DC Nation

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 21, 2012, 07:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I figured that if some doesn't make a topic for this, no one will remember it exists.

Here's an article to get the ball rolling.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

I'll admit that I haven't been keeping tabs on this as much as I like, even though I am interested in the new Green Lantern series and the Teen Titans shorts. That and since the article told me Lauren Faust was doing stuff for this, especially with the female heroes, I'll be sure to keep my eyes out for this.

Dr. Insomniac

So other than the Creature Comforts knockoff, I quite liked it. GLTAS surprisingly wasn't crap, and YJ finally looks like something of Weisman quality.

Avaitor

Was the Green Lantern ep a repeat of the pilot that aired a couple of months ago? I didn't record in case it was.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

I believe it was. I forgot to catch them, so I was glad that my cable provider put up the show in the On Demand section with commercials intact, cause I was able to see the shorts they aired in between the show. I heard they plan to have new shorts every week, even if the shows on the block are repeats. Other than that, I did like the segments that aired in between the shows, like the Green Arrow boxing glove test where they took an arrow with a boxing glove to see if it would knock down some glasses, and the Plastic Man short, I just love the slapstick humor where Plastic Man kept changing his face to fit the description the lady was giving him. The Aardman cartoon was hit or miss for me. I'm interested in seeing the new Teen Titans and the Superman short that will air this Saturday.

Avaitor

I only recorded YJ, but I regret it since I found the shorts that came with it fun. This week I'm also recording Green Lantern, even though I'll just fastforward through it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Daxdiv

I got to say that I'm enjoying the Super Best Friends Forever, Plastic Man, Superman of Tokyo and New Teen Titans out of the shorts they've shown. SBFF is kind of like MLP:FiM meets DC with a dash of Powerpuff Girls. Plastic Man is pretty good slapstick comedy. Superman of Tokyo is funny with playing with some tropes you find in things coming from Japan, and New Teen Titans is a more goofy version of Teen Titans show. That and I also love the other stuff they peppered through them like testing the Batarang or to see if smoke would come out of one of Green Arrow's arrows. That and character profiles for Kilowog and Plastic Man for those that don't know much about them. I actually kind of forgot that Plastic Man was a reformed crook.

As for Green Lantern, I love this series. I might make a thread for it later so it can get some more exposure here. My favorite character in the show right now is a tie between Hal and Razer. I do like how they're not constantly clashing with the Red Lanterns in the series, but rather threats the Green Lanterns find. I also like how they're fleshing out the characters a bit, like Aya, who knew a ship could be one great member to the team.

Avaitor

I finally get to watch this live for once, and I just felt like saying that I really liked the Titans short.

I especially give my hats off to the 80's scene. I've always been partial to Starfire's massive perm.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I also enjoyed it. I think Teen Titans actually works better in this format, since there's less room for the show's traditionally bad pacing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

I honestly thought that the Teen Titans cartoon worked better as a comedy. I loved the humor in the show, I will admit that to you guys. However rewatching it, the show does drag in certain places and in certain episodes. These short do feel like their retained the humor from the main show, which I like.

Other than Teen Titans, what other shorts do you guys like from this block?

Avaitor

Plastic Man's kind of funny. Not as crazy as the pilot, but it's always fun to hear Tom Kenny perform him.

That's really about it though. The Creature Comforts stuff is probably my least favorite. Then again, I'm not a huge Aardman fan to begin with.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Super Best Friends and the Plastic Man stuff are the best ones. The Aardman stuff is surprisingly low quality, even if I'm not much of a fan, this is the worst stuff I've seen from them.

Goldstar

I'm going to 2nd "Super Best Friends Forever". Lauren Faust's take on these DC characters is pretty good. I find it interesting how Ms. Faust chose to portray Batgirl as the "kooky fangirl" and Supergirl as "the tough one", but surprisingly (to me, at least), these characterizations actually work. Nicole (Shego) Sullivan voicing Supergirl is going to take some getting used to, though.

The Plastic Man shorts are wonderfully wacky, as they should be.

The "New Teen Titans" aren't my favorite segments, but they're OK. I have to agree that TT works better as a full comedy rather than an action/comedy. Titans Tower being shaped like a lower case 't' instead of a capital one and Robin having a lower case 'r' on his costume are a nice touch.

My only real complaint about the shorts is that they're so...well, short. SBFF in particular always seems to end abruptly and too soon. It makes me yearn for a half hour SBFF series.

Some people have been asking for some non-comedic shorts for the block, but I personally prefer the shorts to be humorous, since both of the DC Nation shows are action heavy. It just makes for a nicer contrast.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Peanutbutter

I agree that Super Best Friends, New Teen Titans, and the Plastic Man shorts are the best ones. For lack of a better term, they're the most "cartoony" of them and they all click with both shows.

With Super Best Friends, I really loved the first episode where Supergirl and Batgirl tried to get Wonder Girl to let them fly the Invisible Jet, as it played very closely to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

While I thought Teen Titans did do action well, I'm really glad about New Teen Titans. Still a shame to me they couldn't get a sixth season (as there was one being planned), but I'm glad they're back in some form. This past weekend's episode was utterly hilarious!   ;D I really can't believe they got away with Starfire's 80s outfit (especially in her chibi form)!  :sweat:

Daxdiv

Yeah, I kind of forgot how revealing her 80's outfit was. It makes me question what Starfire's reaction to her New 52 outfit would be like. :P

But yeah, watch the shorts last night and I did enjoy both the Teen Titans & Plastic Man.

Kind of glad to see a new Super Best Friends next week, shame that the MAD skit they're airing already was shown on MAD proper. In fact, I think they've been doing that for all the MAD shorts since I do recall seeing the Green Care Bear on the show before. Not sure about Shazamwhich one.