DC Nation

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 21, 2012, 07:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I forgot about Faust's stuff. They're okay, too.

I think that the DC Nation shorts are too short and mostly unfunny, while the Marvel shorts are way too long and unimpressive. I wish that both blocks would find a better compromise for their programming.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Goldstar

Quote from: Daxdiv on April 23, 2012, 03:22:16 PM
Yeah, I kind of forgot how revealing her 80's outfit was. It makes me question what Starfire's reaction to her New 52 outfit would be like. :P

But yeah, watch the shorts last night and I did enjoy both the Teen Titans & Plastic Man.

Kind of glad to see a new Super Best Friends next week, shame that the MAD skit they're airing already was shown on MAD proper. In fact, I think they've been doing that for all the MAD shorts since I do recall seeing the Green Care Bear on the show before. Not sure about Shazamwhich one.

"Shazamwich" originally aired on MAD also.

QuoteWhile I thought Teen Titans did do action well, I'm really glad about New Teen Titans. Still a shame to me they couldn't get a sixth season (as there was one being planned), but I'm glad they're back in some form.

DC and WBA may produce a new Teen Titans series somewhere down the line, but that won't happen until after Young Justice ends. There'd be no point in reviving TT while YJ is still running; 2 "Junior Justice League" shows airing alongside each other would just undermine one another. If there is a new TT show, I would prefer it to be a reboot rather than a continuation of the Cartoon Network series, but that's just me.

QuoteI think that the DC Nation shorts are too short and mostly unfunny, while the Marvel shorts are way too long and unimpressive. I wish that both blocks would find a better compromise for their programming.

Of the 2, I'm going to give the advantage to DC Nation since their shorts are at least original, whereas the Marvel shorts are just "abridged" versions of 2 of the 80s Marvel SatAM cartoons with new goofy dialogue inserted.

Also, this is minor, but I find it kind of annoying how in the "Marvel Mash-Ups", all of the female characters are voiced by men doing falsettos. Couldn't the studio find at least 1 woman to read all the female parts? If nothing else, get 1 of the women from the Ink and Paint department and ask her "Can you say this?"

The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

Quote from: Goldstar on April 24, 2012, 07:44:46 AM
Also, this is minor, but I find it kind of annoying how in the "Marvel Mash-Ups", all of the female characters are voiced by men doing falsettos. Couldn't the studio find at least 1 woman to read all the female parts? If nothing else, get 1 of the women from the Ink and Paint department and ask her "Can you say this?"
Yeah, the women all sound like Tom Kenny.

I don't like when men impersonate women in voice acting. More often than not, they don't do a very good job of it. That's one of my biggest problems with Bob's Burgers, in fact, that only Louise is voiced by a woman.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on April 24, 2012, 08:43:46 AM
Quote from: Goldstar on April 24, 2012, 07:44:46 AM
Yeah, the women all sound like Tom Kenny.

I don't like when men impersonate women in voice acting. More often than not, they don't do a very good job of it. That's one of my biggest problems with Bob's Burgers, in fact, that only Louise is voiced by a woman.
I agree with this, it really isn't needed and is kind of silly.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I will say that I find Edna Mode and Roz hilarious, but those are the exceptions to the rule IMO.

New blog!

Goldstar

We got an Atom centered short this week with a "To Be Continued..." ending. There, for those fans who have been wanting to see a DC Nation short that's not played for laughs (although I'm personally OK with the shorts being comedic), you're in for a treat.

Also, another "Super Best Friends Forever" short this week. I like SBFF, but the segments are always over much too soon. Come on, Warner Brothers. Make this into a series, already.

Spark Of Spirit

SBFF proves to me once again that Faust is a real talent.

As a whole, I'm enjoying the shorts.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

They're now making a new Titans show, based off of the shorts.

Thoughts?

New blog!

Peanutbutter

I'm cool with it, though I hope this doesn't somehow mean Young Justice won't get a third season. Maybe this opens the door wider for Plastic Man and Super Best Friends Forever to get greenlit.

Goldstar

Quote from: Brak's Dad on June 08, 2012, 11:58:01 AM
They're now making a new Titans show, based off of the shorts.

Thoughts?

I read on World's Finest that this new series will be more comedy oriented than action oriented, and will focus more on the main characters' adventures when they're not fighting crime, which is fine by me, since there are plenty of serious DC animated series either already on the air (Green Lantern: TAS, Young Justice) or coming to the air (Beware the Batman). However, I would MUCH rather had gotten a Super Best Friends Forever animated series instead. Why is Cartoon Network so gun shy about green lighting a female centered cartoon series? One of CN's most successful original shows was The Powerpuff Girls, fer cryin' out loud! With TT, it's mostly a case of "Been there, seen that". TT was supposed to end after season 4, but it got another season at the requests of it's fans. TT had a good run, but enough TT, already! Let's see something else, please.

DC and Warner Brothers need to stop playing it so safe and stop revamping franchises that they know work (Teen Titans and Batman) and start being bold enough to produce something that hasn't been resurrected 1000 times before. Fans are cool with a comedic DC animated series, but instead of SBFF , Plastic Man or even Animal Man, we get more TT? Way to think outside the box, guys.

Spark Of Spirit

The shorts have actually been pretty good so far, so I don't mind this. But I would really like a Plastic Man and SBFF as well. Heck, maybe as a variety show each having 10-12 minute shorts per episode.

Avaitor

I really want an Adventure Comics show with more shorts like The Atom two-parter we got myself, but that might be asking for too much.

New blog!

Goldstar

I'd like to see a new Superman animated series, or Wonder Woman, or Captain Marvel before yet another take on Batman. Bats is awesome, there's no denying that, but honestly, I like Bats more as a part of a team like the Justice League than as a solo act, and I'd really like to see a DC animated series that focuses on another hero.

Dr. Insomniac

I'd just say "Fuck off with the superheroes" and try to do something more civilian-based on the DCU. I'd love to see a cartoon based off the GCPD, something with Slam Bradley, or even one with Jimmy Fucking Olsen. I mean, I almost feel like Garth Ennis when it comes to fucking superheroes nowadays. Try to show that DC is more than flamboyant capes.

Eddy

They really are making a new Teen Titans show based on the shorts? I am absolutely okay with this. I've really enjoyed the Teen Titans shorts and can't help but feel the small doses of comedy work better than the majority of the show did.

The Red X one had me cracking up.

I actually haven't seen the majority of the shorts because I forget DC Nation exists half the time. It's a shame because I'd like to see more Super Best Friends Forever and the other shorts.