seasons. But I've been watching Buffy for my blog again, and I'm honestly vibing with some of those early "filler" episodes more than I remembered. They're good for character and world building, and can offer worthwhile moments almost as well as the best episodes. If anything, these help to keep the pacing of a show. If everything only exists to fulfill the bigger picture, it can get exhausting. Television shouldn't need to be film.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

It does feel like the lines are blurring between tv and movies as storytelling mediums, especially as tv has gotten more high budget and reliant on tighter serialized storytelling. Both Falcon and Winter Soldier and Loki felt like they could be done as a couple of movies with a little re-editing. I definitely wish Loki in particular had a longer status quo where Loki and Mobius were just doing time-traveling adventures before Sylvie and the rest of the plot kicked in.

Dr. Insomniac

So yeah, Warner Bros/Discovery's been shooting itself in the foot in the last couple weeks, to such a level that even execs from rival studios are like "What the hell are they doing?"

Avaitor

The thing that sucks (well, one of the things) is that HBO Max was easily the best streaming service before all of this bullshit started coming down.

It's really depressing.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

So Riverdale's finally over tonight, and I actually saw people mourning, not because out of any enjoyment for the show ironic or genuine, but just because they're sad another 22-episode season show is gone.