Doctor Who

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 10:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Hooray. We get the guy who wrote this.

Painted Outlaw

Is Chibnall generally bad? Most reaction I'm seeing is "Yay Moffat's gone, Ehh Chibnall"; I've just never heard his name before now so not sure how to feel.

That gif does look rather weird, though.

Dr. Insomniac

He was the head writer on the first two Torchwood seasons, writer of the Silurian two-parter, the Dinosaurs on a Spaceship one, and Power of Three. Outside, he's known for Broadchurch. Both seasons.

Painted Outlaw

Had to check but I remember the Silurian two-parter now. XP This should make for an interesting year, then.

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Insomniac

Oh yeah, Whittaker and Chinballs next year. You know, as polarizing as his era was, I'm going to miss Moffat. Aside from those lame Peter Harness episodes and that shit with the Monks, I thought he gave Capaldi a great 3 years with genuinely entertaining season finales and an alluring character study. I admit he screwed up Series 7, and he probably should've left earlier, but I like to think his run will hold up in the future. As for Chibnall, I'm cautiously optimistic. I watched the first series of Broadchurch recently to get a feel for his recent writing and for Whittaker's acting. I liked it and thought it was a cool murder mystery, but I heard the seasons after take a massive pitfall.

Foggle

Chibnall's previous work on Who isn't too good but it's definitely possible that he could do much better as a showrunner than as an episode writer. Admittedly, I haven't watched enough of the series for my opinion to be too informed, but from what I've seen, I feel like Davies was a better showrunner than writer and Moffat was the opposite, so there's some precedent there. I haven't seen any of Broadchurch but I do hear the first season is excellent. I know a lot of folks hate season 2 but the idea behind it intrigues me - at the very least, they tried something unique, which I respect.

Lord Dalek

*screaming internally*.

Dr. Insomniac

Years and Years and It's a Sin were great shows, so I'm excited what RTD brings after his decade away from the series.

I did genuinely think this would be the last Doctor Who thing RTD would film, before I heard this announcement.