Doctor Who

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 10:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I've been watching this series on and off during the summer, will hopefully catch up since I have my Wii with me now. Surprisingly, my little brother and sister really took to it, I saw them discussing the plots and characters with my fandom-savvy older sister a week ago. It's just mind boggling how such a simple show could capture their imaginations.

Also, I saw a die cast black Dalek at a comic book store and was ready to throw down cash for it, but the dick owner priced it at 50 bucks. No way I'm paying that much for a glorified statue.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on September 09, 2011, 02:00:25 AM
I've been watching this series on and off during the summer, will hopefully catch up since I have my Wii with me now. Surprisingly, my little brother and sister really took to it, I saw them discussing the plots and characters with my fandom-savvy older sister a week ago. It's just mind boggling how such a simple show could capture their imaginations.
That's the charm of the series. With the ability to set a story anywhere and any time, along with a cast that frequently gets changed, the possibilities are endless.

QuoteAlso, I saw a die cast black Dalek at a comic book store and was ready to throw down cash for it, but the dick owner priced it at 50 bucks. No way I'm paying that much for a glorified statue.
Yeah, it turns out they're half that price at Amazon. So he was definitely ripping you off there.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on September 09, 2011, 02:00:25 AM
Also, I saw a die cast black Dalek at a comic book store and was ready to throw down cash for it, but the dick owner priced it at 50 bucks. No way I'm paying that much for a glorified statue.

Good old comic shops, overcharging you for goods that are easy to find. Extortionists to the extreme.

Lord Dalek

Grumpy old Samurai Amy for the win.

Dr. Insomniac

So anybody seen this yet? While everyone seems to think it's cool, I don't really see why. I mean, it's just every 90s anime cliche ever with a Dalek or Cyberman put in. Definitely has good animation though.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Daxdiv on September 09, 2011, 09:32:30 PM
Good old comic shops, overcharging you for goods that are easy to find. Extortionists to the extreme.

Yup. I found a Movie version Red Skull figure at one in my hometown, it was priced at 16 dollars. I passed on it and found it a few days later at Wal-Mart for 6.50.

Still want that Dalek though, I might be willing to buy one from Amazon since I want to abuse the hell out of my Student perks.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, are there any good stand-alone episodes (or multi-parters that aren't more than maybe 3 episodes) that are easily accessible to newcomers to the series (classic or new)? Or does one have to commit to picking a particular series and watching it from the beginning in chronological order?

I've gotten bored of watching the various animated series on my backlog, for the time being, so I figured that I'll try and give this show a shot sometime this week if I can.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 18, 2011, 11:12:23 PM
So, are there any good stand-alone episodes (or multi-parters that aren't more than maybe 3 episodes) that are easily accessible to newcomers to the series (classic or new)? Or does one have to commit to picking a particular series and watching it from the beginning in chronological order?

I've gotten bored of watching the various animated series on my backlog, for the time being, so I figured that I'll try and give this show a shot sometime this week if I can.
Blink's your best bet. The Eleventh Hour's also one that doesn't really require you to have seen the previous stuff. And The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances as well. Really, up until this season, the show hasn't been too demanding on the viewer to have seen all the previous episodes.

As for the classic series, I'd probably recommend Spearhead From Space, Terror of the Autons, or The Time Warrior since you seem like a Pertwee kind of guy to me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've heard other people recommend Blink before. That's the one that has to do with the Weeping Angels if I'm not mistaken, right? Doesn't that also have some follow-up episodes in a later season/series as well?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 19, 2011, 12:01:52 AM
I've heard other people recommend Blink before. That's the one that has to do with the Weeping Angels if I'm not mistaken, right? Doesn't that also have some follow-up episodes in a later season/series as well?
Yeah, Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, thanks for the recommendations, then. I'll try and watch the episodes after my Bio-pharmaceutics exam on Tuesday (or possibly even tomorrow if I get done studying early enough).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just watched the episode Blink. It was pretty good. I did find a few plot points confusing, though; not even stuff relating to the continuity of the series, but just stuff within the episode itself. Still, the concept was neat and the writing and acting were pretty solid for a series of this sort.

I'd try to find more episodes, but they are nearly impossible to find online (and videos on DM don't stream on my computer for some reason, so that options out). I'll have to invest in renting out the DVD sets from Netflix or something when I get the chance.

Avaitor

You can't watch the streams on Netflix?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Not at the moment seeing as how my brother cancelled his account (which is what I was using to stream stuff off of Netflix). Since he's back at college, he may be too busy to watch movies which is why he probably felt it wasn't worth paying for the subscription at the time. I would subscribe to an account myself to stream stuff off of Xbox Live, but unfortunately my gold membership runs out in just a couple of weeks, so it wouldn't be worth subscribing to Netflix unless I was willing to renew my gold membership as well (since it would be kind of silly to be paying about $10 a month just to watch what they have available for streaming on my computer).

So, yeah, things kind of work out to be shitty for me in that way, when there are shows that I really want to watch. ;)

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 19, 2011, 07:43:38 PM
I just watched the episode Blink. It was pretty good. I did find a few plot points confusing, though; not even stuff relating to the continuity of the series, but just stuff within the episode itself. Still, the concept was neat and the writing and acting were pretty solid for a series of this sort.
So what was confusing in particular? Was it the whole time loop business, because that element's gonna appear throughout the show.