Wreck It Ralph

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 16, 2012, 04:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I do feel bad for them in that they need to find a way to get more butts in the seats, but the answer to that is to simply make better movies. This is one of the few movies this year where I absolutely wanted to see it on the big screen, and it's been growing steadily less every year as there is less and less variety to choose from.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

The theater we're going to has come to the point where they sell cheaper tickets for both regular and 3D showings, and you can see which option is winning.

It's beyond just a price thing. People just don't want 3D.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

I'm off Monday, so I've already made my plans to see it then. I just hope the matinees aren't too overly packed with kids (had that problem with Rango).

Can't wait to see this, though. Looks great.

Peanutbutter

Saw it with my aunt. Aside from the great visuals and fun cameos (especially loved Sonic giving that PSA about dying outside the games, as I loved Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog when I was younger), it has a lovable cast and genuinely great uplifting story. Sarah Silverman is a little on the too annoying side a couple times, but even her character I wanted to see come out okay.

Spoiler warning, but I have to say I surprised when that King Candy guy turned out to be Turbo (whom I assumed was deleted when he got his game unplugged). The last form he took when taking on Ralph freaky but awesome looking. All in all, yeah it's a great movie. The critics are right to call this the best animated movie of the year, and I say that as someone who wasn't disappointed at all with Brave.

Goldstar

I saw yesterday. Since I work from home, I was able to take the afternoon off to go see it. The theater wasn't crowded when I came. There were some parents who brought their kids to see the movie, but thankfully the theater wasn't packed with them.

The cameos were cool. Kudos to Disney for remembering the old Tapper video game. That was a really obscure reference. Unfortunately, Disney wasn't able to secure the rights to the Mario Brothers, so the only thing we got Mario-wise was a casual mention of the character by Fix-It Felix Jr.

As for the story, well, I don't want to spoil if for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. I liked Ralph as a character, and the dynamic between Ralph and Felix was OK, but I felt that their relationship could have been touched upon a little more, seeing as how the 2 of them were basically a pastiche to Donkey Kong (Ralph) and Mario (Felix). I thought that a better ending would have been if Ralph had gotten to star in his own spinoff game where he's the hero (which of course is actually happened with Donkey Kong) but the ending that we actually got was good also.

Some fans will undoubtedly be disappointed that Ralph only "game jumps" into 2 other games, Hero's Duty and Sugar Rush, which is where much of the 2nd half of the film takes place, but Sugar Rush looked amazing, the backgrounds and graphics were really well rendered and the racers were super cute. I think that Disney should at least consider making Sugar Rush game for real. If they made it, I'm sure people would play it.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Silverstar

I liked it.

I'll preface by mentioning that I'm a very, very, very, very casual gamer (these days I probably only play about 1 or 2 games a year), but Goldstar and I have a younger brother who's a hardcore gamer, so I have a ton of exposure to video game-related things, so I was able to appreciate the many references and allusions to games and game culture (for example: the infamous fake NES code which would supposedly allows you to play as Simon Belmont in Ninja Turtles 2: the Arcade Game pops up in an unexpected place). Sure, there probably could've been a few more cameos in the movie, but I don't count that as a strike against the film since the story wasn't about them. The stuff they did toss in there got pretty darn obscure; they even included the old Tapper game and the chef from Burger Time.

The story itself was a little melodramatic, but nice. Everyone played their parts well, and I have to admit I kind of identified with Ralph as the perpetual outsider looking in and just wanting to be included and appreciated.

Overall, a fun film. There are already 2 songs from the soundtrack that I plan to get mp3s of: "Wreck-It Ralph" and Sugar Rush".

The Paperman short was sweet, was I think Disney should've released it with another movie; it was too artsy and romantic themed to be appreciated by a kid audience.

BTW, does anybody know who that blue skinned lady was at the Bad-Anon meeting? Was she a made-up character or from an actual game? She was hot.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Foggle

Quote from: Silverstar on November 03, 2012, 10:19:44 AM
but Goldstar and I have a younger brother who's a hardcore gamer
Bronzestar!?

Spark Of Spirit

I also enjoyed it. My only issue was that it needed more Felix and Ralph interaction, but otherwise it was as good as I was expecting. It would have been nice to see Mario, but since the rights issues were a problem I can live without it.

The fun part was seeing a bunch of kids playing in the mini-arcade outside the theater after the movie.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Just got back from it, was a pretty cool little movie.  Lot of video game references,which I loved(anyone catch the TMNT arcade cabinet during the montage at the beginning?  What about the racer flooding out her kart a la Mario Kart during the race at the end?).
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

I missed a lot of references that I'll probably have to catch on a re-watch, but yeah I saw the TMNT cabinet.

Too bad they removed Dr. Wily from the original self-help scene, since Capcom was clearly willing to play ball here I can only imagine why nothing Mega Man was let in.

Commode

I'm kinda confused about Sonic's inclusion(although I loved his PSA, and the fact that he lost his rings when he was hit by the space ship), most of the video game stuff in the movie was geared primarily towards arcade games, while Sonic is mainly a home console franchise.  Has he been in an arcade title, like the arcade Mario Karts?
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, he's been in SegaSonic The Hedgehog and Sonic The Fighters that were both arcade games. They weren't particularly great, but yeah he was in them. Mega Man was in an arcade game too, with Mega Man Power Battles (and its sequel) so he could have been there, too.

But the real reason Sonic was in it was because of the tie-in to Sonic All Star Racing where Ralph is a playable character.

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 03, 2012, 08:59:25 PM
But the real reason Sonic was in it was because of the tie-in to Sonic All Star Racing where Ralph is a playable character.
Yep, this is why Sonic and Robotnik get to be on the poster, but Mario and Bowser don't. And while we're at it, I loved seeing the MGS exclamation point and character sketches in the Tapper hallway.

And yeah, I really enjoyed it too. It doesn't feel like a modern Disney movie in a traditional way, but totally fits into the canon in a spiritual way. Even if you're not a video game fan, the movie still has a big heart and a great sense of humor. Not everything works, but I don't see how anyone could get less than a couple of laughs from the film.

And I want Disney to recreate Sugar Land in the parks. Even if they just make a candy store somewhere.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Does anyone want to talk about Paperman? Because the animation in that was like classic Disney and Pixar merged into one being somehow. I could barely even tell it was 3D at some points!

Avaitor

Paperman was nearly as good as the movie itself! It's a really sweet, funny little thing, just like WIR.

New blog!