Naoki Urasawa

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, February 17, 2012, 05:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shadow Gentleman

Went ahead and placed my order.

Man, with this, JoJo's rerelease, and all the superhero comics I'm reading, I'm going to have one packed shelf soon.

Spark Of Spirit

I have to say, by the way, those covers for the perfect editions are awesome.

I'd post them here, but I think they'd be too big.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

I just got my copy of the first Perfect Edition.

If you haven't collected the manga yet, this is the edition to get. Viz went all out on the design and page quality and at two volumes per edition, you get a lot of content. As well they should as this is, in my opinion, the best manga ever.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Mine should be coming by tomorrow. I'd expect the page quality is as good as the Ranma omnibuses, if not better. The covers are easily cooler looking than Ranma's, so I have no reason to think otherwise.

Master Keaton will no doubt receive a likewise quality release come December.

The Shadow Gentleman

Got my copy today as well. It's a really well done print. Love the design of it all.

Avaitor

I have mine too! I'll start reading it tonight.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

I just finished reading the set, and I feel like I'm in love with the story all over again. Can not wait for the next volume.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It ends at a really good point. Just that touch of hope to get you waiting for the next volume.

In case anyone wants to know, the last chapter in this volume is the soldier and the little girl. It ends just as Tenma begins his quest to find Johan and leaves behind his old life.

Avaitor

Yeah, such a great chapter. It's a good sampling of the positive touch Tenma hands out to many of the people he meets on the way in the story.

I get that manga stories like this aren't action-packed or, well, Kawaii enough for most western fans, but it's such a great story that I hope it catches on this time.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I really want to get myself a copy of this omnibus addition, but right now I just don't have the funds for it, unfortunately. That said, my local library has the entire manga, so I can re-crease the series any time that I want to, and you guys are certainly tempting me to do so, but before that I want to catch up with Vagabond and at least start Vinland Saga.

I also want to re-read Pluto, but I have the desire to read Astro Boy before that, however since it's too hard for me to find the volumes of the manga (and it would be too expensive to collect, anyways), that probably won't be for a while. I still also have to check out some of Urasawa's other series, like Master Keaton, Happy, and Billy Bat, among others. I just have way too much manga on my backlog.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Avaitor on July 21, 2014, 12:35:55 PM

I get that manga stories like this aren't action-packed or, well, Kawaii enough for most western fans, but it's such a great story that I hope it catches on this time.

The first three volumes of this new edition seem to be top-selling manga for Rightstuf so far, so it seems it just might.  ;)

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 21, 2014, 12:58:18 PM
I also want to re-read Pluto, but I have the desire to read Astro Boy before that, however since it's too hard for me to find the volumes of the manga (and it would be too expensive to collect, anyways), that probably won't be for a while.

Your library doesn't have any volumes?  :( Well, the omnibus editions start coming out in October, so the series won't be out of print/unnecessarily expensive to collect for long. 

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 21, 2014, 12:58:18 PM
I still also have to check out some of Urasawa's other series, like Master Keaton, Happy, and Billy Bat, among others. I just have way too much manga on my backlog.

As far as Master Keaton goes, there are only about 30 or so chapters scanned, so you might as well wait until Viz's release of the manga starts coming out in December.

I need to read Urasawa's other works too. I started his first manga, Yawara, a while ago but kinda lost interested in it. Urasawa is just a much better mystery/thriller writer than he is a comedy writer, from what I could see. But, I only read, like, 20 chapters of it and it's a 29 volume series, so I'll give it another go. But as far as his works go, I'm much more interested in getting caught up on Billy Bat before it returns from it's hiatus in October, which I'll probably do once I plow though a few things first.

Avaitor

Well EK, if the current plan to release a new set every 3 months is still prevalent, you might get a chance to obtain the first 2 volumes for your birthday. ;)

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on July 21, 2014, 02:22:41 PM
Well EK, if the current plan to release a new set every 3 months is still prevalent, you might get a chance to obtain the first 2 volumes for your birthday. ;)

:joy:

Avaitor

Wow, there's actually a lot of stuff that I want which is coming out around my birthday. Volume 2 of Monster, season 2 of Courage. season 1 of Rick and Morty... I hope I get some birthday money this year.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I recommend skipping Happy! unless you want your blood pressure raised after every chapter. It's such an aggravating read.

I'm a big fan of the omnibus format, but I'm not the biggest collector of manga, still. Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, and Urasawa are pretty much all that's on my list. Though there are other series like Planetes and Bakuman that I do eventually want to get to.

Unless of course AnJ gets licensed.  :)