"The Secret World of Arrietty" ("Karigurashi no Arietti") Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, February 17, 2012, 11:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Discover a secret world within our own.

Release Date: 2/18/2012 (US)
Studio: Disney/Tokuma Shoten/Studio Ghibli/Nibariki
Director: Hiromasa Yonebayashi
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Voices of: Bridget Mendler, Will Arnett, Amy Poehler, Carol Burnett

Plot Summary: 14-year-old Arrietty and the rest of the Clock family live in peaceful anonymity as they make their own home from items that they borrow from the house's human inhabitants. However, life changes for the Clocks when a human boy discovers Arrietty.

COMMENTS?

LD Talkback #165

Always meant to a Ghibli talkback... now is the time.

Avaitor

I'm... actually not at all interested about this one. Funny, since I normally quite like Ghibli, but I don't feel the need to go see this.

Although DMR is offering up a poster signed by Bridget Mendler for about 1500 points. Since I missed out on the signed posters for Princess and the Frog and Toy Story 3 due to lack of points, I am considering hitting that up for the hell of it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

I liked it, mostly since after one too many clusterfucks, it feels kinda refreshing to watch a Ghibli film on the big screen. Though I have to admit, the pacing's slow, the characters aren't quite pronounced, and it has a lot of Miyazakiesque tropes that you'd normally expect. Probably something that you'd use to introduce kids to Ghibli with.

Daxdiv

I liked it, a little slow/dry for me. I will say that I did like the character of Shawn more than anyone else. Also, what is it with me discovering characters with heart defects recently? Well, other than the maid of the house he was in. I got a good laugh out of her near the end. The animation is still top notch.

Dr. Insomniac

That reminds me, it was interesting that Disney chose now to Americanize some of the things (Sho -> Shawn, etc.). Maybe because it wasn't purely a Miyazaki flick, or they wanted a larger audience or whatever.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 18, 2012, 12:26:09 AM
That reminds me, it was interesting that Disney chose now to Americanize some of the things (Sho -> Shawn, etc.). Maybe because it wasn't purely a Miyazaki flick, or they wanted a larger audience or whatever.
By proxy, you could also argue that Ghibli "Japanized" the original source material.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

So how does it compare to the source material? I know Miyazaki didn't direct this, but I haven't heard about how Ghibli treated the source.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 18, 2012, 06:34:53 PM
So how does it compare to the source material? I Miyazaki didn't direct this, but I haven't heard about how Ghibli treated the source.
Well, it certainly did it better than the previous Borrowers film.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 18, 2012, 06:35:49 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 18, 2012, 06:34:53 PM
So how does it compare to the source material? I Miyazaki didn't direct this, but I haven't heard about how Ghibli treated the source.
Well, it certainly did it better than the previous Borrowers film.
The one with John Goodman, I think? I lost track of how many adaptions there have been.  :-X
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton