Wreck It Ralph

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 16, 2012, 04:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

True. There were even low points during Walt's own time. I do find the 60's films to be hit or miss depending on my mood and I don't know about you, but I always skim through the package features. Not enough people seem to remember that.

And I don't know about you, but I'd rather have something entertaining from Disney that might not be like their typical work, such as Emperor's New Groove or Wreck-It Ralph, than see them go through every freaking Grimms or Hans Christian Anderson story like some people such as Duster want them to do.

Besides, as you can see, even when Disney does do fairy tales again, like PATF and Tangled, he still finds little things to nitpick about because he's ultimately just a fan for nostalgia. Hell, I think he even said at one point that he doesn't consider Mickey and the gang to be a part of the "essence". Need I say more?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I was glad when they did ENG at the time since IIRC that had a string of very similar movies before it (my chronology isn't so good), and it was a breath of fresh air. But Disney also didn't put any weight behind it so it didn't do too well at the time. After that they sort of just tried making films they were expected to make, and I think that was the problem.

While you could probably say the same for TP&TF, I think that film was more about remembering themselves and reestablishing what it means to be a Disney movie. And on that end, it was a real success. Not perfect, but that's okay, it doesn't need to be to be a great movie.

I actually think right now Disney is the best they've been (TV department aside) since the 90s.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Dr. Frankenollie, as far as I am aware, 101 Dalmatian's plot was very much the same. The most changed thing was what characters did and how much money they had? For The Jungle Book, all I know of changing is some characters' traits/reputations, and because the book covered many different stories, they made one cohesive story.

With Tangled, not only were the main character's backgrounds changed, but the plot. Not only set upon a completely different idea (instead of a witch exchanging lettuce for a child of her own, an ordinary woman steals a baby for magic hair to stay young?!), but in the middle the film completely diverges with no loving visiting prince but a thief taking the main character on an adventure, and then the only thing the ending has in common with the original is cut hair and a wound healed by tears. :/

So yea Tangled is more changed than the other two!

I'm rereading this thread, and seriously, despite always being proven wrong, this is all he ever says. This guy is beyond a broken record.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 08, 2012, 12:22:30 AM
Yeah, I was glad when they did ENG at the time since IIRC that had a string of very similar movies before it (my chronology isn't so good), and it was a breath of fresh air. But Disney also didn't put any weight behind it so it didn't do too well at the time. After that they sort of just tried making films they were expected to make, and I think that was the problem.

While you could probably say the same for TP&TF, I think that film was more about remembering themselves and reestablishing what it means to be a Disney movie. And on that end, it was a real success. Not perfect, but that's okay, it doesn't need to be to be a great movie.

I actually think right now Disney is the best they've been (TV department aside) since the 90s.

Kind of. After Emperor's, they went into a more adventure-oriented direction with Atlantis, and Treasure Planet. Unfortunately, those didn't do to well either, if I'm getting my facts straight. After that, they made two more rather forgettable films (sans Lilo & Stitch) and stopped making traditionally animated films altogether until recently.

At least that's the way I see it.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 07, 2012, 11:45:17 PM
QuoteToy Story 3 was depressing and had an ending that made no sense (toys live forever and move on to other owners while their owners die, such a happy ending!)
This person must have went in with a negative attitude. You can't get nothing out of this movie unless you want to get nothing.
Well I guess Armond needs something to do in his spare time.

Eddy

Gotta say, I'm pretty excited for this movie. Even if Zangief isn't a bad guy his inclusion in the trailer was hilarious.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Finally got around to watching the trailer. I loved the way everyone's designs mesh so well in this world. Marked out big time at seeing the modern appearances of Bowser, Dr. Eggman and M. Bison despite this supposedly being based on 80's games.

I got a good laugh out of the Halo-like game he joins in too. Jane Lynch as one of the captains made me immediately think of Gears of War.

Daxdiv

That other site has provided a casting list for most of the video game cameos.

So they got Ryu, Ken, & Sonic current VAs in this movie as well. Pretty neat. I also kind of like how Ed O'Neill is in this movie as the arcade owner.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My reactions to some of the casting choices:

Alan Tudyk- Hey, he's the guy who played Wash in Firefly/Serenity. Cool! ;D

Roger Craig Smith- Wow, I never actually realized that he did both Captain Marvel and is the most recent voice of Sonic. Awesome! Also, even better, this confirms that Sonic will make a cameo appearance in the movie! :thumbup:

Kyle Hebert- As in the VA who did a bunch of voices for FUNimation, including the voice of adult Gohan from DBZ that I grew up with? That just plain kicks-ass. :happytime:

Daxdiv

Remember when Disney/Pixar went out of their way to make a retro ad for Lotso in Toy Story 3? Well Disney did it again with Wreck It Ralph ad at the arcade this takes place in.

I do say that even if this film might be a flop for Disney, you do got to love all the attention to detail they're doing to this film. I mean they even made a Fix-It-Felix Jr. Arcade machine.

Silverstar

Quote from: Eddy on June 20, 2012, 01:00:53 PM
Gotta say, I'm pretty excited for this movie. Even if Zangief isn't a bad guy his inclusion in the trailer was hilarious.

Yeah, I didn't get why Zangief was included among the video game bad guys, unless they were going by the continuity of the Jean-Claude Van damme movie old Street Fighter animated series which was based on the movie, in which 'Gief worked for Bison; in the game he was just another combatant in the tournament.

But that little nitpick aside, I can't wait to see this movie. This is the first Disney movie that I actually plan to go to the theater to see in a long time.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

gunswordfist

I believe "What characters would you like to see in the movie?" was asked here and I'd go with Proto Man and Quote. Knowing Capcom, seeing Proto Man in the movie will be as unlikely as seeing Quote in it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

While trying to plan a group event to see the movie tomorrow, I saw that one of my local theaters have 5 showings a day for it in 2D, but only 2 in 3D.

Says a lot, huh?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I should be seeing this within the next two days or next week. Either way, it should be good.

Oh yeah, and 3D is deservedly dying. No way am I going to pay more money to get sick.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

We're doing the other theater, which has 10 2D shows and still only 2 3D shows.

I don't know if I should feel bad for the studios banking on 3D so hard or not. Its peak with Avatar and Alice and HTTYD was almost a fluke, and it feels like it's been so long since 3D was en vogue. But I have no remorse for it.

New blog!