TV Rocks

Started by Dr. Insomniac, February 09, 2012, 09:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

in good late night news, i am glad colbert is taking over for letterman.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

YAH-TAH! CONOR MCGREGOR WON!!!!!

Avaitor

Tatiana Maslany finally gets an Emmy nod, while Jim Parsons doesn't. Not a bad year.

Although I do wish that the OITNB ladies got more nominations. But I can't complain about Emilia Clarke and Lena Headley both getting one. Actually, the whole Supporting Actress in a Drama selections are quite strong.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey getting nominations is almost like Emmy tradition by this point, so it's no surprise. Though I feel like we always have at least one other supporting actor or actress from this show who end up getting snubbed to make room for other shows. This is the first time that Emilia Clarke has received a nomination, however, if I'm not mistaken. To be honest, while I've always liked her in the role, I've never viewed it as particularly award-worthy, myself, but I'm still glad for her. At least this should be some consolation for how much damage Terminator: Genisys probably did to her image. That said, I'd argue that Natalie Dormer is a better actress than her, personally.

In terms of directing nominations, I noticed that GOT had two nominations. "Mother's Mercy" by David Nutter makes sense to me, but how the hell did "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken" get nominated over "Hardhome" as far as best directing for an episode goes?

On another note, I'm glad to see Bob Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks get well-deserved nominations for Better Call Saul.

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 16, 2015, 12:54:56 PM
This is the first time that Emilia Clarke has received a nomination, however, if I'm not mistaken.
Nope, she was nominated back for season 3. I remember because I was disappointed that she got the nom instead of Michelle Fairley. :P

i think Emilia is great, but she's rarely the GOT actress that I most want to win. This year, I would definitely side with Lena, but my most hopeful winner for the award in general has to be Christina Hendricks.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, Fairley definitely deserved it more, that year.

And personally I'm still bummed out that Charles Dance always got snubbed for his performance in past seasons, and Iain Glen has shown incredibly good emotional range and nuance in recent seasons of the show. That said, I can't complain about Dinklage constantly getting the nominations, because the guy clearly steals every scene that he's in.

Avaitor

Just for the hell of it, here are my hopefuls for the main awards.

Outstanding Drama- Orange is the New Black
Outstanding Comedy- Louie
Lead Actor in a Drama- Jon Hamm
Lead Actress in a Drama- Tatiana Maslany
Lead Actor in a Comedy- Louis CK
Lead Actress in a Comedy- Amy Poehler
Supporting Actor in a Drama- Jonathan Banks
Supporting Actress in a Drama- Christina Hendricks
Supporting Actor in a Comedy- Titus Burgess
Supporting Actress in a Comedy- Jane Krakowski

New blog!

Avaitor

GREAT news!

When I learned that the movie rights for Y was returned to BKV last year, I was really hoping that he would take the series to TV. I just don't see it work as a film franchise. It would be hard for it to connect to a big audience in theaters, and we'd only get a fraction of the story as a result.

Television allows for more time to grow, in terms of both finding an audience and as the story expands. But personally, I do wish that this was going to HBO, or even Netflix, so it can get away with a little more. I think FX makes some great programs, but they're a little more limited in terms of what they can get away with.

New blog!

gunswordfist

I'd prefer Netflix..since I have neither FX or HBO but FX gets away with a lot. Hell, from what I've seen, The Shield is more "adult" than Daredevil. But then again I don't know if they've gotten stricter since then. I haven't read Y so I don't know what to expect though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I wasn't sure where exactly to post this, but in recent news, it looks as though Snowpiercer may be getting a TV series....which is as genuinely intriguing of a concept as it is a flat-out bizarre one.

For those of you who don't know, Snowpiercer is one of the best sci-fi movies of the past few years, and also probably ever. That said, it's a pretty self-contained story that's perfect as a movie, but doesn't exactly scream TV series to me. I mean, what exactly would all of that extra air-time accomplish? Is there really that much more story or character-development to tell or show us?

Since I love the movie, I of course won't outright dismiss the concept. If something great can come out of this, then I'm all for it. I'm just skeptical as to what exactly that might be. Hopefully the showrunners can successfully answer that question, if and when the show ever comes out.

Avaitor

It's, uh, different. I am curious as well, though.

New blog!

Avaitor

But in good news.

Holy shit, that's a great trailer. I usually try to avoid them, but I needed to see what they're doing with Paige, and I'm curious to see how this year goes for her.

New blog!

Avaitor

I said that I'm not as into making lists anymore... but here are my favorite shows made in the 2010's:

10- Nathan for You
9- Halt and Catch Fire
8- One Day at a Time
7- Orange is the New Black
6- Fleabag
5- Hannibal
4- Enlightened
3- Archer
2- The Americans
1- BoJack Horseman

And also my top shows continued from before the decade:

5- Tie between How I Met Your Mother and Community
4- Parks and Recreation
3- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
2- Mad Men
1- Breaking Bad

It's also worth noting that I prefer Mad Men to Breaking Bad overall, but credit where credit is due that BB really hit its stride as the teens started. Overall though, it was a good decade for TV.

New blog!