"Thor" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, March 02, 2012, 09:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

THE GOD OF THUNDER

"Know this, son of Coul. You and I, we fight for the same cause: the protection of this world. From this day forward, you can count me in as your ally, if... you return the items you have taken from Jane. " - Thor

Release Date: May 6, 2011
Studio: Paramount/Marvel
Director: Kenneth Brannagh
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 (Panavision)
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Stellan Skarrsgaard, Colm Feore, Ray Stevenson, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings, Rene Russo, and Anthony Hopkins as Odin

Plot Summary: The warrior Thor (Hemsworth) is cast out of the fantastic realm of Asgard by his father Odin (Hopkins) for his arrogance and sent to Earth to live among humans. Falling in love with scientist Jane Foster (Portman) teaches Thor much-needed lessons, and his new-found strength comes into play as a villain from his homeland sends dark forces toward Earth.

COMMENTS?

LD Talkback #139

This was especially annoying for me to have to redo since apparantly a certain moderator at TZ decided to "delete" my original talkback for it.  ??? :srs:

Spark Of Spirit

I really enjoyed how well done this was. I honestly didn't think there was anyway they could have adapted Thor to live action film and have it look good, but they did it.

Because of it and how good Captain America was, I'm really looking forward to Avengers.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

So Captain America is good too? This movie gets extra points for making the rainbow road actually look cool.

Also, every should read the new Thor The Mighty Avenger comic books. Volume one has a lot of similarities to the movie added with a lot of Marvel fun and Thor's personality really comes off great in it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Captain America is really good. It's basically a superhero movie that takes place in World War II like it always should have been.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Captain America really feels like Joe Johnston's successor to The Rocketeer. It's even better than that, though.

And yes, Thor was great. Just about everyone who saw it with me was impressed, no matter how little they knew about the character or his mythology.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

That movie certainly thought me more about Thor's mythology.

I hope the sequel capitalizes on Thor not being depowered for most of the film.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I went into Thor not expecting much and to my surprise I walked out of the theater having seen a pretty decent super hero movie. Its not nearly one of the best out there, but it was entertaining from start to finish and considering how underwhelming the trailers were its a lot more than what I expected to get. Overall, though, I thought Captain America was a bit of a better film, though. Also, I felt that X-Men: First Class was by far the strongest of the Marvel super hero movies aired that summer, but it says a lot that even Thor, which I found to be the weakest of those 3 films, was still a good movie all the same.

Daxdiv

Thor was amazing. I thought last year was pretty good for Marvel with their comic book movies. I saw this in 3D when it was first out. My opinion is that Asgard was beautiful in 3D, while everything else that took place in our world didn't need it. Other than that, still one of my favorite Marvel hero movies. Because of this movie, Chris Hemsworth is now the voice of Thor whenever I read the comics about him.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Daxdiv on March 03, 2012, 08:57:27 PM
Thor was amazing. I thought last year was pretty good for Marvel with their comic book movies. I saw this in 3D when it was first out. My opinion is that Asgard was beautiful in 3D, while everything else that took place in our world didn't need it. Other than that, still one of my favorite Marvel hero movies. Because of this movie, Chris Hemsworth is now the voice of Thor whenever I read the comics about him.
Dammit, now that's going to happen when I read the comics.

Avaitor

First Class was actually my least favorite of the Marvel movies from last year. I still quite enjoyed it, but it was kind of a "been there, done that" thing for me, while on the flip side, I loved seeing great interpretations of Thor and Cap on the big screen. On top of that, I didn't care for most of the underclassmen mutants as opposed to Xavier and Magneto.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

First Class was my favourite, since it was basically like a Connery-era 007 flick but with superheroes. Cap and Thor were all right, but I couldn't shake that feeling that they were just commercials for The Avengers than anything else.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on March 03, 2012, 09:45:47 PM
First Class was actually my least favorite of the Marvel movies from last year. I still quite enjoyed it, but it was kind of a "been there, done that" thing for me, while on the flip side, I loved seeing great interpretations of Thor and Cap on the big screen. On top of that, I didn't care for most of the underclassmen mutants as opposed to Xavier and Magneto.

The "been there done that" kind of feeling is exactly how I felt about Thor. I mean, it was entertaining, but I felt that nothing about it was necessarily great. Its kind of a standard super hero movie at its core with not much depth to it, but it was executed really well so that's why I still like it. As for First Class, I felt that it had the whole relationship between Xavier and Magneto going on and Magneto's character was especially interesting. Interesting characters was something I felt that Thor really lacked, to be honest. Captain America was pretty close to First Class in terms of quality, for me, but I gave First Class the edge simply because I'm more familiar with X-Men than I man with Captain America (which is to say that I haven't actually read any comics for either, but I've at least seen all of the X-Men movies).

Spark Of Spirit

I thought all 3 were great for different reasons. DC could learn a lot from what Marvel did.

Though one complaint about First Class is that you just know they're building up to something with that Darwin character that will go nowhere like that Senator Kelly tease in the old series. But I digress.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Darwin only had like, what, 2 minutes of screen-time in total? I don't like when a character is introduced just for the sole purpose of killing him off mid-way into the movie. I'll admit that its something I didn't like about First Class, but its not like it kills the movie or anything. It just really annoys me, though. It'd be more effective if they at least had a character like that get some actual "characterization" before killing him off, so that the audience could actually CARE about him dying rather than just having it affect the rest of the group of characters (and considering that they didn't know him that well either, I don't think any of them really cared that much).

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 03, 2012, 10:11:43 PM
Darwin only had like, what, 2 minutes of screen-time in total? I don't like when a character is introduced just for the sole purpose of killing him off mid-way into the movie. I'll admit that its something I didn't like about First Class, but its not like it kills the movie or anything. It just really annoys me, though. It'd be more effective if they at least had a character like that get some actual "characterization" before killing him off, so that the audience could actually CARE about him dying rather than just having it affect the rest of the group of characters (and considering that they didn't know him that well either, I don't think any of them really cared that much).
I meant that his powers were teased in such a way that they could probably bring him back in some way... but they probably won't. Sort of like how it was hinted with Senator Kelly's "death" in the old series that Magneto's plan might have been more in depth than it was with the way he hinted. Of course this went nowhere because of X3, but still, I like plot points like that which build towards something else.