TV Rocks

Started by Dr. Insomniac, February 09, 2012, 09:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I was wondering if either would ever happen for a while. I'm glad to see the issues have been settled.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Plus we're getting all of Hill Street Blues and The Bob Newhart Show, as well as more sets of Newhart.

Now I just want CN and Disney to finish their older shows up. Oh, and the rest of The Muppet Show.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I like that they went straight for a "Complete Series" release, too. No starting off with early seasons then tapering off.

Give me my KOTH, Fox.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I was trying one of those things out similar to the ones we did before about movies, video games, and albums released the years since were born, but for TV shows, and by the traditional TV season. For example, instead of starting off with a cumulative choice for 1991, I went for shows that aired during the 1991-1992 season, since I was born later in the year. And since the Emmys consider shows that air in the summer to be a eligible not for the coming awards ceremony, but the following, I'd follow in that trend.

The problem with this is that it's hard. Crazy hard to think about entire seasons of multiple shows and decide what is the strongest overall, especially now that most of the best shows have 13 or less episode seasons instead of the standard 22 on the broadcast networks. But I will say that the 2010-2011 season was a great time for TV. That had my favorite season of HIMYM (the sixth), my favorite Parks and Rec (the third), my favorite Community (the second) and one of the best for Mad Men (the fourth), plus the start of Game of Thrones and Louie. All it was missing was Breaking Bad, which missed that eligibility period, but still, pretty cool.

And yeah, I'm saving this for later, cause it's way too much for me right now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

And then I found this thingy, which is pretty cool.

My votes went as such-

True Detective vs. Game of Thrones- I haven't talked about True Detective on here, have I? Well, it kicks ass if you're interested. But it's up against Game of Thrones, which might just be the best show on TV and possibly my front-runner for the whole game, so maybe next time, TD.

The Good Wife vs. Scandal- Since I don't watch either, I have to pass for now, but both interest me. The Good Wife moreso, partly cause of Julianna Marguiles.

Hannibal vs. Bob's Burgers- I like both, but Hannibal is a more interesting show to my tastes, and is off to a great start this season. Also, I'm over a season's worth of episodes behind on Bob's Burgers.

Orphan Black vs. The Americans- I REALLY like both, but I think Orphan Black is slightly more exciting to my tastes. It also helps that Tatiana Maslany might be my new #1 crush.

Sherlock vs. Archer- Easiest match here for me. I like Sherlock, but I never really think about it when the new episodes wrap up. Archer is the most consistently funny show on TV, and I come back to it a LOT. I just wish it wasn't up against a show with such a big, obnoxious fandom.

Arrow vs. Brooklyn 99- I don't watch either, so I have to pass. I'll probably get to them at some point, though. I keep on hearing that Arrow is the good comic book show for the big 2, while B99 has some strong overlap with the best of Parks and Rec in terms of talent. I just can't seem to get around to watching them, though.

New Girl vs. Veep- Both of these run under shows with a fair amount of good elements that don't elevate to greatness for me, but I actually care enough about Veep to stick around, so it gets my vote. Plus, the insults are some of the best I've heard in a comedy.

Community vs. Mad Men- This season of Community has been a major step up from the last, but I feel that the past couple of episodes have been lacking (I blame Troy's departure), while last season of Mad Men was its weakest to date, but I think I have to go with the latter, since I like the whole of it more.

This really is a good era for TV, though! I can definitely think of a couple more shows which should be here. Although one of them is a Netflix original, which is obviously a big no-no.

New blog!

Avaitor

The next round is up, and my votes went as such this time.

Sherlock vs. Hannibal- I like Sherlock. Honest, I do. But Hannibal is just killing it this season. To the point that I can honestly say that Mads Mikkelsen>Anthony Hopkins. I'm not sorry, either.

Community vs. New Girl- Just as simple here. I watch Community every week (hella good episode this week too, btw). I haven't seen a New Girl episode since the Prince one. Bam.

Game of Thrones- I will get to Arrow soon, honest, but since I actually watch and adore Game of Thrones, well...

Scandal vs. Orphan Black- Same as the last match, just replace Arrow and Game of Thrones with Scandal and Orphan Black.

This round was a lot easier, but that's just fine in my book.

New blog!

talonmalon333

What do you guys think of the Writers Guild of America's top 101 best TV shows of all time list?

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/wgas-101-best-written-tv-series-of-all-time-complete-list/

I tried to include the list in spoiler tags on this post, but for some reason, the tags didn't work. Maybe because the post became too big? Either way, the list can easily be seen just by clicking on that list. So feel free to give your thoughts.

Avaitor

Even with the shitty finale, I still think HIMYM is better than Friends and Will & Grace combined. I'd also easily put Mary Tyler Moore above Seinfeld, M*A*S*H, and certainly All in the Family. Lost and Buffy also need to be switched, and there should be room for Joss' other shows and more British series.

As for The Sopranos, now that I'm almost done, I do see how one can prefer it to The Wire, but I'm not sure if I personally do.

New blog!

talonmalon333

I'm just going to give some quick thoughts on a few of the choices.

Quote2. Seinfeld

Great show, but I can't agree with it being the second best show ever.

Quote3. The Twilight Zone

I think this should maybe be #1 on the list.

Quote11. The Simpsons

No way a show where only 50% of the entire series is good, deserves to be this high. It's a classic, but I can't put The Simpsons in the top 20.

Quote12. I Love Lucy

I might honestly squeeze this into the top 10. All time classic.

Quote26. The X-Files

Great show. I might put it a bit higher.

Quote27. Lost

Obviously my personal #1 choice but I can acknowledge that many have their criticisms of Lost (even if plenty of them are exaggerated or simply misguided). That aside, I do think this should be in the top 20.

Quote30. Curb Your Enthusiasm

I love Curb Your Enthusiasm and think it's hilarious. That said, I'm not sure if I can agree that it's one of the top 30 shows of all time.

Those are just for some picks in the first half of the list. I might comment on the second half later.

gunswordfist

UFC on Fox was pretty good last night. One guy was said to be the one that will easily KO the other. That guy ended up getting his ass beat and I could not be happier. Werdum whooped his ass and trolled the hell out of him during the fight. Just look at the end of the 2nd gif. :D

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CDXytpJ6ErE/U1Mv-nop1dI/AAAAAAABCsA/Fmtk_FSBaY8/s1600/kipouty.gif

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FaIW3qC4oGI/U1MqrQPASkI/AAAAAAABCrY/mLvZ7QPiwQw/s1600/2.gif
http://giant.gfycat.com/FrequentAngryIberianmole.gif
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1bL5AYbDsNg/U1MuhwDrNdI/AAAAAAABCr4/o7i-O01p0TI/s1600/CLOWNED.gif
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Awesome article on Hill Street Blue's influence. They got Martin, David Simon, and some other writers to talk about it.

There have been some other great reviews for the new set, and it makes me want to see more of it.

New blog!

gunswordfist

gunswordfist

I can't wait until Glory kickboxing comes on tonight. They are having another onight night Heavyweight tournament.

talonmalon333

Shots like these do a good job of summing up why I love Grimm.

It's not an incredibly intelligent show or a particularly deep one, and in some cases (like those images show) it's not always the most professional show. But it's just more fun than most shows out there currently. It's a flawed series. The CGI is rather cheap (although you honestly get used to it for the most part and how its used) and it has its fair share of cliches. But the main group of characters and the energy that was put into the show make it very worthwhile.

Avaitor

It's almost Emmy time, and I'm bored enough to compile another brief list of hopeful winners.

Outstanding Drama

Breaking Bad-: Come the fuck on, do I need to explain?

Alternate take- Hannibal: On the whole, I may prefer GOT, but Hannibal had a better year. Better than just about anything, really. God, it's a gorgeous show.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama

Tie between Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen, because they're just too good to decide on. Cranston is a godsend, but he's already won 3 times, so

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama

Tatiana Maslany. And for an alternate take, Tatiana again. But seriously, no one comes close to the range she pulls in every single scene on Orphan Black. but if I had to, Keri Russell would be a good choice

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama

Peter Dinklage all but signed his acceptance speech with his confession earlier this season, and we knew it. He definitely deserves a second Emmy.

Alternate take- either Dean Norris or Charles Dance. Both are absolutely fantastic in their roles and have given some of their best performances this season.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama

It's about time that Mad Men won an Emmy for its spectacular acting, and Christina Hendricks is the best option out there.

Alternate take- Anna Gunn won last year, but check out "Ozymandias" again and tell me that she doesn't deserve another addition to her shelf. Especially since my usual choice, Emilia Clarke, hasn't necessarily been on her A-game lately.

Outstanding Directing in a Drama

I mentioned Breaking Bad's "Ozymandias", and yeah, give the Brick guy an Emmy. He deserves it.

Alternate take- Oh fuck, there's some really good choices here. The most recent GOT episode had some killer action, and there's always top-shelf work in Mad Men and The Americans, but in terms of conflict and dramatic weight, the Hannibal finale had some great work in it. I'd lean with that

Outstanding Writing in a Drama

Vince Gilligan for "Felina". Yes.

Alternate take- George R.R. Martin for "The Lion and the Rose". Yes.

Outstanding Comedy

Now, I consider Orange is the New Black as more of a drama than a comedy, but that's how the awards have been viewing it, so I'll be glad to oblige. And it is consistently funny as shit, so that's an easy vote.

Alternate take- Hey, Louie's back! I had some issues with the last season, but this one is an improvement, so maybe next time it'd be my #1 choice (wait no, OITNB's first season is the only one applicable, so probably not!)

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy

I don't think Louie C.K. is the best actor on earth, but he does a great job with his role, and definitely deserves the award over Jim Parsons.

Alternate take- Honestly, we're kind of low on great lead actors on TV, but it'd probably be a tie with Joel McHale or Josh Radnor. Just don't give the award to Mr. Bazinga again, please.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy

Taylor Schilling, no question. I'm not a huge Chapman fan, but she is absolutely incredible as her.

Alternate take- I wasn't hot on this seasons of Parks and Rec, and Leslie in particular annoyed me, but I'd rather see her win than JLD take it again. I like Veep, but for whatever reason, I can never love it, despite this being the best season yet.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy

This is between two great characters that we had to say goodbye to this season, Barney Stinson and Abed Nadir, and while I'm ultimately more of a Barney fan, the finale did piss me off enough to let me side for Danny Pudi. But NPH is a close second.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy

Cristin Milioti. If you don't think that she was perfect as the Mother, you're wrong. She was a revelation all season long, from her train ride with Lily to that sweet little scene underneath the umbrella.

Alternate take- Wow, there were so many great female characters on OITNB. My vote for runner-up is honestly tied between Uzo Aduba, Kate Mulgrew, and Laverne Cox.

Outstanding Directing in a Comedy

Pam Fryman for "How Your Mother Met Me". She was always excellent as the show's main director, and this is her best piece this year.

Alternate take- Hmm, Tristram Shapeero for "Cooperative Polygraphy", which has got to be the best Community episode of the season.

Outstanding Writing for a Comedy

Thomas and Bays fucked up the finale, but I just love "How Your Mother Met Me" too much to not give them the nod for that. There's a lot of great callbacks to previous episodes here, as well as enough original material to make Tracy as lovable as fans could have hoped she would be.

Alternate take- I could have gone with another OITNB episode, or something from Louie, and I might, but I'll also name-drop Aisha Muharrar and Michael Schur's script for "Ann and Chris", which was easily the highlight of Parks and Rec this season, and a damn-fine goodbye for the titular characters.

And watch as I'm way off, and none of these win. But oh well, I'm just sharing hopefuls, not speculation.

New blog!