Naoki Urasawa

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, February 17, 2012, 05:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Volume 4 of Monster came out this week. Do you guys have it yet? I just picked it up, myself, but I won't get around to reading it until I finish my full read-through of Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Mine was delivered over a week ago. I haven't read it yet since I send all my anime/manga orders to my house, not my residence hall, so I won't get to read it until May.

Spark Of Spirit

Mine should be shipping tomorrow.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Urasawa will be hosting a new show that will give "a behind-the scenes look at the lives and works of popular manga artists." The first four episodes will be about the following mangaka:

9/4 - Akiko Higashimura (Princess Jellyfish, Kakukaku Shikajika, etc.)
9/11 - Kazuhiro Fujita (Ushio & Tora, Karakuri Circus, etc.)
9/18 - Inio Asano (Solanin, Oyasumi Pun Pun, etc.)
9/25 - Takao Saito (Golgo 13, Japan Sinks, etc.)

...Holy shit do I want to watch this. I wish Crunchyroll would sub it, because it'll be a fascinating look at various mangaka and the industry, for sure. Especially when the host is Urasawa and the debut episodes are featuring mangaka of that caliber, hot damn.

gunswordfist

I will be looking out for the Fujita episode...
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Now that sounds interesting. It would be perfect for Crunchyroll.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

Holy shit that's amazing. :joy:

Spark Of Spirit

Some obvious ones I'd like to see should he get the chance:

Akira Toriyama, Eiichiro Oda, Nobuhiro Watsuki, Takehiko Inoue, ONE, Yoshihiro Togashi, Mitsuru Adachi, Makoto Yukimura, Kentarou Miura, Takeshi Obata (since Ohba is very secretive, I'd think only one of them is likely), Makoto Raiku, and Yasuhiro Nightow most of all. That might be a long list, but I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of good stuff to hear from them.

LumRanmaYasha

Definitely! I'd also love to see Hirohiko Araki, Yusei Matsui, Kiyohiko Azuma, Tsutomu Nihei, Kaori Mori, Miki Yoshikawa, Yoshiki Nakamura, Yumi Tamura, Mocoyo Anno, Kyoko Okazaki, Ai Yazawa (especially if we can learn why it's taking her so long to resume Nana), and of course (as you'd expect of me) Rumiko Takahashi. Hell, I'd even be interesting in seeing Kishimoto, and even Mashima in spite of how much I hate FT, just for the heck of it. Just getting a peak into the lives and histories of various different and eclectic mangaka is really interesting and exciting to me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd even watch one of Tite Kubo just for shits and giggles.

But the only one that nobody mentioned that I want to see is Naoki Urasawa hosting an episode about himself and his life as a mangaka.

Also, while it's physically impossible, if they ever invented a time machine, an episode about Osamu Tezuka would be the best thing ever.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 24, 2015, 05:57:13 PM

But the only one that nobody mentioned that I want to see is Naoki Urasawa hosting an episode about himself and his life as a mangaka.

I assumed that was a given. In fact, I'm expecting that'll be the very last episode.  ;)

gunswordfist

Buronson, Tetsuo Hara (I assumed he was a lot older than he is, if not dead. That's a bad habit of mine.), Yoshiki Takaya, Keisuke Itagaki and Kazuo Koike (I really thought he was dead. Age is about right though  :thinkin: Unfortunately, Goseki Kojima has in fact passed...) are the handful of guys I can think of out of all the mangaka that have not been named yet.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on August 24, 2015, 06:05:27 PM
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 24, 2015, 05:57:13 PM

I assumed that was a given. In fact, I'm expecting that'll be the very last episode.  ;)
Natch. Of course I'd like to see that.

Heck, I'd probably watch it if it was about anybody. It sounds like it would quite the show for a manga fan.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

A couple more:

-George Morikawa: I'd love to hear about what it's like to have been writing HnI for over 25 years now, and all while he's still going. There have been far longer manga, of course,  but it'd still make for a good episode.

-Tetsuya Chiba: Granted that I don't think that he's worked on anything major in a while, but since Takamori passed away over 25 years ago, Chiba is the other half of the brains behind my favorite manga/comic book series ever. That, and he's done other notable works throughout his career. Sure, I didn't like the Matsutaro anime, but I'm not holding that against Chiba at all since I haven't actually read any of his manga, and also because Toei Animation is a terrible studio that could fuck up anything (look at how badly they messed up Sailor Moon and BOG, just for recent examples). However, an episode about him can help me learn more about what else he's done in his career as a mangaka.

Avaitor

I don't have anything to add that you guys haven't already brought up. Damn!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/