TV Rocks

Started by Dr. Insomniac, February 09, 2012, 09:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Noice! I'll add Leisure Hive to my queue, as well.

So I should start with Spearhead From Space, then? Alright.

gunswordfist

Honestly, I've watched my tv like three times to see a few minutes of Powerpuff Girls over the last few weeks.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Foggle on February 09, 2012, 10:01:22 PM

So I should start with Spearhead From Space, then? Alright.
Its the first show in color and its THE ONLY Doctor Who made 100% on film instead of tape. Classic Who never got slicker.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on February 09, 2012, 09:23:21 PM
This genre is something I think live action television and film do far better than animation (though print is definitely the best medium for it). I mean, I love Cowboy Bebop and all, but I'd say no other cartoon really comes close to non-animated SF. Not even Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which I'm kind of struggling to get through. I mean, it's good, yeah, but it's been fairly predictable so far and even boring at times. Vastly overrated by anime fanatics.
That's because animation has been too often too cliched or too kid friendly for the scifi genre. Outside of superhero cartoons, it's completely laughable to think scifi can get any kind of justice from the west. Not that I'm a much bigger fan of anime's library since I think Akira and Ghost In The Shell are extremely overrated and only like a few scifi anime series.

Foggle

I do love me some GitS, but it's most definitely overrated. Ironically, I think Innocence (the sequel that absolutely no one likes) is the best part of the series.

gunswordfist

Anyway, my favorite type of show is one with a really clever character that doesn't describe what the hell he's doing in a completely stupid manner (I'm looking at you Numb3rs with your stupid ass scenes of showing images of barbarians and shit out of nowhere) That would make Burn Notice and Prison Break my favorite shows.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on February 09, 2012, 10:23:38 PM
I do love me some GitS, but it's most definitely overrated. Ironically, I think Innocence (the sequel that absolutely no one likes) is the best part of the series.
What the hell is Innocence? Anyway, I just can't get into the show. The dull way every single character delivers lines is an instant turn off.

Foggle

Innocence is the sequel to the movie.

The show starts out fairly lame, but it gets pretty good once you hit the Laughing Man arc.

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 09, 2012, 10:27:53 PM
Anyway, my favorite type of show is one with a really clever character that doesn't describe what the hell he's doing in a completely stupid manner
So you hate all anime? :joy:

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 09, 2012, 10:29:44 PM
What the hell is Innocence? Anyway, I just can't get into the show. The dull way every single character delivers lines is an instant turn off.
Well, it's kinda justified given how all but one of the cast are battle-hardened cyborgs.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on February 09, 2012, 10:39:20 PM
Innocence is the sequel to the movie.

The show starts out fairly lame, but it gets pretty good once you hit the Laughing Man arc.

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 09, 2012, 10:27:53 PM
Anyway, my favorite type of show is one with a really clever character that doesn't describe what the hell he's doing in a completely stupid manner
So you hate all anime? :joy:
:lol: I honestly hate most anime. I'll give you that.
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 09, 2012, 10:40:10 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on February 09, 2012, 10:29:44 PM
Well, it's kinda justified given how all but one of the cast are battle-hardened cyborgs.
:wth:

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I have no shame in admitting I've watched some Telenovelas simply for the cheesecake and the convoluted plots.

Also, I love syndicated adventure serials. I grew up watching shows  Hercules, Xena, Mutant X, Final Conflict and Highlander on the weekends, and I've been trying to track down that one show that aired recently. Legend of the Seekers I think. The best things about these shows is how they're always guaranteed a long running time, so they get some good stories out of it despite the limited budgets.

Avaitor

This is why I love TV.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

Modern Family is pretty much the only current show I keep tabs on. I really just love the family dynamics in this show and how connected they are. That and I find everyone having a distinct personality and a total joy to watch. I usually hate the common family model that Phil and Claire have in other shows, but I love how this show has both of them being right about things equally.

Dr. Insomniac

Been slowly getting into Modern Family myself, and I can't help but enjoy how woven the plots between the three families are.

Avaitor

Yeah, it's very tightly done. The Dunphys are my personal favorite though, if only for Phil.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/